PART OF THE USA TODAY NETWORK

highway 59 rumbles

Just looking at highway 59 as it comes into Denison, and found some nasty looking rumble strips/patches. Route 141 connects to highway 59 to get us the last two miles to Denison. First off, I hope the highway patrol blocks off at least one lane for us. It looks like a busy road, and going single file on the edge of the road would really slow us up. Then there are deep rumbles along the “shoulder” that could really shake up a bike or knock off it’s rider. I was hoping to ride in the car lane, but I found another rumble patch in the car lane that looks very scary. The grooves are at different angles, and they look deep too. This patch is about a thousand feet before Arrowhead road. I guess I will have to ride on the edge of the road for that part. So, if they can’t temporarily fill those rumbles for us, everybody be on guard! This looks like a fast downhill, so if you aren’t watching you could be in for a nasty spill.

5 Replies

Bruce Woodrow, May 7, 2018 at 6:51 pm

Rumbles and Trikes
You should try your approach when your TWO front wheels track about 34” apart (and your rear wheel halfway in between).

Despite the official RAGBRAI position that rumbles are no big deal, I avoid them like the plague. I have had thoroughly tightened accessories flung off my Trike by rumble strips. And if there are rumble strips in the shoulder, there is almost never enough room in the shoulder outside of the rumbles for a trike.

I’ll be looking for a safe way to go around them.

LawnchairMan, May 7, 2018 at 9:10 pm

Hi Bruce,

I’m looking at the rumbles I mentioned and it looks like you could straddle them. If you have your left wheel on the white line I think the rumbles would go between that wheel and your tail wheel.

I have been using Google maps street view. If you want to check, look at highway 59 near Denison. There is a white rectangular building next to the Fairway Grocery. The worst part of the rumbles is opposite, on the southbound side of the street.

LawnchairMan, May 7, 2018 at 9:20 pm

Oh @!%^!!,

There are two of those wicked rumble patches! One even closer to Arrowhead road.

Bruce Woodrow, May 7, 2018 at 9:41 pm

I have done a lot of triking in the Iowa City area (eg. Hwy 6). In theory I can straddle the shoulder rumbles but in practice the tolerance is so close I just can’t hold a line that perfectly. However, on RAGBRAI I can keep to the left of shoulder rumbles in the traffic lane.

For me, the worst problem is the rumbles that span the entire traffic lane approaching an intersection, particularly if we are not able to occupy the oncoming lane. Sometimes the shoulder is wide enough (if there are no shoulder rumbles at that point).

LawnchairMan, May 7, 2018 at 10:17 pm

Bruce,

Yes, I see you have a problem. The places I mention have both shoulder rumbles and whole driving lane rumbles. The shoulder rumbles look to be about twelve inches wide. So if your distance between front and rear track is 17 inches you would need good aim. At least in this case you can coast so leg movement won’t pull you side to side. I’ve never ridden a trike, so I don’t know how hard it would be. I was hoping that Denison could fill the traffic lane rumbles with clay or something temporary. Let me know how it goes.

Scott

This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by  LawnchairMan.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014