Guns on RAGBRAI?

I’ve just learned that several members of a team rode RAGBRAI 2013 with small caliber guns. If that’s the case, then I’m done with RAGBRAI.

Anyone else?

45 Replies

SFC JKL 2, September 24, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Amanda- Now if you feel the need to argue , lets argue about helmets or sandals vs shoes. Something more realistic on this forum.

I have a Bell Sweep. I like to wear the visor. Bell has poor quality control, but it is light and fits me very well.

Sandals are the only way to go. Speedplay makes great pedals, but I have to laugh at people trying to walk around town in carbon fiber shoes with Speedplay cleats. It’s touring, not time trialing.

Iceman, September 24, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Jeez – this forum has really degraded lately. What’s going on? Even the old “regulars” seem to have lost interest. And this thread? Guns and grammar?

Come on folks – start thinking about 2014!!

matt Pelzer, September 26, 2013 at 10:40 am

I have no problem with guns on the ragbrai as long as I have some buffers around me LOL. But if one feels unsafe with 25,000 riders plus the cops directing traffic please carry.

Ben….. M., September 26, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Everyone watch this guy, SFC JKL2. He is memeber of theif academy! LOL! He invite them to east coast project.

“Bicycle Bill”, September 27, 2013 at 1:13 am

Marylander, I’d like to point out to you that it is better to be silent and let people think you are a fool than to speak and remove any doubt.

-“BB”-

Ben….. M., September 27, 2013 at 8:24 am

“Bicycle Bill”,

Appraently, you are a fool to get in between of other people discussion.

Michrider !!!, September 27, 2013 at 8:34 am

Marylander: “Bicycle Bill”,
Appraently, you are a fool to get in between of other people discussion.

What purpose does it serve to engage in name calling???

This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Michrider !!!.

TJ Juskiewicz, September 27, 2013 at 8:47 am

Hey folks, we need to behave and be civil. There is no name calling or taunting on this forum. Period. Please respect people’s opinions. Thank you

TJ Juskiewicz, RAGBRAI Director

Pdiddly, September 27, 2013 at 10:51 am

Thank-you TJ. Now, please scratch this whole thread and we’ll try to imagine it never existed! LOL

Mattpii, great response. Love it. I am really trying to imagine who could possibly feel threatened on RAGBRAI. Squirrels trying to cross the street maybe? Fortunately their paws are way to small to operate a heater…. Cagey fuzzy tailed rats could probably figure it out though.

“Bicycle Bill”, September 27, 2013 at 1:31 pm

RE: the fuzzy-tailed rats …..
Pinky: “Gee, Brain, what do you want to do tonight?”
The Brain: “The same thing we do every night, Pinky — try to take over the world!

-“BB”-

Rick Stewart, September 30, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I have an Iowa permit to carry and I will be riding on RAGBRAI next year, all things willing. My first RAGBRAI was XXI, and I have ridden many others. As to whether or not I will be carrying you will never know, all things willing. My permit allows me to carry a ‘concealed’ weapon.

As to why blind people should be allowed to acquire a permit only a sighted person could ask that question. Blind people are particularly liable to be taken advantage of by criminals who prey on people they perceive to be weak, thus the blind have an even greater need to protect themselves. Being blind in no way prevents someone from being a safe weapon handler, nor does it prevent someone from sucessfully using a weapon in self defense (that’s why you get a permit – to defend yourelf, not to attack someone).

Again, only a sighted person would imagine that a blind person cannot take care of him/herself, with a gun if necessary.

Finally, I would feel safer if everyone in Iowa went through the training required to get a permit to carry. Then there would be far fewer ‘gun crazies’ running around worrying about guns, rather than worrying about criminals.

jake d, October 1, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Pdiddly, you obviously haven’t heard of the SLA, Squinney Liberation Army. It is a international organization of terrorist rodents. There usual MO is to stake out trails frequented by bicyclist and run suicide missions across our path in hopes of causing a crash. Lord help us if they start packing heat.

jwsknk, October 1, 2013 at 11:08 pm

Dreading the day the bunny lobby wins the right to carry. And if they team up with the squinneys..
look out. (For you non-iowans, a squinngy is a 13 banded ground squirrel )

Michrider !!!, October 2, 2013 at 7:07 am

Gun packing bunnies? How horrible!!!!

Sandaltan ., October 2, 2013 at 7:46 pm

I used to have some friends that were known as “gun bunnies”, they were a dangerous breed.

RIDE RIGHT

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLI – 2013’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015