Happy New Year!

As a related aside, it’s commonly known in the gym industry that the busiest new membership day is New Years Day. Another interesting statistic is that 80% of people who join a gym in January quit within 5 months. The road to hell really is paved with good intentions. Intentions and resolutions are cheap, so I personally gave up the futile act of making New Years resolutions many years ago. If you have more personal fortitude than I do, kudos to you. Instead of resolutions, I like to spend the first day of the new year by doing something I truly enjoy and I believe that will set the tone for how I want the rest of the year to look. So even though tomorrow’s weather in Chicago promises to be cold and windy, I will be braving the elements for a modest (and chilly) 15 miler.

I’m wishing the RAGBRAI community a 2020 that fulfills all of your aspirations. See you in July, and Happy New Year to all of you.

7 Replies

Sandaltan ., December 31, 2019 at 8:13 pm

Tomorrow will be a Noon potluck with maybe three dozen bikers and friends. Dinner tomorrow will be a traditional (their tradition) corned beef and cabbage with neighbors. As a resolution for next year, I will buy local more often.

RIDE RIGHT Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all

SFC JKL 2, January 2, 2020 at 9:22 am

Happy New Year everyone. The roads are clear. It’s a great day for a ride.

Chuck Gulosh, January 5, 2020 at 3:39 pm

The weather wants to cooperate but the excitement I feel is waning.
This would have been my 1st RAGBRAI. A fellow work volunteer has ridden 5 of them and his enthusiasm was contagious. I couldn’t wait to sign up and begin preparations. At 73, I was as excited as I could ever remember. This was on my bucket list!
Then something very important in Iowa happened and those of us in Virginia couldn’t grasp what. Now, with everything seemingly still in turmoil, I find myself viewing an increasingly shrinking window of opportunity.
Saddened, I cannot feel as I was somehow robbed. Oh well, maybe next year, maybe…

Amanda, January 6, 2020 at 10:34 am

Chuck – Go for it. RAGBRAI will be fun this summer. Don’t put it off, you never know what next year will bring. 🙂

Ken Reed, January 6, 2020 at 10:49 am

Chuck, absolutely nothing is in turmoil. RAGBRAI has new leadership and is as big as ever! Come join us in July!

mjeller, January 6, 2020 at 11:53 am

Chuck – I was originally concerned about this year as well, but things are clearly working out and RAGBRAI is going to be just fine! The Dream Team has just committed, the Air Force Cycling Team (Guardian Angels of the Road for us) has also committed – and many of the larger charters as well. One of my biggest regrets in life was not starting to do the ride until I turned 60, so don’t miss the opportunity! i guarantee you will enjoy this epic event!!!

RDaryl Daryl, January 7, 2020 at 9:45 am

And you have the opportunity of participating in an epic 14 day Iowa bike ride experience if time permits !

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015