Guns on RAGBRAI?

I’ve just learned that several members of a team rode RAGBRAI 2013 with small caliber guns. If that’s the case, then I’m done with RAGBRAI.

Anyone else?

45 Replies

“Bicycle Bill”, September 21, 2013 at 7:09 pm

I hereby promise to leave my bang-bang home the next time I ride RAGBRAI.  I find that my great-granddaddy’s Civil War-era cavalry saber works just as well and doesn’t require spending money on ammunition.

-“BB”-

Jboz, September 21, 2013 at 7:29 pm

To the OP, right off the top I want to point out that you are objecting to legal behavior. And that’s OK, but I would like to know what the source of your concern is. Is this really a personal safety issue? If so, you might be barking up the wrong tree. If you really, truly, honestly are concerned for your own safety and wish to avoid becoming a victim of gun violence, your best bet is to avoid virtually every major city in the United States. And to stack the safety odds even more in your favor, put the cities with the strictest gun laws at the top of your “places to avoid so I don’t get shot” list.

Tony, September 22, 2013 at 6:16 pm

This sounds like an anti-gun groupy chummin for debate. If they have CCW permit. Then there is no issue period. They are legal to carry. For what every damn reason they want to carry. You should not be concerned about people that have CCW’s. Are you concerned about law enforcement carrying? They go through the same back grounds checks to get their CCW’s. I will assure you every farm you go by in Iowa has some form of weapon handy. Folks that conceal carry do not advertise there weapons. They’re concealed. People that have CCW’s have been trained and know the laws. Just a FYI. Iowa has one of the highest percent of population with permits. We repsect the consitutional rights to bare arm’s. We respect those that choose and choose not to bare arms. Please do the same.

BB, Like so many others. You have associated CCW’s to firearms. CCW’s include wet weapons (knives & swords), black jacks, night sticks, saps, brass knuckles, chemical sprays, and tazers to name a few. So yes blind folks can have CCW’s. Yes they to can be trained to properly use them.

dw, September 22, 2013 at 8:32 pm

10yr RAGBRAI Rider: Folks:
Can we return to the original topic, “How do you feel about guns on RAGBRAI?” and refrain from casting aspersions on the various authors or their opinions?

And maybe hear from others who haven’t posted their opinions yet?

Thanks

Okay. My opinion is that if they have a permit to carry then it’s all right if they carry.

There’s lots of stuff to do during July. I’m sure you’ll find something to do. (To the OP of the OP)

“Bicycle Bill”, September 23, 2013 at 3:37 am

Tony, in that case I am always carrying a concealed weapon, as I have a knife on my person almost every waking minute of the day.  I have never applied for a permit to carry one, and when I take it out of my pocket when passing through metal detectors at, say, city hall the police officer at the detectors never says a word about it one way or the other.

The only ‘concealed carry’ permit that I have ever heard about is one that specifically allows someone to carry a firearm as a concealed weapon.  It calls for specific training and demonstrated proficiency *WITH A FIREARM*.  So I don’t think making the connection of “concealed carry” to “firearms” is that far off-base.

-“BB”-

Michrider !!!, September 23, 2013 at 3:51 pm

I just might be packing in 2014!!!!

Tony, September 23, 2013 at 6:04 pm

For those that want the facts for Iowa CCW. Go to the below links or ask your local law enforcement.

http://www.iowacarry.org/iclaw.php

http://www.dps.state.ia.us/asd/weapon_permits.shtml

IMO the people with CCW’s are within there rights to carry on RAGBRAI. As long as they abide by the law and local restrictions. If you happen to see someone with a weapon and you think there are breaking the law. Report it to law enforcement. People with CCW’s have been trained on being aproched by law enforcement.

Actually you should be more concearned about who has a knife to cut the pie… BB I’ll share the pie if you cut it up. Remember I get the big slice…

@Trykeman, September 23, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Fine with me if someone with a permit to carry … does.

Papa T, September 23, 2013 at 8:46 pm

I also hear there are people who actually have sex on RAGRBAI. SOME WHO ARE PACKING.

Ben….. M., September 23, 2013 at 11:12 pm

SFC JKL2 has called his friends to come to Maryland with their guns becoming rich. He knows his way from Oshkosh and has probably received his bike that way too!. He calls himslef intelligent too!!!! LOL!

“Bicycle Bill”, September 24, 2013 at 1:29 am

MDer, that last comment of yours was totally uncalled for.

-“BB”-

Michrider !!!, September 24, 2013 at 6:44 am

Once again, I agree with Beebs. I think that happened once before, maybe in 2010! This Forum is supposed to be fun & informative, There is never a reason, for anyone, to make mean comments about any other poster!

Amanda, September 24, 2013 at 7:51 am

Okay, I haven’t been on here for a while and I think this needs a little Princess wisdom. 1st, you don’t pack nonessentials cuz you gotta make room for the essentials (like helmets,bike etc) And your tiara. You don’t want a heavy load to haul across IOwa.
2nd It you do have room, pack an extra tiara or tutu. They are way more fun than a gun. 3rdly why would anyone feel the need to carry a gun on RAGBRAI? I don’t even bring a padlock to lock my bike and a lock a=on my tent… duh…

The only enemy we have on RAGBRAI is the weather and maybe dehydration.

Now if you feel the need to agrue , lets agrue about helmets or sandals vs shoes. Something more realistic on this forum.

Pdiddly, September 24, 2013 at 10:19 am

Nice Job Amanda! Let’s burry this thread and get the 2014 Ragbrai Thread Started! If we keep going down this path its gonna get ugly and very dark cause winter isn’t even here yet. One thing I have always enjoyed about RAGBRAI is its almost clinical APOLITICAL bent. Any discussion of guns nowadays has become completely political and nuts. You have the constitutional right to bear arms. Follow the laws and if you want to pack around a couple pounds of 44 magnum Dirty Harry Power, have at it. Me, I’ll leave my 40 at home to accompany on my walks through the ghetto, not near the cornfields of Iowa. I’d rather save that weight allowance for several tiara’s in case I run into Amanda on the curb next to Michrider.

SFC JKL 2, September 24, 2013 at 12:24 pm

marylander- SFC JKL2 has called his friends to come to Maryland with their guns becoming rich. He knows his way from Oshkosh and has probably received his bike that way too!. He calls himslef intelligent too!!!! LOL!

If you could work on coherent thought, sentence structure, and spell check, you might get somewhere.

I’ve been to Maryland, so yes, I think I can find it. I do have above average intelligence. One of the reasons I’m a college professor. No clue what you meant by “received is bike” Glad you thought it was as funny as when you fart in the tub.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLI – 2013’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015