Host Family Information Needed

Has anyone stayed with host families on previous RAGBRAI’s? Can you tell me how the process works? Is there a cost (anything you give to the families)? What was your experience?

Thanks

6 Replies

Michrider !!!, November 23, 2010 at 6:21 pm

armstroc said: Has anyone stayed with host families on previous RAGBRAI’s? Can you tell me how the process works? Is there a cost (anything you give to the families)? What was your experience?

Thanks

The process is outlined in RAGBRAI’s General Information section. Good luck!

https://ragbrai.com/about/general-information/#14

Christopher Armstrong, November 23, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Thanks for the info Michrider! We had seen the info on RAGBRAI site, but wondered about the process after we submit our info.

Do you pay your host family as well? Come bearing gifts?
Is it like online dating? Will we get a list of hosts who are interested in taking us in based on our information and size of the overnight town?

Amanda, November 23, 2010 at 9:19 pm

I haven’t tried online dating but I’m sure it’s not like that. After you have gotten a wristband # through the Lottery, then you can apply with each overnight town. It is not 100% gurantee that you will get a house. If you do, a gift or a gift of money is a very nice gesture. You will be amazed at Iowa hospitality. Our club usually give the host a framed picture of our group (They can toss the picture and reuse the frame), a few koozies and $.

jwsknk, November 24, 2010 at 8:04 am

We always leave a tip cup in the bathroom if we use somebody house, we might also leave them a little something, depending on the team gift that year and what we have in stock, and a follow up after the ride with a letter. You get who they line you up with, whatever criteria they use, size of group, yard for camping vs wants beds, , etc.

Sandaltan ., November 24, 2010 at 9:43 am

We are a small group, three to eight riders each year and usually sleep inside.  Before we leave Des Moines our leader, (the exalted one) extracts some cash from us and buys a thank you card and a HyVee grocery gift card for each of the homes we will occupy.  There are HyVee stores everywhere in Iowa.  In the past we have chipped in five to seven dollars per person per home.  After the ride we send the host family another thank you from the group and say we hope to stay with them again when RAGBRAI returns.  Noticing our old team sticker from years ago on a basement refrigerator was a highlight for me the last time we visited Shenandoah!!
RIDE RIGHT

Papa T, November 24, 2010 at 8:48 pm

We (Tembrewhaha) stay often at a house and, of course, you want to do something to say thanks.  You have to remember that, to the hosts, the Ragbrai  circus is in town and you are the circus performers.

They would like to spend time with your team, talking about your adventures on THE RIDE.  A group picture, with them in it would be a cool memento.  An autographed 8X 10 picture is also good.  We sometimes  leave t shirts with New York and chicago logos, but this is difficult because of sizing problems.

Mostly, they don’t want money.  Surely, given the current economic climate some do.  But mostly, your Ragbrai visit is a fun part of their lives that they want to remember.

two months and a week till the Route is out!
DIMICNW?

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015