Registration is now closed for RAGBRAI XLIX. Transfers are now open!

Guess the Route 2022

(RAGBRAI staff, we need a new category in the forums, RAGBRAI 2022, fyi)

It does not appear there is going to be a guess the route contest again this year. So, how about we do it here instead? Anyone have any ideas, tips, inside info, good guesses, Dieter sightings, etc, etc?
My best guess thus far is an extreme North route, kind of hugging the MN border. Maybe a start in Rock Valley and end in Lansing? Throw in a couple of Lake towns and Mason City in the mix along with a stop at the new Decorah brewery and you would have a nice northern route zig zagging around Hwy 9. What say the rest of you and your crystal balls!
Anybody guesses them all right and I’ll buy you and your team a round at the start town.

57 Replies

LawnchairMan, January 26, 2022 at 2:11 pm

My picks are:
Missouri Valley
Mapleton
Lake City
Webster City
Marshalltown
Oskaloosa
Mt Pleasant
Ft Madison

Barry Schnoor, January 26, 2022 at 2:17 pm

Oh, that stretch from Mo Valley to Mapleton along the Loess Hills could be amazing!!

Uncle Kraig, January 26, 2022 at 4:03 pm

Let’s see how much the rookie can miss by:
Sergeant Bluff
Cherokee
Emmetsburg
Mason City
Decorah
Manchester
Dubuque

Stevecycles200 – I was just going through my spreadsheet prior to Fridays announcement and noticed you only have 7 towns in your guess. If you care to add one more and make your entry official, just reply here and I’ll get it added.

LawnchairMan, January 28, 2022 at 1:25 pm

I’ve made my pick and am staying with them, but I had a thought as I woke today: What if this is the year the A in RAGBRAI stands for around instead of across? Around Iowa in Eight Days could mean we start and end on the same Iowa border. We could start and stop in the same city but loop around Des Moines through the week. Or we could start in Missouri Valley and end in Council Bluffs. The path could look like a balloon on its side. This would drastically change charter service, but it’s still possible. Since I start early I wouldn’t mind a few days that I don’t have the Sun in my eyes in the morning. Does anybody else think this is plausible? Only a few hours to find out!

This reply was modified 5 months ago by LawnchairMan.

hnschipper, January 28, 2022 at 1:43 pm

While it’s a good thought, the ride director said a day or two ago that the route will go west to east.

tdubya500, January 28, 2022 at 3:06 pm

No real thought into this, some of the mileages might be unreasonable…
Shenandoah, marne, Jefferson, ft dodge, clear lake, waterloo, elkader, dubuque

Uncle Kraig, January 28, 2022 at 4:30 pm

Ok fellow riders……contest closed. I have all your entries in my spreadsheet and hope to buying beers for you and your team on July 23rd!

HelenP, January 28, 2022 at 5:42 pm

Hey, wait a moment, please! This newbie just got through a long time of puzzling over previous routes and the state map. Is this a race where only the faster people matter, or more of a fun ride for everyone, hmm?

Seems like this might be an interesting route:

Missouri Valley,
Atlanta,
Winterset,
Knoxville,
Ottumwa,
Mount Pleasant, and
Burlington.

stevecycles200, January 28, 2022 at 6:12 pm

Yeah, I realized that and it wouldn’t let me edit. Rookie mistake! Actually, by adding a town I can do what I was trying to do start a bit south and weave north:
Missouri Valley
Ida Grove
Cherokee
Emmetsburg
Mason City
Decorah
Manchester
Dubuque

Uncle Kraig, January 28, 2022 at 8:06 pm

HelenP – I’m a softie….you’re in. Steve, I’ve got your changes noted. We’ll find out shortly…….Uncle Kraig

HelenP, January 28, 2022 at 8:37 pm

Thank you, Uncle Kraig! :-D
Oops, though, I made the same mistake, so better add Onawa, and correct Atlanta spelling to Atlantic, edited below.

Hey, wait a moment, please! This newbie just got through a long time of puzzling over previous routes and the state map. Is this a race where only the faster people matter, or more of a fun ride for everyone, hmm?

Seems like this might be an interesting route:

Onawa,
Missouri Valley,
Atlantic,
Winterset,
Knoxville,
Ottumwa,
Mount Pleasant, and
Burlington.

Uncle Kraig, January 29, 2022 at 11:02 am

Well, it appears we do not have a winner in this group. We can all try again next year. No formal beer purchases I guess but if you see me in Sgt. Bluff or along the route with an orange helmet with a long pheasant feather sticking out of it and Uncle Kraig written on my bike bag, please say hello. I’ll probably buy you a beer anyway :) See you in July!

Randy Kurt, January 29, 2022 at 12:07 pm

Pretty hard to pick all 8 towns but I see in your original post you mentioned Mason City and Lansing. Not bad. I’ll buy you a beer if I see you in the first bar on the left. Unless it’s on the right.

Sandaltan ., January 29, 2022 at 12:08 pm

Orange helmet and pheasant feather. Got it.

RIDE RIGHT

Denton Kernodle, January 29, 2022 at 12:09 pm

I am note guessing the route but do have a questions. Is there a charter bus going to and from St. Louis?

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI