Hottest year?

This year had to be one of the hottest years in RAGBRAI history although I heard that a ride in the late 90’s was hotter. Is there any ranking out there that indicates distance, heat index and climb?

9 Replies

pmac, December 6, 2011 at 8:40 am

Several posts about that right after the ride.  According to ISU it was the second hottest Ragbrai, based on daily temp readings at the Des Moines airport.  See the link below.  Of course, an actual daily reading would change based on location.  Good indication it was pretty hot though.

The Geobike tab in Routes and Maps lets you see the daily and total elevation gain and has a top 10 list for most and least climb.  Last year looks like it was about average.  It did not make any of the top ten lists for most or least climb or most or least difficult.  I don’t think the Geobike ratings take the heat index into consider.  As we all know, that goes a long way into deciding how difficult a ride is.

http://iowaenvironmentalfocus.org/2011/08/05/isu-second-warmest-ragbrai-yet/

mcpartla, December 6, 2011 at 9:07 am

Are any statistics kept on the number of people treated on the ride for heat related problems?  I heard numerous reports of cyclists having difficulty both during and after the ride but I did not personally see anything other than the occasional ambulance racing by. 

Ragbrai Nation, December 8, 2011 at 6:25 pm

iceman said:

pmac said: Several posts about that right after the ride.  According to ISU it was the second hottest Ragbrai, based on daily temp readings at the Des Moines airport.  See the link below.  Of course, an actual daily reading would change based on location.  Good indication it was pretty hot though. The Geobike tab in Routes and Maps lets you see the daily and total elevation gain and has a top 10 list for most and least climb.  Last year looks like it was about average.  It did not make any of the top ten lists for most or least climb or most or least difficult.  I don’t think the Geobike ratings take the heat index into consider.  As we all know, that goes a long way into deciding how difficult a ride is.  http://iowaenvironmentalfocus.org/2011/08/05/isu-second-warmest-ragbrai-yet/

Does not appear that it was all that hot but we ride in 90+ heat for four or five months each year so I guess we are used to it.  This summer in Houston area it was over 100 degrees on (I think I recall correctly) 46 days but it was a record year in that respect – and given the humidity in Houston area, there is no telling what the heat index usually was.  If you get out and ride in it for a couple of weeks and make certain to hydrate correctly,  you will do fine. 

It helps to belong to the younger generation too when it is as hot as it was on Rag-XXXIX. I’m almost 60. I rode the entire ride but I wouldn’t want another week like that again… ever. Whew!

RAGRider, December 8, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Yep, last year was on warm side but the daily mileage was reasonable. Not real hot if ya finished before Noon. Of course, a little warmer as you got later into the day…Altoona cooked in the pm.

’99, on the other hand, was flat out hot and almost a 100 miles longer. Difficult to avoid the heat — especially in Decorah!

Amanda, December 9, 2011 at 7:00 am

99 was definately hotter. I didn’t finish that year. I rode every mile this past year and was 13 years older than in 99.

jwsknk, December 9, 2011 at 8:37 am

Getting in by noon dosen’t work for me no matter how warm. Rather be out there even if it’s a slow 12 mph creating some sort of a breeze that sitting around dripping in camp. Could always find some place in the towns to get out of the sun for awhile.
But it’s your RAGBRAI, do it whatever way works for you and don’t let anyone tell you you are doing it wrong. I get into camp probably 10-12 hours after our first rider, her way sounds just as wrong to me as my way probablt does to her.
’99, Wadena! slurp slurp….slurp slurp…slurp slurp…. that was the sound of tires picking up tar all the way up that hill, every 10 feet for a mile.

Michrider !!!, December 9, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I think 2011 was the hottest!!!  I saw hot women all week, even drank a beer or three with those hot women!!!

fleetmack, December 9, 2011 at 3:55 pm

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XL – 2012’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014