Join Us in July - Register Today!

Hand Numbness

I encountered a new problem last year on Ragbrai and still don’t know if there is a simple solution or ??

After day 3 I started to experience numbness in both hands, but more so the left hand.  By the last day I couldn’t change gears using the left hand at all and couldn’t move my fingers very well on either hand – with a lot of numbness in the pads of my hands.

I had a custom fit on my bike and I’m thinking they got it wrong.  I’ve had the levers adjusted so I reach them more easily (I have small hands), but I’m still experiencing numbness after long rides.  I know it’s from too much pressure on the pads of my hands.

Anyone encounter this before?  Is my fit wrong?  If it’s wrong, in which direction?  Height of the handlebars too low or they are too far away from the seat?    

Any suggestions?

27 Replies

Anonymous, March 24, 2011 at 10:29 am

tape some 1/2″ water pipe foam insulation to your grips..and aerobars can even be installed on a flat bar.
Final option is a ‘bent.

ts, March 24, 2011 at 11:32 pm

steven z said: tape some 1/2″ water pipe foam insulation to your grips..and aerobars can even be installed on a flat bar.

Have you actually done this?  Seems like it would slip around unless you taped it really d@mned tight.  Sounds dangerous to me.

papawheelie, March 25, 2011 at 9:10 am

hmm the old water pipe insulation trick (laughs). I remember when they made slitted bar wraps out of this material and had them on lots of bike, stock… eventually it sort of bonds to the bars  in a messy way. I work in an earn a bike shop and I’ve ripped off miles of that stuff. 

Position on the bike is probably a good place to start. I’ve migrated to Nitto Technomic stems that are set WAY up, and shallow drop bars (Randonneurs), and a position that is not leaning so far forward, weight not hard on the hands. This is hard to do on a newer, aggressive geometry racing type bike. I rode a Felt F-70 on a tour in ’05 and at the end I didn’t feel too good. It was just more appropriate for short duration races/rides. I went to a more relaxed geometry Jamis Aurora and have had little or no probs since.

Anonymous, March 25, 2011 at 1:20 pm

use some electrical or duct tape to keep it in place…take it off after Rag. (although I use it year round) ..My rag bike has drop bars plus aero bars plus I installed mt bike bar ends ON the aerobars half way up…You have to pry the bar end clamps open to get them on the aero bars and then bend them back..it gives one down position (aero) and 5 or 6 upright back and forward grips…  

Anonymous, March 25, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Here is the setup

Anonymous, March 25, 2011 at 1:31 pm

delete

Anonymous, March 25, 2011 at 1:31 pm

try again

Anonymous, March 25, 2011 at 1:33 pm

if this doesn’t work ..I need advice

Anonymous, March 25, 2011 at 1:35 pm

test

Michrider !!!, March 25, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Hey Steve, looks like you got a lot of stuff on your handlebars.  

Michrider !!!, March 25, 2011 at 2:39 pm

papawheelie said: hmm the old water pipe insulation trick (laughs). I remember when they made slitted bar wraps out of this material and had them on lots of bike, stock… eventually it sort of bonds to the bars  in a messy way. I work in an earn a bike shop and I’ve ripped off miles of that stuff. 

Position on the bike is probably a good place to start. I’ve migrated to Nitto Technomic stems that are set WAY up, and shallow drop bars (Randonneurs), and a position that is not leaning so far forward, weight not “hard on” the hands. This is hard to do on a newer, aggressive geometry racing type bike. I rode a Felt F-70 on a tour in ’05 and at the end I didn’t feel too good. It was just more appropriate for short duration races/rides. I went to a more relaxed geometry Jamis Aurora and have had little or no probs since.

I’m still trying to figure out the censorship filter on this forum. You can’t type H.A.R.D. ON but you can type hard!!!  I think it’s funny as ALL H.E.C.K.!!!!!

Viewing 12 replies - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters