Join Us in July - Register Today!

How do you carry your money on the ride? Wallet? Plastic bag?

Was curious what other people used to carry their money, id, etc while riding on ragbrai? I know some people use a small ziplock bag. Do they make a small cycling wallet or is there some other way to carry your money? Last year I had a plastic card case that I kept in my saddle bag or in the pocket of my jersey. I didn’t want to carry my wallet since I was only carrying money, drivers license and credit card. Plus I didn’t want to carry a bulky wallet and risk it getting wet from sweat and/or possible rain.

26 Replies

Julie Walter, June 8, 2018 at 12:34 pm

If you only carry some of your cash on you, what do you do with the rest?

ppayne1959, June 8, 2018 at 2:09 pm

I mostly have it converted to pies and carry it around my waste.

Brian Wallenburg, June 8, 2018 at 7:56 pm

Binder clip with cash, insurance card, ID and credit card. Tuck it in a jersey pocket and you’re all good. Never use a plastic bag except for my cell phone if it’s raining.

10usstring, June 9, 2018 at 11:46 am

Just a tip from a 25 year vet of the ride. I always folded up 2 $20.00 and put one the front tire, one in the rear. No chance of finding out you left your money in your bags heading for the next over night town.

Julie Walter, June 9, 2018 at 12:36 pm

I guess what I’m really asking is do you leave your extra cash in you baggage? Do you worry it won’t be there when you get to the next town?

Roy Trent, June 9, 2018 at 4:12 pm

The Ragbrai people do a great job policing the bag drop/pick up area. It is fenced off and you can not get in or out the bag area without a wrist band. When you exit, the wrist band number must match the bag tag. There are just too many people around for someone to be opening a lot of bags and rummaging through them in the bag area.
Also, while I am sure there is at least one bozo in a crowd this size, I never felt uneasy leaving stuff on my bike in the pass thru towns or lunch stop. Most of the bikes will still have their Garmin attached to the stem. These are good people you will be riding with. I found a watch last year, got home and posted a note on the forum, located the owner who was able to ID it, sent the watch back COD and everyone was happy.

mike marmer, June 10, 2018 at 5:08 pm

May be a good idea to keep a $20 bill in your bike or your shoe. If you lose your money you still need to finish the day’s ride, which you should not do without gatorade and food. I do keep most of the money in my luggage in the truck.

bmyoungberg, June 10, 2018 at 5:22 pm

I carry the cash for the day in the elastic band on my bibs near my knee. It does not get wet or anything. Never had a problem. Get it out when I get off the bike anyway not when buying something.

bmyoungberg, June 10, 2018 at 5:25 pm

Don’t worry about bags during transit. Campsites are safe. Anyone looking for something don’t know if you are in tent or the people sitting there are with you. I personally leave my bike there when going into town. I enjoy walking the mile or so given been sitting all day plus easier to wander once down there.

Scott Skaja, June 10, 2018 at 5:48 pm

I’ve done many self-supported multiple day tours and sufficed well on using a sandwich bag in my jersey pocket

cmparsley, June 10, 2018 at 6:52 pm

I use the method in this video to make a custom bag that fits my cell phone. Add in money, credit card, and ID and I am good to go.

Custom Ziplock Bags://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0_AiIH-JfA” rel=”noopener” target=”_blank”>

Viewing 11 replies - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters