RAGBRAI XLIX registration is now open!

How do you carry your money?

So I’m looking in to some option for carrying around id/cash when I’m on the ride. I wore fanny pack 11 years ago but am looking for other solutions. I was thinking of looking for one of those passport holder type things that go around your neck and under your shirt for when you are traveling. I just don’t want to have any oopsie moments in a kybo or anything that will leave me feeling uncomfortable.

34 Replies

Paul, February 2, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Crumpled and sweaty.

Gypsy Rose, February 2, 2012 at 4:59 pm

I carry mine in a jersey pocket – not crumpled, but indeed sweaty. The vendors don’t seem to mind.

Best,
~ Kevin

CyclingRoberto, February 2, 2012 at 5:20 pm

If you are new to RAGBRAI, then you probably don’t realize that all newbies give their loose cash to me.  I’ve arranged with the vendors to take my word that you’re good whatever you need.  So simply put your cash in an envelope, and mail it to CyclingRoberto, PO Box…

SFC JKL 2, February 2, 2012 at 5:45 pm

I tend to keep mine in a jersey pocket, in a plastic bag.  That way it doesn’t get sweat or wet when it rains.  Then again, almost everything I take on Ragbrai is in a plastic bag of some kind.

Just Krusin, February 2, 2012 at 6:24 pm

I have several  kinda bike wallets, 3″x4″ zippered pouch with a key ring inside.  1st ones I got was from my bike club quite a few years ago.  Since then I’ve picked up a few more here and there.  What’s nice about them is you can carry drivers license, credit card and a few more pieces of paper and still have room for $.  and they fit nicely in a ziplock in a jersey pocket.  When riding locally I carry copies of my license and insurance cards which I reduced and laminated. Oh, I can also carry my small key ring in it, house and car keys.  Tony, years ago on RAGBRAI some company gave away waterproof holders like what you use, probably not as good though.  And yes I have $ hidden in several places while on RAGBRAI, so well hidden that one year while getting all my stuff ready again I found some $ left over from the year before.

Amanda, February 2, 2012 at 7:26 pm

My sherpas carry all my money. :)

mentor58, February 2, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Amanda said: My sherpas carry all my money. :)

After all, what’s a Princess really need money for on a day-by-day basis, other than occasionally granting some royal largess to some deserving peasant.

Steve
Who wonders what the Queen of England really carries in her purse.

Sandaltan ., February 2, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Runners waist pack………..gotta look at those……could be a replacement for my little butt bag that is nearly worn out.  Thanks fr the idea.

RIDE RIGHT

bicycle dad, February 2, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Put your daily amount in your seat bag and your bundle for the week under your bicycle shoe soles. Very few people lose their shoes so it is a pretty safe place to keep it.

CyclingRoberto, February 2, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Don’t carry cash.  ATM’s are abundant.  Just carry what you need for a day or two.  A “bundle” is asking for trouble should you lose it, and my shoes aren’t made for packing.  Especially should it rain.  A serious answer is just get a wallet that is weatherproof.  There are tons of options.

jwsknk, February 3, 2012 at 8:19 am

I have seen ATM’s in smaller towns be bled dry. If a resturant in a town takes plastic, I use that and save the cash for vendors on the road. Last year it was just wet all week, got wet Saturday in Glenwood and never did dry out.

CyclingRoberto, February 3, 2012 at 8:21 am

jwsknk said: I have seen ATM’s in smaller towns be bled dry. If a resturant in a town takes plastic, I use that and save the cash for vendors on the road. Last year it was just wet all week, got wet Saturday in Glenwood and never did dry out.

You only need to hit the ATM 3-4 times in the week.  Agreed to use plastic where you can.  Some day there will be a RAGBRAI app that will allow vendors to let you pay with your phone.

“Bicycle Bill”, February 3, 2012 at 10:50 am

CyclingRoberto said:

jwsknk said: I have seen ATM’s in smaller towns be bled dry. If a resturant in a town takes plastic, I use that and save the cash for vendors on the road. Last year it was just wet all week, got wet Saturday in Glenwood and never did dry out.

You only need to hit the ATM 3-4 times in the week.  Agreed to use plastic where you can.  Some day there will be a RAGBRAI app that will allow vendors to let you pay with your phone.

That’s OK for the vendors like Mr. Pork Chop, Cookie’s BBQ, or Tom’s Turkey, but how about the “Kool-aid stand on the side of the road” type setup or the church group in one of the pass-thru towns that is doing this as a one-and-done type of thing?  Even if there were an app (and there already is, BTW — VerizonWireless has already partnered with Intuit, or do a search for Android card reader) the set-up and processing fees would eat up too much of their take.

I agree with Roberto; carry enough cash for the day, hit an ATM (or a branch of the local bank) in the overnight or the mid-day pass-thru town to replenish as needed, and use plastic whenever possible.

-“BB”-

eddie_the_ex_cabana_boy, February 3, 2012 at 11:06 am

I always go with my regular wallet, emptied of anything other than the necessary ID forms and no more that $100.00 in cash.  (per day)

I stick the wallet into a zip-lock plastic bag and then it goes into my bar bag up front, so I can get at it easily.  That bar bag’s probably the most used accessory on my bike.

I usually leave the greater portion of my cash with the support driver and that’s always locked up in the glove compartment.

It’s a good way to go I think!

Let’s ride, baby!

Ed

“Bicycle Bill”, February 3, 2012 at 11:26 am

Good thought, eddie — don’t bring your entire billfold with you.  I set up what I refer to as my “RAGBRAI wallet”; it contains my ID, my bank debit card (which will also work as a credit card), my emergency contact and medical information, and a couple of other things (like my Eagles Club membership card, since there are clubs in CR, Anamosa, and Clinton as well as perhaps in some of the pass-thru towns) that might come in useful along the way.  I don’t need to carry pictures of my family or girlfriend, or my draft card, or my library card, or my membership card in the “Meister Bierschmecker Verein”.  Not only does it eliminate the possibility of losing these things or getting them wet, it also makes for a much thinner wallet.

Which tends to get even thinner as the week goes on…….

-“BB”-

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI