How to not get run over this year

I touched on this in another thread, but I wanted to share this with everyone as I think it saves lives. Please take the time to look this over and share this website with others.

http://cyclingsavvy.org/hows-my-driving/

Kwog

7 Replies

T. Gap Woo, June 10, 2016 at 10:29 am

Kwog,

That was an excellent link! Thanks for sharing it. It ought to be linked to the Ride Right tab on the RAGBRAI website. How about it, TJ?

One tip that I would share is this: make yourself obvious. I wear garishly colored, bright cycling shirts that scream “Look out! Here I am!” I also fly a 4′ staff with a bright orange safety flag, US flag, state flag and Marine Corps/Army flags (in honor of my veteran son and son-in-law). In congested areas, I frequently give a honk on my ooga horn. So far, I’ve had no problems with vehicles (knock on wood).

See you along the I-O-Way next month.

“Bicycle Bill”, June 10, 2016 at 6:15 pm

Excellent link indeed, but this organization, it seems, is re-inventing the wheel (pun intended).  The League of American Bicyclists — formerly the League of American Wheelmen, originally founded in 1880 — has been preaching this same gospel since the early 1960s when it re-emerged from a state of stagnation to once again claim its rightful place as THEnational organization dedicated to supporting cycling and cyclists’ rights.  They’ve even set in place a network of cycling trainers who espouse the principles of “Effective Cycling” as spelled out in the handbook of the same name by John Forester.  Even if you don’t accept it 100%, it is definitely worth a read; and the more you apply some of his ideas and techniques (and find that they work), the more open you will become to the rest of the program.

Don’t get me wrong; the more people blowing the same horn the better; but I believe that it is better to get the message across if we as cyclists present a unified front to the highway lobby and the rest of the “Cars Are King” crowd.

-“BB”-

Craig Parson, June 14, 2016 at 12:17 pm

I agree this is not new information. What I see as the value of this link is to explain visually why you need to be riding the way you are. I had trouble getting this concept across even to long time cyclist. This is quick and easily understood. Most people are not going to read the book, they don’t even have time to get in all the training miles.

Kwog

cmparsley, June 14, 2016 at 7:23 pm

“Bicycle Bill”: Don’t get me wrong; the more people blowing the same horn the better; but I believe that it is better to get the message across if we as cyclists present a unified front to the highway lobby and the rest of the “Cars Are King” crowd.

AMEN!!! League of American Bicyclists Cycling Instructor #4164 here. Some folks need to look beyond themselves and the tooting of their own horn. It is OK to be a small part of something much much bigger. Do it because advocating is the right thing to do, not because you want to hear people praise you for what you’ve done.

Craig Parson, July 5, 2016 at 8:58 am

Still alive, probably going to survive until Ragbrai fingers crossed. Got close-passed this weekend by a pickup and when my buddy gave him the “what the hell” raised arms the guy slammed on his brakes, began lecturing us. He then tried to claim he was a cyclist, why the close pass then? People are crazy, people are stupid. Protect yourself and do the thinking for them.

Craig

bradcss, July 5, 2016 at 1:41 pm

If UR asking about how to not get run over whilst on Ragbrai: High visible clothing, front/rear LED lights on at dusk, get finished for the day by 6pm, ride with people, keep your head on a swivel & drive defensive, use your bell when approaching people, look B4 you drastically change positions. Nothing is full proof!

Craig Parson, July 6, 2016 at 6:45 am

I am not worried about safety on the Ragbrai. I just want everyone to make it to the Ragbrai. Public roads are dangerous as most people don’t know how to treat coming upon a cyclist who is not riding at the speed limit. Cyclists don’t help matter either as everyone seems to follow their own set of rules or none at all which adds fear to the mix. Being predictable is number one in my mind and acting like an automobile is the way to do that. Stop at stop sign, ride in the lane, not the ditch or on the white line. In Iowa there now is a pass in the other lane law that just passed, but as proven by our own State Troopers not everyone is aware or cares.

Craig

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI