RAGBRAI XLIX registration is now open!

How do you carry your money?

So I’m looking in to some option for carrying around id/cash when I’m on the ride. I wore fanny pack 11 years ago but am looking for other solutions. I was thinking of looking for one of those passport holder type things that go around your neck and under your shirt for when you are traveling. I just don’t want to have any oopsie moments in a kybo or anything that will leave me feeling uncomfortable.

34 Replies

10usstring, February 3, 2012 at 12:53 pm

If you keep your cash in your luggage, make sure you have enough with you for the days ride before you load the truck.  It’s just about impossiable to get anything out of the bags after they are loaded.  I keep a couple of $20 stashed on the bike just in case. 

Michrider !!!, February 3, 2012 at 2:21 pm

CyclingRoberto said:

jwsknk said: I have seen ATM’s in smaller towns be bled dry. If a resturant in a town takes plastic, I use that and save the cash for vendors on the road. Last year it was just wet all week, got wet Saturday in Glenwood and never did dry out.

You only need to hit the ATM 3-4 times in the week.  Agreed to use plastic where you can.  Some day there will be a RAGBRAI app that will allow vendors to let you pay with your phone.

I used an ATM inside a bar in 2009.  I got the last cash out of the machine. The long line of people behind be were not happy!!!!

3 Pedal, February 3, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I have a small zippered pouch that I carry my ID, 1 credit card and some cash in.  Typically the days allowance, and my emergency road side repair fund.  We have had to buy a shifter and 2 sets of wheels over the the years.  At least at one time, all the mechanics didn’t take plastic on the road.  Last year I think they did.

The rest of the weeks money is with our support vehicle. 

giantron, February 3, 2012 at 2:54 pm

For the ride I take a business card holder (thin flexible plastic) and put in my health insurance card, license, ATM card, and enough cash for the day. I leave the rest of my cash back with my gear. I also throw a rubber band around the thing since it keeps it from easily flopping out of a pocket. While riding it stays in a frame bento bag with the phone.

And a ziploc is always in the bento in case it rains. 
Works well for me.
I can see how the runners waist packs would be a good idea too.

Viewing 4 replies - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI