How do you carry your money on the ride? Wallet? Plastic bag?

Was curious what other people used to carry their money, id, etc while riding on ragbrai? I know some people use a small ziplock bag. Do they make a small cycling wallet or is there some other way to carry your money? Last year I had a plastic card case that I kept in my saddle bag or in the pocket of my jersey. I didn’t want to carry my wallet since I was only carrying money, drivers license and credit card. Plus I didn’t want to carry a bulky wallet and risk it getting wet from sweat and/or possible rain.

26 Replies

tacook, May 31, 2018 at 5:48 pm

We use both a plastic sandwich bag and a small plastic biking wallet.

Roy Trent, May 31, 2018 at 7:15 pm

Last year, our first RAGBRAI, my wife & I each used a top tube bag. It has a phone size zippered pouch that is removable via velcro. So, in the clear section of the pouch (made for a phone) I kept the day’s route sheet with reminders of where hills, food and other points of interest were located. In the zippered part underneath, I kept my cash, ID etc. When we came to a food stop etc, I simple reached down and pulled the pouch off the top tube bag and had all my valuables with me. We purchased these thru http://www.lightinthebox.com, a Chinese supply house but the price and quality were fine.

orion12521, May 31, 2018 at 8:16 pm

I recommend a Lezyne Caddy Sack. More durable and better seal than a zip-lock bag. I’ve had to replace them when they wear out, but they generally last several years.

JCarter, June 1, 2018 at 2:01 pm

https://jerseybin.com/

Buy a JerseyBin! I swear by them – they’re inexpensive and they work. My first JerseyBin lasted almost 3 seasons of bike riding…

Uncle Kraig, June 1, 2018 at 2:17 pm

I try to keep it simple. In a small Ziploc, held together with a binder clip I carry cash, one credit card, drivers license, health insurance card, a note for who to call if they find me dead and my cell phone. Put it in my jersey pocket and have never had a problem.

brewmeister.us, June 1, 2018 at 2:32 pm

When I ride I use a Jimi Wallet in my jersey rear pocket. Found out a few years ago from someone else on one of the forums.

Usually keep about $50 ID, and a couple of credit cards with me.

http://www.thejimi.com/store/wallet.php

This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by  brewmeister.us.

igor, June 1, 2018 at 3:21 pm

A few years ago I bought a wallet made out of an old bicycle tube. It’s great. I can carry cash, Id and a few cards and since it’s a bike tube the cash etc. stays dry inside of it.

Groeny82, June 1, 2018 at 6:47 pm

I bought a cheap velcro wallet, I keep around $60 cash, ID, a credit card, insurance card, and emergency contacts in mine. Put it in a zip lock and carried it in a jersey pocket. Works pretty well for me but after looking at a couple of the other products mentioned here I might have to look into one of those. The Jersey Bin looks nice, I like that it’s clear so I can see what is in there. The wallet will be a little bulkier than the other options. One thing I like about the wallet is everything has it’s own little compartment and not just thrown in a bag…but maybe I’m a little OCD about some things.

Dockat, June 2, 2018 at 11:02 am

I use a Venture4th wallet that has a cord that goes around your neck.

ratscallion, June 2, 2018 at 9:50 pm

I use a runners shoe wallet with a silicone wristband wrapped around it. The band keeps it closed and the has just enough grip on the jersey pocket to keep the wallet in place unless I’m determined to get it out. Cash goes outside between the band and the wallet, cards and id inside.

bmyoungberg, June 3, 2018 at 7:09 am

For the day, i tuck $60 cash in the elastic of my bibs/shorts. Easy access. Not falling out. Saw someone else do this one year and adopted it. Otherwise, just keep light wallet with id and cc in a waterproof bag (not a ziplock in my case) in backpack or bag on bike.

Amanda, June 3, 2018 at 1:37 pm

For the day, i tuck $60 cash in the elastic of my bibs/shorts. Easy access. Not falling out. Saw someone else do this one year and adopted it. Otherwise, just keep light wallet with id and cc in a waterproof bag (not a ziplock in my case) in backpack or bag on bike.

Doesn’t it get damp? I saw a sign in a convenience store once that said We will not accept any money that has been stored in a bra or underwear. LOL

I have a cell phone case that holds my cards and some cash.

T. Gap Woo, June 3, 2018 at 6:58 pm

Money? What money? I don’t need no stinkin’ money! I get by on my GOOD LOOKS alone. 😜. Maybe that’s why I’m always hungry and thirsty enroute?? (Rim shot).

But seriously folks, a tupperware sandwich container stored inside a ziplock baggie safely tucked into my pannier holds the essentials. It’s worked well for many years.

See you along the I-O-Way in July.

thangamalang, June 4, 2018 at 6:32 am

I will be riding with large panniers and a large bag on the front bars. I can and would be happy to carry everyone’s money. One less thing to think about or worry about will make your ride much more enjoyable. Just PM me to sign up for this free service!!

Sam, June 4, 2018 at 9:40 am

Kilt pocket.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015