History Map?

I cannot find the RAGBRAI “history map.” There always was a map that had each town which had been a host town in the past (the more times, the bigger the circle representing the town). Is it still here? Cannot find it. I’m not talking about the host town grid – I’m trying to find the history map.

23 Replies

elentir, August 19, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Close to what I’m calling:
Hawarden
Sibley
Spirit Lake
Humbolt
Iowa Falls
Osage
Decorah
Guttenberg

Iceman, August 19, 2013 at 1:30 pm

elentir:

I thought about Hawarden but it’s too close to the 2012 start town of Sioux Center, I think. I think if I am wrong on the start town, it would be because they use Rock Rapids like they did in 2007 and I thought that was a good start town and way north and I meant to ride to Minnesota that time – just to say I did since it’s only five miles away from Rock Rapids, but I just sat around the PBV tent drinking beer.

We both have Sibley. It’s been used several times but not lately. But it’s a logical place to stop and the DMR is a creature of habit. Same for Osage and Decorah. All this is premised on staying far north but I think they will. If they make it a long (mileage) ride, the far north is fairly flat. I don’t see them doing a long and hilly ride. I just want to stay away from that I-80 corridor they keep using.

I would not mind going through Humboldt. We stopped there in 2007 and I liked it a lot. PBV was in a really pretty park with lots of trees but PBV is too big now to fit there I think.

Anyway – I’m already looking forward to July 2014.

Iceman, August 20, 2013 at 7:58 am

PLEASE DMR, give us a break in 2014. Don’t go back to the I-80 corridor.

http://qctimes.com/news/local/q-c-area-begins-rolling-for-ragbrai/article_33301a8e-5ffa-5537-833a-4bb6a3d9e66f.html

Sandaltan ., August 20, 2013 at 11:00 am

Mason City would like a piece of the RAGBRAI 2014 Pie.
http://globegazette.com/news/local/city-wants-to-be-ragbrai-overnight-host/article_853ab3dc-ee91-11e2-9226-001a4bcf887a.html

That would put us out of the I 80 doldrums.

RIDE RIGHT

Iceman, August 20, 2013 at 2:07 pm

ST – Mason City would be great. Could plug into my route quite nicely, and way north like I want.

Michrider !!!, August 20, 2013 at 4:22 pm

What History map????

jake d, August 26, 2013 at 9:25 pm

I like the idea of Eagle Grove and Mason City. Eagle Grove was fantastic as a pass thru and deserves a shot. Mason City is long overdue. Forest City is another story. We overnighted there in 2002. They have a beautiful town square, but evidently RAGBRAI was not a worthy enough event to utilize it in any way.

If you missed out on one of the two churches serving pasta or the lousy spaghetti at the HS; ( I can’t personally say it was lousy, I’m taking the word of the 30 some odd people getting on the shuttle ), you had a choice of five vendors at the party. Funnel cakes, kettle corn, walking tacos, snow cones, and the most popular choice, homemade curley-Q potatoes.

Unfortunately we could only order one plate because they had ran out of potatoes for the second time. We didn’t know it at the time, but the best dinner option was Hardees. Pretty sad for a town of over 4,000.

We’ve done this ride for a long time, and I’m normally the first one to give a town the benefit of the doubt. Not Forest City. If we overnight there, I’ll pay good money for someone to shuttle me to/from Clear Lake for a decent meal.

Anonymous, September 8, 2013 at 11:44 am

Emmetsburg is long overdue. I’ll have to work on that. E’burg has only one county road into it. If I remember correctly, the last time Ragbrai overnighted here, we came up Highway 4 and exited north up N40. They are paving a 9 mile road one mile east and then north that would make the second route in and out of Emmetsburg without gravel. The Burg has a bean squeezi’in plant and a large operating ethanol with bio-mass plant (under construction). E’burg is fortunate to be served by two rail lines hence the plants. With these plants there is a ton of truck traffic. These trucks run every weekday to feed the plants. Maybe with the second road paved E’burg will have a shot!

Viewing 8 replies - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLI – 2013’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015