Registration is open for RAGBRAI L!

Helmet brim

Any suggestions for a helmet hat brim? Unfortunately the sun is too much for me at this time. Hoping for suggestions on a quality brim and where to purchase. Thank you.

8 Replies

HelenP, May 16, 2022 at 7:22 am

If you go back about a dozen pages of forum posts, about a month and a week ago, you’ll see one started by T. Gap Woo asking for sun protection advice. We had a very good discussion about a variety of methods, including headwear, sun sleeves & legs, and of course sunburn cream.

A simple visored baseball hat is one option, and someone suggested “Da Brim” (which comes as a sunhat-like big brim around your helmet, or a less windblown visor style). I’ve not tried them, but they seem good.

Just do a Google search.

Brian Reff, May 16, 2022 at 7:58 am

I ride with a “Da Brim” and can highly recommend it. Bought on RAGBRAI in 2019 and can vouch that it really works. Go to their website and decide which model works best for you. Good luck!

garywilk, May 16, 2022 at 9:23 am

Just remember that you will be riding into the early sun so use sunscreen and do not forget about the lips, ear tops, legs, arms, and any other exposed skin. I remember seeing a lot of badly burned people last year.

Randall Murphy, May 16, 2022 at 9:43 am

And remember the SPF rated lip balm and not the regular stuff. Otherwise you’re just putting bacon grease on a fire. You’ll have burned lips before you know it.

NYC Highwheeler, May 16, 2022 at 1:28 pm

As others have mentioned, “Da Brim” makes a great product! I used one in the last RAGBRAI, and would recommend it 100%.

I opted for the full size version called The Classic, and found that wind was only an issue in a few brief instances (fast downhill into headwind), but not an issue 95% of the time. The added brim works well with most helmets, but I suggest making sure that you have a well fitted helmet that is comfortable.
I bought mine from the DaBrim.com website. They are also sold by some vendors the day before the ride starts, but I would order now so you can get the color, style, etc. that you want.
In addition to sunglasses or a helmet visor such as the one made by Polar Optics, I strongly recommend a light colored or white, loose fitting (but not baggy) collared, button up shirt. Ideally it will keep the sun off your skin, and allow air to flow between the fabric and your body. You can take it off and soak it in the pass through towns, and it will really keep you cooler and more comfortable than a jersey or t-shirt.

Marilyn Lillibridge, May 16, 2022 at 1:52 pm

Thank you for the quick replies. I ride one day each year at Ragbrai but never had an issue using just a helmet. This year I want to protect from melanoma as much as possible and feel a hat will add to the sunscreen. Thanks again, everyone!

HelenP, May 16, 2022 at 10:53 pm

I bring a couple bandannas — they’re so useful! Currently, being dry, they reduce cool air and sunburn from the helmet holes, and keep the nape of my neck from chilling or sunburn, but in summer they absorb sweat and keep me cooler when wet. I can wipe my face, rinse them in cold water, or use one for first aid or to wrap spare food.

The local L. L. Bean store has some red or blue cotton ones that are well made, or there are other colors & designs from the maker, Hav-a-hank. I also have some synthetic ones from elsewhere, which would dry more easily.

Speaking of first aid, on my bike I pack a few finger- and knee-sized bandages, plus hand wipes, pocket tissue packs, half a roll of white cloth ankle tape, and sample size sunburn lotion. My 2″ long Swiss Army Knife has tweezers, toothpick, nail file, and tiny knife & scissors.

It sounds like a lot, but it’s small items. My first aid kit for the bike fits in a ziploc sandwich bag, plus the bandannas and some extra tissue packs.

Off-bike, a bottle of Isopropyl alcohol (in a ziploc bag) goes in my camping gear, and it’s useful for other small cleaning tasks, too — or else a cannister of plain Isopropyl wipes. I’ll probably leave my sample size bug spray and anti-itch Benadryl pump bottles there, too, and some antibiotic ointment, along with the refill sunburn lotion.

Sandaltan ., May 18, 2022 at 9:42 pm

The Little Stoker loves Da Brim.
https://dabrim.com/collections/cycling-products

RIDE RIGHT

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI