Join Us in July - Register Today!

How hard is day 3?

I trained last year for a two day 150 mile event in mid-September (century the first day, 50mi the second), and as I go through my logs, I rode about 800mi from March till the ride.  Training-wise, I was right where I needed to be (okay, more is almost always better, but I was happy and enjoyed the ride.)

I was happy to discover that, aside from being saddle-sore the first few miles, that day 2 wasn’t all that bad.  I doubt I could’ve done day 1 again (100mi, about 5500′ climb), but 50mi/1800′ on day 2 was entirely manageable.

RAGBRAI’s a little longer.  How much worse are days 3 through 7?

21 Replies

Michrider !!!, January 25, 2012 at 5:11 pm

ehlent said: As far as the ride goes, Ragbrai is really a pretty easy ride, terrain wise.   The weather is by far the biggest concern or factor for ragbrai.   It can be very hot like last year, or actually quite cool and everything in between. 

If you can ride 2 long days in a row, then why couldn’t you do more?   It’s not a race,  just go out and ride.

I had a great time last year but it was not easy. At least for me it wasn’t!!!!

Richie Rich, January 25, 2012 at 6:38 pm

On my first RAGBRAI I rode the full week and it was the first time I had more than 50 miles of saddle time in one day. I was prepaired to physically decline as the week went on (I also party pretty hard) but I was quite surprised at how much more energy I had on every successive day. The hard part is when you reach the end and can’t ride the next day under the protective services of the Fantastic Iowa State Patrol!!!

Satman, January 26, 2012 at 11:41 am

Like RR I’ve always found on 3+day rides that day #2 is the toughest,
then you get stronger each following day.  After 7-day’s though, I’m
usually ready to get home.
DALMAC has a route which is either 4 or 5 centuries in a row, and
the ‘getting stronger’ experience has been consistent.
You’ve got to have your ‘buns’ in shape though.  Chafing on the first
day is a real bad start!!

Thoreau, January 26, 2012 at 6:26 pm

As a first time Ragbrai rider last year, I was worried how I would feel after multiple days of riding–it was an aspect of the ride I couldn’t train for. But I found that I did not feel particularly worse on day 6 (except for my rear-end which really did feel worse on day 6 and 7). I put in about 900 miles before Ragbrai with several 50-70 milers and that seemed to do the trick. And Advil took care of the sore rear.

knees36, January 26, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Oooops!!! I thought I was keying in an entry on “what do you do when someone in a car yells at you.” This green needs to be a bit brighter. Dang!!!

David Thompson, June 18, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Day three will be a piece of cake(or pie)!!

Dave T.

Viewing 6 replies - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters