PART OF THE USA TODAY NETWORK

Hill grades

Is there a way to calculate the hill grade from the GPS maps of each day’s route? Do any of the popular apps do this for you?

4 Replies

heknits, July 14, 2019 at 11:47 am

The Ride With GPS app will give you hill grades. Download the GPX file from the RideSpot page and then go to your dashboard page at RidewithGPS.com and select Upload from the menu on the left side of the page. When you view the uploaded route, it includes grade info along with elevation on the graph. Helpful hint: You can select multiple files when you upload to Ride With GPS, so download all of the files first and then do the upload in a single operation for a bit of time savings.

Terry Pepple, July 14, 2019 at 12:46 pm

That’s awesome. Thanks for the info, very helpful.

LawnchairMan, July 14, 2019 at 5:57 pm

I have found that Ride with GPS underestimates grades. Test with a hill you know and see if it agrees. I have also found that mapping a short area can give a steeper grade for a particular hill than when mapping a whole route.
By the way, I used Ride with GPS for quite a while before I found the grade. I think you have to click on the word “grade” to have a grade line show on the elevation profile. You can then drag your pointer along the chart to have the grade read-out for any one point.

This reply was modified 2 months ago by  LawnchairMan.

Terry Pepple, July 15, 2019 at 1:02 pm

I used Strava yesterday to track my usual training route and my steepest grade was 5.9%. Seems comparable to the average on this year’s route. Thanks again for all the advice.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014