RAGBRAI XLIX registration is now open!

How are your training miles coming along?

Given all the rain, I haven’t logged as many miles as I would have liked. I’m only at 960 since April, and should be able to get another 200 – 300 in before the big day. I should be ok, but would have liked to have gotten in a few more big rides. How are you doing?

21 Replies

Michrider !!!, July 7, 2015 at 5:48 am

My training miles have come to an abrupt halt. I’ve fallen 3 times in less than 2 months! Sunday, I fell hard on Lefty (my new knee)!!! I’m still coming to Iowa (with PBV), for the party but won’t be riding!!! I’m finished riding for 2015. I think I’ll concentrate on walking (without falling) for a while!!!

Ed Gillespie, July 7, 2015 at 8:17 am

First timer. Got in 350 miles, including three 40-mile rides. Intended to train more, but found that I enjoyed working out with my friends at CrossFit more. Now packing up bike. I plan on making many stops during the day, so guess I will get to the end one way or another.

jwsknk, July 7, 2015 at 9:33 am

2060 so far but may need to lay off for awhile. finished 10 day 600+miles self contained in Minnesota with a kind of numb finger on each hand. One has what looks like a blister at the base but it’s hard. I think I remember hitting that pothole.

jenbikes68, July 7, 2015 at 11:30 am

I don’t know my total miles… I stopped tracking it years ago, but I’ve ridden some 80 mile rides with no soreness the next day and I’ve been climbing. One route here is called the Great Western Loop. 42 miles with 3900ft climbing. I’m ready!

@John
… I did STP (Seattle to Portland for those who don’t know the acronym) in 2007. We elected to do 154 miles the first day and stayed in a crappy town named Kelso so we could be in a motel instead of the gym floor. Finished the other 55 miles the next day. It was fun! Have a great ride.

@Michrider
… dang! Sorry to hear you’ve fallen especially on a knee replacement. Probably a good call to take time off and recover. I’ll raise a bike bottle of electrolyte in your honor at the top of the first climb. Hope you’re better soon!

TexasBikeKahuna, July 7, 2015 at 12:44 pm

I’ll play this game.

Have gotten in more than the past because it is so much fun riding in ATX versus West TX. Since April 15, 1,380 miles, 71,000 feet of climb, and 92 hours in the saddle.

This is my 4th and the best advice I ever received was to do 3 50 milers back, to back to back, as close to that final weekend before the rest week than you can get. My wife and I have both employed that strategy and if you are able to do that, even at a slow pace, you will be fine (not to say you wouldn’t be fine if you cant). My short history in RAGBRAI has shown me that there are only a few tough segments during the week – that last “X” miles into a headwind on Day “Y” or “Z”, the morning it took a little while to get going because sleep was lacking, the time between mile X and Y when you needed something to eat and then felt like you could ride all day after the next town – and in 2012 when it was 105+ degrees 4 days in a row…

Not anything to worry about. This is a bike RIDE, Mardi Gras and summer camp for grown ups all rolled into one. Time will fly. Roughest part of all is the absolute obsession for a good mattress and a porcelain toilet when you finally head home.

Safe travels to and fro and safe and fun cycling whilst in Iowa.

Cheers.

Sara Problem, July 7, 2015 at 2:01 pm

far below 600 miles and all on the hills of Chicago

team da fuq – what’s the worst that can happen?

Viewing 6 replies - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI