How to identify things that can get lost

Over the years I’ve read and come up with some ideas to label things that can get lost and I wanted to share them with you.

Camera – On your computer screen open Word and type out your name, address, phone number and team name. Make it real big and take a picture of it with your camera. Now if you lose your camera your info is on there for the finder to see. I usually have a clean SD card before I start RAGBRAI so it’s the first picture on there.

Wallet – On the back of a business card write your name, team name and your phone number to contact if lost. Put it up front so the finder can easily spot it.

Phone – If you keep your phone in a bag put a note in there with your name, team name and someone else’s phone number who’s on your team for a contact. Another thing you can do is put all that info on a simple white background picture and make it your wallpaper if your phone locks.

Camelbak, purse, etc – For anything else you could leave somewhere put your name, team name and phone number on a note and put that note in a clear plastic bag in case it all gets wet.

I see a lot of lost cameras on this forum so maybe these tips will help lost cameras find their owners!

3 Replies

Sandaltan ., July 8, 2013 at 2:06 pm

All good ideas. A couple of phone numbers on a tag attached to the vehicle keys is also a good idea.

RIDE RIGHT

Iceman, July 8, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Sandaltan, I use your trick but I do something else as well. When we drive to Iowa, I give a second key to my car to my riding buddy to keep for the week and I keep one in my duffle. It’s likely we’ll not lose both of them. I leave my other keys at home. Don’t need them on RAGBRAI and no sense tempting fate.

Sandaltan ., July 9, 2013 at 10:06 am

I lost a set of car keys while biking in far north Minnesota some years back, my fault entirely. Fortunately the Little Stoker had her keys so we were not stranded. Since then I have always had a tag on my key rings with our phone numbers. BTW, those electronic keys are not cheap to replace. Years ago I kept a key wired or attached to the underside of my vehicle with a wing nut in case of loss.

RIDE RIGHT

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI