Join Us in July - Register Today!

Home Stay’s

My last RAGBRAI was 2010; Time flies!! At that time we could arrange home stay’s; There were web pages dedicated to arranging, and it was a fantastic experience!! I don’t see anything on the site, will it show up in January or are home stay’s no longer part of RAGBRAI? Thanks!

31 Replies

garywilk, January 30, 2023 at 11:27 am

One of the best parts of RAGBRAI is eating and new places. Finding a local bakery for breakfast or Dutch letters. A bar and grill in a pass through town. A German church for a real German meal at the overnight town. Other churches or organizations for other great meals. Amash pie and Ice cream that may of come out of a cow the day before. My dad who is now 78 loves to drive the motorhome to the next town and spend the day riding his bike back one town to find Ice cream, pie and other great foods. He says he will keep doing it as long as he can. It may cost you a few more $$$ than Hyvee but there will be way more foods and drinks to try than you can eat in a week. There are normally shuttles at key locations but keep in mind, they usually stop running before the bars close so you may get a sobering walk back if you party too long.

steve zink, January 30, 2023 at 11:52 am

Ditto Gary.. never know what you’re going to find slightly off the beaten path.. little cafes, thrift stores.. little museums..

steve zink, January 30, 2023 at 9:48 pm

I Guess not.. Air conditioned accommodations don’t just fall out of the sky… The reason they keep the route Secret is so all the administrators and worker bees can book up all the limited hotel rooms in a small overnight town.. it’s less of a challenge In big towns like Ames Des Moines who can absorb big crowds easily.. A savvy ragbrai Rider checks city hall minutes weeks and months before to see if ragbrai is on their agenda and to get clues on where the ride is going to go ahead of time.. but if that doesn’t work out, a savvy ragbrai Rider might try to find a School custodian who will let me in to sleep in an air condition hallway… If the savvy ragbrai Rider can’t find a hot shower.. maybe he will ask somebody if he can borrow their garden hose so he can spray water up on their south facing roof .. the water picks up the heat off the roof.. and there’s is a hot shower.. usually the people will think it’s crazy talk and will invite me in for a quick shower and maybe let me sleep somewhere on the floor in AC unless the ragbrai Rider likes to sleep in a sweltering tent in July in Iowa… Not me

This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by steve zink.

This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by steve zink.

jelly0317, January 31, 2023 at 9:26 am

If that’s what it takes to be a “savvy” rider, no, thanks. And, describing a tent as “sweltering” is the definition of hyperbole.

steve zink, February 1, 2023 at 1:12 pm

Yes, it’s true.. the more times someone rides ragbrai the better they get at it… Practice makes perfect.. I remember ragbrai so hot at midnight.. 85° 60% humidity it was like a ( wet) sauna.. let me be more precise.. the people in the tents were sweltering… The actual inanimate object the tent wasnt sweltering.. I hope that makes my post more clear

jelly0317, February 1, 2023 at 4:26 pm

All of your posts are crystal clear. You obviously know more about how to do RAGBRAI than any of us mere mortals, even those with 38 RAGBRAIs under their belt. So, continue going door-to-door with your Freddy the Freeloader routine, and I’ll continue to stumble through in my futile attempt to be “savvy”.

garywilk, February 1, 2023 at 5:21 pm

I remember 8 or 10 years ago, I walked past a bank at 9PM and it said 95. I was in a tent that year and just went back to the bar and had some or a lot more. Not sure exactly if I passed out or went to sleep but remember my brother waking me up at 6:00 saying “you ready to go” After a cup of jo, water, and a bagel, yep, lets go. A bit older and my dad offers to drive the motor home which is nice but either a tent, motor home with AC, or something else, I will always enjoy Ragbrai.

garywilk, February 1, 2023 at 5:31 pm

Just to add a bit, there are always opportunities out there and if you can take advantage, do. That is part of Ragbrai looking for them. The man running for Gov. last year was pouring free drinks so we were always looking for him. Usually several people handing out free something along the way. Stop and enjoy. Talk with them for a bit and buy something if they have something for sale. A lot of the time, they are just promoting something with nothing expected in return. I have had several say the sooner they get ride of it the sooner they get to start riding. I just say, pour me another then. It is truly 8 days that are very enjoyable every year. This year my dad, brother, and nephew are joining me. I know my dad did the 25th and is really looking toward the 50th. He has not missed many in between and hope he can enjoy several more. We even combined his 78th birthday with a Ragbrai watch party Saturday.

steve zink, February 1, 2023 at 6:18 pm

I’m sorry I made you cry forcing you to resort to ad hominem.. you profess to be a expert in every post … On every subject… Ever look in a mirror Mr 38 ragbrai?

jelly0317, February 1, 2023 at 6:32 pm

I have never claimed to be an expert, and I wouldn’t dream of trying to define a “savvy” rider based on how I ride RAGBRAI. Particularly when your advice consists primarily of ambiguous gems like not setting up a tent because something better “usually always” comes around.

HelenP, February 2, 2023 at 12:42 am

Chill out, guys, people are just tossing ideas around. :-)

jelly0317, February 2, 2023 at 9:09 am

I agree; time to move on. Let’s get ready for a safe, fun-filled L!

steve zink, February 2, 2023 at 3:04 pm

I don’t appreciate my posts being critiqued by the resident know it all.. we all know who that is.

steve zink, February 2, 2023 at 3:22 pm

I don’t appreciate my post being critiqued by the resident know it all.. we all know that is.. maybe it’s me.
The best deals on ragbrai t-shirts is under the vendor table. Last year’s t-shirts for $5..

Sandaltan ., February 6, 2023 at 9:00 pm

Home stays have generated our very best stories. Better than wind, rain, heat, cold and melted pavement. Better even than the breaded pork tenderloin stories.

Jelly…do you still ride with the same panniers? That would be the only way I would know to say Hi when you pass us.

RIDE RIGHT

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters