Join Us in July - Register Today!

How to get home early if I need to bail

Looking for a suggestion. I might not make it the whole week with a friend of mine but we are signing up for the whole week. We plan to stick together and if one cannot do it all we both will go home.

My daughter is ready to drive along the route in case I need to bail. Can I do this? It didn’t appear I could but what other choice do I have?

15 Replies

jwsknk, March 14, 2011 at 1:19 pm

if you make it through the first 2 days the rest of the weel should be fine. The Register sets a seperate route each day for vehicals with a meeing town about half way. Depending on the town, parking can be hard to find and really should have a vehical pass to get into the campground at night too.

Sticking together during the day can be tough unless your styles mesh well, easy to drop or be dropped on hills.

other options? make friends with a team that has a bus and maybe they can take you to the next overnigt or find someone who needs a driver for a day, they usually post on the info board in the area near the Register info tent.

Sandaltan ., March 14, 2011 at 2:40 pm

See Sag Service:  https://ragbrai.com/about/general-information/#35

Your daughter would not have to follow the route each day, she would just have to be available to pick you up at one of the overnight towns.  If you decide  you have had enough fun and can’t bike another mile while out on the route the DM Register will sag you and your bike to the next overnight town.  Then you could call your daughter and have her pick you up that evening or the next morning.  I would advise the next morning as many of us bikers will have cleared out and she would not have to battle traffic and you and your buddy could have a leisurely breakfast while watching the stragglers leave town.

RIDE RIGHT

pmac, March 14, 2011 at 3:10 pm

No one from the Register is going to make you keep riding if you want to stop.  If your daughter is going to be following on the vehicle route in a car and you need to bail, you could call on her cell, pick a close by off route spot to meet and ride there.  You would both need good road maps marked with both the bike route and the vehicle route or use Sandaltan’s suggestion.

Amanda, March 14, 2011 at 6:31 pm

I thought this was about bail – money to get out of jail. Ooops, sorry.

Sandaltan ., March 14, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Amanda said: I thought this was about bail – money to get out of jail. Ooops, sorry.

You have no worries Princess Amanda.  The Royal Palace Guard will protect your royal hindness.

RIDE RIGHT

WILLLIKESJAVA, March 15, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I had to have my wife come pick me up in Dyersville a few years ago.  I tore a hammy trying to out run a double play on the Field of Dreams.  I just called my wife and she drove out and picked me up the next morning(your daughter could do the same).  Worse case scenario you just SAG to the over night town and get picked up there the next day(on upside you would have to worry about riding the next day hung over).

And even though I tore my hamstring(really gross with bruising that lasted over a month), I was safe at second base! 

Sandaltan ., March 15, 2011 at 4:13 pm

SAFE AT SECOND BASE….On the Field of Dreams!!!  Now that is a real RAGBRAI memory!!

RIDE RIGHT

Amanda, March 15, 2011 at 7:26 pm

lhpakrat said: My daughter is ready to drive along the route in case I need to bail. Can I do this? It didn’t appear I could but what other choice do I have?

Here is my real answer. Your daughter will not want to drive the same route as the bikers. She will need a map and find an off route way. The is a meeting town each day where the support drivers meet their teams. She could meet you there. Now, Lucy, a very spry  rider in her 70’s, meets her husband in every town. He finds alternate routes but meets up at the edge of each town when Lucy comes in. It can be done.

lhpakrat, March 16, 2011 at 7:16 am

What a great group of responders. Thanks very much! I feel much better about it now.

turtlemom, March 16, 2011 at 9:10 am

I don’t think I would count on the Register SAG wagon. I think I saw one 2 or 3 times the whole route. I don’t know if there is supposed to be some way to contact them but if yur just waiting for them for happen by you could be there all day!

Satman, March 16, 2011 at 10:50 am

lhpakrat said: Looking for a suggestion. I might not make it the whole week with a friend of mine but we are signing up for the whole week. We plan to stick together and if one cannot do it all we both will go home.

My daughter is ready to drive along the route in case I need to bail. Can I do this? It didn’t appear I could but what other choice do I have?

lhpakrat ~ Lot’s of good recommendations here.  Here’s mine:
     Plan to finish!  Start now.  We know you and your friend can do it!

knees36, March 16, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Satman said:

lhpakrat said: Looking for a suggestion. I might not make it the whole week with a friend of mine but we are signing up for the whole week. We plan to stick together and if one cannot do it all we both will go home. My daughter is ready to drive along the route in case I need to bail. Can I do this? It didn’t appear I could but what other choice do I have?

lhpakrat ~ Lot’s of good recommendations here.  Here’s mine:     Plan to finish!  Start now.  We know you and your friend can do it!

Once you get hooked on RAGBRAI (it only takes a few hours) you will want to finish the ride and keep right on chuggin’ into Illinois!!!

lhpakrat, March 25, 2011 at 9:20 am

Thanks everyone. Great group to be riding with.

Blumblebees, March 28, 2011 at 9:01 am

my 2nd year on ragbrai I pulled a muscle in my back while riding. I had to wait about 4 hours for the sag wagon. If you ever get into any trouble while on the route or need to sag turn your bike upside down so your wheels are up in the air and your handlebars/seat are on the ground. You’ll be surprised at the number of people who will stop or call out to make sure you are ok. I even had an elderly gentleman who was a minister from some small town in Iowa (can’t remember name after all these years) who was too tired to go on and so he joined me. We spent the afternoon chatting and sharing cookies and drinking water and a woman who lived near by brought us iced tea and sat with us a bit. It was great. I’m from Jersey and you just don’t get to do those kind of things here. You never talk to strangers but on RAGBRAI you’ll never meet friendlier people. 

jwsknk, March 28, 2011 at 9:04 am

To add to bumblebees, if you are wanting the sag, pull off on the left side. It’s easier for them to pull over and stop on that side

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters