The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

How's the training?

Seems slow this year, up to 1110. And here comes another weekend and another round of rain. 7-8 inches over Friday through Tuesday. Like we need that. And the temps? all over the place, last Monday a high of 48, Thursday over 90. Then after a wet weekend 50 again on Monday. And did I mention the wind? 25 mph again yesterday. Now PedJam Mo has been shortened and some detours in place, Can’t start in Columbia as those trails are under water, and flooded around Rocheport. Guess we just have to grab some miles anytime the weather decides to allows it.

44 Replies

KenH, May 23, 2019 at 10:09 am

It’s a long weekend for me this weekend with Memorial day on Monday and our work 9 hours a day and get every other Friday off summer hours at work. So maybe I will get a ride or two in even though it is supposed to be rainy here in NE Illinois too. Hows my training going? Don’t ask, I’ve been afraid to add up the numbers because they are so low….

kicks9, May 23, 2019 at 10:28 am

Mine is OK, not the weather issues you guys are seeing, but life issues.

Got a new job and was bummed because I thought RAGBRAI was a no go this year.

Quit training, then found out the company I am going to will allow me to take a week off in July since I already had it planned so now I am trying to catch up.

Rode 2 times this week already, plan on 3 times this long weekend. Long ride of 40 so far this year.

So this weekend I might try a longer ride or just 3 medium rides all in back to back to back days.

June I will try to get in some longer rides. Not sure if I will have 1000 in though. NC is hilly so I think that will not be as bad this year.

I think I can handle the 60-70 mile days, but that 85 mile day might hurt.

Doing 7 long days in a row will be tough, but I think with the extra stops I should be fine.

I ride 20-40 miles straight without stopping or walking. I know RAGBRAI is not like that.

Kicks

Amanda, May 23, 2019 at 10:57 am

I have 100 miles in! Low, maybe, but I saw on my facebook memories that I had 25 miles in on May 22 2013.The route was similiar with overnight in Council Bluffs and Fairfield. Of course I was 6 years younger but I am also 6 years wiser! The weather in NW Iowa has not cooperated for me. Hopefully, I will get my minimum of 500 in before RAGBRAI starts!

Chad Frana, May 23, 2019 at 1:51 pm

Bad subject…. I got ~9 miles in… RAIN ALL THE TIME…. well that’s IOWA for you.

Rene Borrero, May 23, 2019 at 7:45 pm

Here in Minnesota is the same story, no one can do anything out in the garden, I cannot ride my bike for two straight days. it has been raining so much, and windy, and cold. I thought I was in Seattle WA. while the rest of the nation is training for this. my training are only 5 miles , 8 miles there 26 miles round trip, but like I said. the weather here is making everyone lazy. I am doing the MS 150 in June, to get things going. but it is hard to train by yourself, and ride bike where you park you car.

skb-mpls, May 23, 2019 at 9:19 pm

As a early retiree and heart attack survivor I try to adhere to the “There’s no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes”. In Swedish its meaning is far clearer. It means “Go outside.”

In Mpls… it was a rough winter no doubt about it. I did not go cycling when it was colder than -10 F and do no not bike until roads and trails are plowed. This is normally within 24 hours of heavy snowfall. The city and park board do an amazing job of moving snow off trails and roads. I ride a SS 29er with 2.3″ tires with a studded tire up front during the snow and ice period of winter. My normal route is 22 miles or so. It is with great joy when I can swap out my studded tire for a normal tire up front… No more rice crispy sound up front! haha

So far I’m up to 1642 miles on my bikes. My longest ride is 41 miles. (I get bored after that) The last 4 years my goal is 4000 miles. Now, I need to get some hot weather training in for RAGBRAI and need to find some hills in Mpls/St Paul for hill training.

The latest NWS 90 forecast for Mpls is below normal temps and above normal precip. Yuk. It’s little wonder that the local CBS TV station has 5 full time Meteorologists on staff to dish up a full dose of nasty and changeable weather forecasts.

hnschipper, May 23, 2019 at 10:20 pm

I’m not as far along as I wanted to be. I had surgery #4 on my thumb in January (lingering injury from a bike accident 3 years ago) and I couldn’t ride the first few months of the year. And it’s been so rainy here, and I’m leery of riding in the rain now (it was a puddle with mud hiding at the bottom that took me down 3 years ago. I rode RAGBRAI that year with a pin in my broken thumb.)

Gypsy Rose, May 24, 2019 at 6:13 am

It’s been a similar weather story here in Vermont (although not as severe as what the mid-western states have been experiencing). After finally emerging from the winter that wouldn’t end, April and May have been very wet and cold. Many fields are still covered with standing water in the river valleys. It’s going to be a challenging year for crops.

Since getting back on the bike in early May I’ve been trying to put at least 5 hours a week in the saddle. The hills seem much bigger this year, however. (Around here, my rides tend to average about 1,100 feet of elevation gain per 10 miles biked.) As the aging process continues I’ve been reluctant to accept that my pace will slow as the years go by. Maybe I should ditch the Strava app and just ride!

Looking forward to seeing everyone in July!

Cheers,
~ Kevin

R-Daryl Daryl, May 24, 2019 at 6:59 am

The real training heroes are those have less than 20 saddle miles before ridding across the state.
justgobike.net

John Richardson, May 24, 2019 at 9:38 am

I don’t think hero is the term I’d use. I live in north Missouri and it is quite wet here as well but being retired I’m able to ride most of the dry times. I’ve currently rode 2055 miles this year, but am mostly training for another cycling event. By the time I finish the cross country race I’m training for and ride to Council Bluffs I should have nearly 7000 miles.

Geoff Butland, May 24, 2019 at 6:20 pm

Close to 900 miles…long weekend ahead will help.

LawnchairMan, May 24, 2019 at 9:03 pm

I’ve got 2300 miles so far, but it has been so sporadic that I am still way out of shape. I know I shouldn’t complain since I live in the West, but we have already had our annual rainfall. It is dangerous to ride here when it rains, because it brings up the oils from the road. The wet road paint is sooo slippery!

Rain, wind, work and life problems interfere with important things! Less than two months to get ready!

dalebob, May 25, 2019 at 10:24 am

I have several hundred indoor trainer miles so far, but outside a pathetic 200 or so. We just returned from a trip out east (Kevin, we were in East Hardwick for a few days) and am wondering if I can count the time in the car as “saddle time”? With this weather it has been tricky, not so much the cold and rain but the mud. Slippery and dangerous, even on a recumbent. Turning 60 this year and have decided I can slow down the pace and take more breaks if needed.

LawnchairMan, May 25, 2019 at 12:56 pm

Youngin’

Roy Trent, May 26, 2019 at 1:08 pm

We have had a fairly good spring and early summer. I have about 1500 miles (400 inside trainer- 1100 outside) and about 50,000 ft of climbing split between Ohio and Virginia. Lots of 30-35 mile rides. Just started working on distance. Was able to recently do a 50,85 and 65. The 65 yesterday had a 17% in it at the mid point. Now I need to start stringing together some longer rides on consecutive days.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014