RAGBRAI LI Weeklong and Day Passes available until 7/5!

How does the lottery work?

I would like to ride in ragbrai next year along with 3 others, so far, that say they would like to also. I hear you are selected by lottery pick. What are the chances that 1 of us would be picked? What about all 4 of us? How does it work? Thanks for any insight you may can offer.

6 Replies

sestrain, August 19, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Get your applications in early and the chances are very high that all of you will get a wrist band.  Plus, there are always wristbands for sale later.

mlwalk, August 20, 2011 at 8:20 am

Set up a team and put yourself on the team when you register, that way if one of you gets picked you all get picked (at least that is what they always told me).

tjdale, August 20, 2011 at 9:14 am

It does not matter if you get your application in early or at the end of the registration period, the lottery does not take place until after registration closes.  And yes, if you are part of a team and any one member of that team gets in, all members of the team get in.  If you will be going with a friend or friends, it is wise to come up with a team name and have everyone register under that name.  Or find a team which already exists contact them to see if you are compatible and join up with them. 

GetAClue Blue, August 22, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Good insight. Thanks to all of you. GACB

holymoly, September 18, 2011 at 6:41 pm

The only lottery is the one you get your tickets from at Hy-Vee. NOBODY gets turned down, DMR just wants your money early and hopes you can’t make it.

Worst case scenario, buying a band day of event. Best case, just ride.

This should stir up the sleeping forum…..zzzzzzzzzzzz, this forum has people in it that could wake out of a coma and 20yrs later state “I can’t wait”…..

kicks9, September 20, 2011 at 9:30 am

I am not sure the lottery does work.  I heard 20K riders this year, which sounds like to me they do not limit the field anymore.  A guy told me in Carrol that they expected 30K extra people in the town.  20K were riders and 10K worth of support people either from teams or vendors or RAGBRAI workers.  Granted some of those were bandits, but I am guessing 10K were not.

Kicks9

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters