Has anyone shipped their bike?

I’m thinking about shipping my bike and was wondering what the estimated charge is to ship. Also, what has been your experience?

4 Replies

David, May 2, 2019 at 9:12 am

There are quite a few options. Check out https://sendmybike.com/ for one option.

kicks9, May 2, 2019 at 11:27 am

I have it was years ago so I do not know the cost.

I had to take the handlebars off and pedals and seat post to pack it.

Hint, mark these things before you remove them. Chalk works, or a colored sharpie.

Put back to the line before tightening so that you don’t get new hot spots or knee problems.

Oh and deflate your tires prior to packing in case it gets flown to its destination, the pressure change can mess with tire pressures.

Got the bike at my destination and was able to put everything back together pretty easily. If you don’t know how RAGBRAI has lots of shops to help, (possibly for a fee).

Your local bike shop can usually break down a bike and pack it for shipping if you don’t want to or know how.

They usually charge in the range of $75 for such services. That seems to be the common fee I have seen in the Midwest and now East coast. If you get to the start town and need help just start asking people as they walk or ride by, I’m sure someone on RAGBRAI will stop and help.

David Daniels, May 2, 2019 at 5:33 pm

check out Bikeflights.com. I live in Florida and I’ve used it several times to get to/from RAGBRAI.

Cheers,
just dave

Dave Fletcher, June 24, 2019 at 12:33 pm

Seems that this year BikeFlights is actually referring you to SendMyBike if you need ANY services other than shipping each way. They used to include getting your case from start to finish. Now, apparently the only option is SendMyBike and that $100 additional just to get the bike case across the state. Ouch!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015