RAGBRAI LI Day Passes are still available!

how much loot to take to ragbri

I am an unemployed seasonal park worker.  I plan on riding ragbri this year.I bike ride around 100 miles per week some times  more. I am an avid wieght lifter and mt. biker. All i do is lift wieghts and bike ride all week.

I will have to pick up a part time job soon in order to save up some money for the trip to Iowa to do the ride. Here is my qsts,  How much money will i need in order to do the ride and have a good time.how much does a shuttle cost back to my car.How much for food. Do the showers cost anything.Does the 150.00  dollars cover my bagage from town to town. I have all the gear. Just no money yet. I have met alot of people who have ridden the ragbri,and they all say it’s a party.

Thanks

7 Replies

jwsknk, November 24, 2011 at 8:06 pm

The RAGBRAI fee covers baggage transport on their semis. Figure$5 for each breakfast, 2-3 for gatorade,beer,showers,pie. Another 5 for first lunch,5 more for second lunch. Supper 5-10 then another 3-5 for second supper.

Sandaltan ., November 25, 2011 at 11:28 am

There are many possibilities.  A few bike back to their car or home after RAGBRAI.  The wife met a group from Florida last year who, for years, have parked their vehicle at the ending town and biked across Iowa to the starting town.  Biking to the start town is a great way to add to the experience or RAGBRAI.

RIDE RIGHT

Tony, November 25, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Some of this is covered on the RAGBRAI site. For non drinkers. It cost about $35 a day. I’ve done it on $20. If your a drinker then you need $3x the amount of beverages you will drink a day added to that. Consider joining a team, club, or charter. I’ll PM you with some information.

Michrider !!!, November 25, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Tony said: Some of this is covered on the RAGBRAI site. For non drinkers. It cost about $35 a day. I’ve done it on $20. If your a drinker then you need $3x the amount of beverages you will drink a day added to that. Consider joining a team, club, or charter. I’ll PM you with some information.

Tony, so how much money will I need each day????

RonB, November 25, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Michrider said:

Tony said: If your a drinker then you need $3x the amount of beverages you will drink a day added to that.

Tony, so how much money will I need each day????

TO INFINITY, AND BEYOND !!

Lowrydr, November 25, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Michrider said: Tony, so how much money will I need each day????

Michrider, I know I aint Tony but, for you, you better figure on 6 bucks for every half hour you plan on sitting on the curb.

seminole11: figure on 50 a day and save the change each night for extra just incase.

Gypsy Rose, November 25, 2011 at 6:03 pm

seminole11 said: Here is my qsts,  How much money will i need in order to do the ride and have a good time.how much does a shuttle cost back to my car.How much for food. Do the showers cost anything.Does the 150.00  dollars cover my bagage from town to town. I have all the gear. Just no money yet.

As with so many things, the answers to your questions must be prefaced with, “it depends.”

You’ll hear from folks who’ll share their own RAGBRAI budgets, but keep in mind that those numbers come from their own personal experiences on the ride and the possibilities for variation are endless. No doubt, there is certainly plenty to spend money at RAGBRAI. Rarely are there moments along the entire route when one is out of sight of someone trying to sell food, drink, souvenirs, etc. to the riders. For those on a budget, however, it is quite possible to get by with much less than the average RAGBRAI expenditure.

In response to your questions:

1) How much money will i need in order to do the ride and have a good
time?

It depends on how you define “a good time.”

2) how much does a shuttle cost back to my car?

Anywhere from $0 to $$$$, depending on how creative/energetic one can be.

3) How much for food?

You can buy food from vendors (as most riders do) or you can buy food at grocery stores along the way. Figure $5 – $8 for a meal from the typical RAGBRAI vendor. I packed along a “snack bag” that I’d prepared at home before heading to Iowa. In it, I had 7 days worth of between-meal calories to help keep the muscles fueled.
As for fluid, it seems that a lot of folks spend a ton of cash on Gatorade and other electrolyte replacement drinks. The stuff is available at virtually every vendor along the route. Water, however, is available for free and is also readily available along the route (although not as easy to find as Gatorade). If you need some sugar in the water, it’s easy enough to carry along a small tub of powdered Gatorade to add to the water bottle. I carried a tub in my duffel. Before departing camp each morning, I’d put a water/electrolyte drink mix in one of my water bottles while filling the other with plain old water. During the day I’d mostly drink water, but I had that bottle of sugar water to draw from when it felt like the energy level was dropping.

4) Do
the showers cost anything?

Most of the showers available to riders have a fee – $3 to $5 from what I saw in 2011. While I did shower at the commercial facilities for about half the days on the ride, I also carried a solar shower bag in my duffel. I filled it with water, let it sit in the sun for a bit, and got a nice rinse-down without having to stand in line.

5) Does the 150.00  dollars cover my bagage from
town to town?

Yes. The ride registration fee covers baggage transport.
I tend to travel on the low-budget end of the spectrum, and not necessarily because the funds aren’t available. I just find it more satisfying to get by without all the catering and extravagance, but everyone’s tastes differ. On the 2011 ride, I ended up averaging a little less than $30/day for everything. I ate well (very well, in fact). I had a few beers every night, but they were typically from a shared purchase that came from a grocery store. I showered every day. And, I must say, I had a phenomenally terrific time. I met many incredibly fantastic people who I now have to wait an entire year to see again, but I’ll be returning to Iowa next year.

I hope your plans to attend the ride go well.

Best,
~ Kevin

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XL – 2012’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters