RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

Helmet visors

Is it worth having a helmet visor for sun? I wear glasses will they help in rain?

17 Replies

jwsknk, April 17, 2012 at 10:09 pm

I think so, for sun anyway. Rain still seems to find your glasses,just maybe not quite as fast. And even if you don’t need glasses they are a good idea all the time just for uvula, dust and bug protection.

Michrider !!!, April 18, 2012 at 5:31 am

I use a cycling hat under my helmet in the rain. It helps keep rain off my glasses. I agree with jwsknk & wear glasses all the time! Nothing like taking a bug in the eye, during a 30+ mph downhill, to convince a rider to wear glasses!!!!!

Iceman, April 18, 2012 at 10:30 am

I don’t think a visor does much for keeping the sun out of your eyes. Certainly I would keep applying the sunscreen and U/V lipbalm several times a day, regardless.

Your sunglasses are, however, an essential item. And yes, I use my sunglasses in the rain if it’s coming down hard, otherwise I just put them in my pocket.

I always take a second pair of sunglasses in my duffle just in case I lose or break the first pair. I don’t like those cheap sunglasses they sell at the expo so I keep two pairs of Oakleys with me.

giantron, April 18, 2012 at 11:36 am

I took the visor off my helmets, riding a road bike it seems to lessen my view and didn’t help with sun or rain. Maybe if you’re riding a more upright bike it won’t affect it as much. But definitely wear glasses, even if they’re clear. Bugs in the eye are nasty. Even riding at night I wear them.

mentor58, April 18, 2012 at 12:08 pm

For those of us who need a set of inexpensive ‘Readers’ to see things up close, I just bought a couple of sets of bi-focal safety glass (clear and tinted) online. Price was about 12 bucks a pair for DeWalt brand. Here’s where I got them from

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/safreadglas.html

Works great for me, I see stuff up close easy, and the reader portion, at least on the DeWalts, sits very low in my line of site, so it doesn’t intrude on my usual field of vision. The one downside, I have a fairly narrow face, and these are a bit wide, but hey… they work.

Steve

Tony, April 18, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Road Helmets do not come with visors. MTB helmets do. Visors are not much good for anything. I wear a cycling cap under my helmet all the time. The short bill works great for sun without blocking view of the road. It acts like a helmet liner. If you are bald. It prevents you from getting sun burned spots on your head. Keeps you from looking like a newcomer on Alien Nation. It keeps sweat out of your eyes. Does the same thing for rain.

Eye protection is a must riding a bike. I have prescription riding glasses. They have a bifocal and Transition high impact lens. I have 3 pairs of them. One pair is retired after a nasty crash. The helmet saved me. The glasses saved my eye. I have nasty pics after the surgeon sewed my eyelid back on. Before my eye doctor turned me on to the Liberty Sports glasses. I used one clear and one tinted pair of cycling glasses. Walmart optical now sell the Liberty Sports Cycling frame for about 50 bucks plus your prescription.

Sandaltan ., April 18, 2012 at 7:22 pm

A coffee filter in your helmet will protect you from sun burn. Change the filter as necessary.

RIDE RIGHT

Ragbrai Nation, April 18, 2012 at 11:01 pm

I see stuff up close easy, and the reader portion, at least on the DeWalts, sits very low in my line of site, so it doesn’t intrude on my usual field of vision. The one downside, I have a fairly narrow face…

You maybe heard about the guy who was so narrow-minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes? :-D

Ragbrai Nation, April 18, 2012 at 11:08 pm

At times it was so hot last year I found removing the sunglasses allowed the breeze to blow over more of the face. Anything to get more airflow in the late afternoons.

Dint, April 19, 2012 at 6:20 am

I prefer a visor, and I also carry a pair of yellow lens glasses for the cloudy days. Check out any sporting goods store that sell shooting or fishing glasses.I can usually find a pair that offer good eye protection for a decent price.

Jean Lantz, April 20, 2012 at 8:32 am

Absolutely YES to wearing a helmet that has a visor. The Iowa sun is intense, especially during the hours most people are riding. I also carry a visor to wear when I take the helmet off when taking a break.

Michrider !!!, April 20, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I’ll be sporting my best beer goggles!!!!!

Kublakhan469, April 21, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Michrider: I’ll be sporting my best beer goggles!!!!!

Here we go!!!!!

Kublakhan469, April 21, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Michrider: I’ll be sporting my best beer goggles!!!!!

Here we go!!!!!

mentor58, April 21, 2012 at 7:52 pm

I have a visor on my helmet, helps during the main part of the day. Of course when the sun in on the horizon nothing much seems to help. I also wear a ‘do-rag’ on my head. I shave my head, and believe me, that isn’t a suntan pattern that I want to get. (Makes Sandal tan (the phenomena, not the person) look good.

For sunglasses I wear bifocal reader safety glasses (tinted). Cheap, strong, effective and let me see my watch, map, etc without any problems. I carry a clear pair for nights, I know how easy an eye can get damaged.

Steve

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XL – 2012’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI