How's the training?

Seems slow this year, up to 1110. And here comes another weekend and another round of rain. 7-8 inches over Friday through Tuesday. Like we need that. And the temps? all over the place, last Monday a high of 48, Thursday over 90. Then after a wet weekend 50 again on Monday. And did I mention the wind? 25 mph again yesterday. Now PedJam Mo has been shortened and some detours in place, Can’t start in Columbia as those trails are under water, and flooded around Rocheport. Guess we just have to grab some miles anytime the weather decides to allows it.

44 Replies

Chad Frana, June 26, 2019 at 8:35 am

Well I broke 150 mile mark last night… Think I will get to 225 by the start.

Randall Murphy, June 26, 2019 at 9:32 am

Well I should break the 200 mile mark this weekend on the road. Rehabbing a bum knee and I’ve been hitting the trainer hard since June 1 to catch up but I’m still expecting a great ride in July. The interval training on the trainer builds strength for me and I’ll have 400 miles of road riding seat time and that’s been enough to enjoy Iowa. This will be my fifteenth year and this plan works for me since I don’t have the time (even in an injury free year) to get lots of miles in. I used to be intimidated by all of the miles that many people put in but I’ve realized that there are many different paths to success. Heck, my 32 year old son rode a few years ago with exactly zero training miles. Admittedly his butt was sore but Crossfit 5 days a week worked for him. Keep doing your thing. Stay safe. See you in a few weeks.

Aaron Rodriguez, June 26, 2019 at 10:45 am

I am alittle over 500 miles but I really want to get as close to 1000 miles before the week of riding .

Cory Hedin, June 26, 2019 at 12:17 pm

I’m at 3,500 miles and counting for the year, but I am concerned about the humidity and heat. Hard to assimilate those conditions in Minne-snow-ta. I will have to make sure I have my fluid intake dialed in. Less beer when it’s hot and humid. 🙂

Nico ZZZ, June 26, 2019 at 12:34 pm

Less beer…leaves room for a super-refreshing afternoon vodka lemonade.
Ride On!

Allison Schefers, July 1, 2019 at 9:37 am

This is my first ride and I’m right around 400 miles and doing 2-3 high intensity interval training. I’m planning to get 700 in but I’m concerned that I don’t have enough hill training especially the first day of the ride

T. Gap Woo, July 1, 2019 at 3:37 pm

Total YTD (well, since Groundhog Day anyway) = 1531 miles.

I just finished riding the Great Allegheny Passage on Friday 6/28. It was excellent preparation for Ragbrai, particularly the heat and humidity. While there were no “low rollers” like in Iowa, it was uphill all the way from Pittsburgh to the eastern continental divide. While the average grade was 1.5%, the 40 mile stretch from Confluence to the Divide seemed more than that. However, uphill is still uphill. Good training.

The payback was the 24 mile downhill stretch from the Divide through Frostburg to Cumberland. I exceeded the posted 15 mph speed limit several times (Shooosh, don’t tell anyone!).

Urgent business back home forced me to delay the C&O Canal Trail portion of the ride until later this summer (late August or early September?).

Thanks to all of the Ragbrai’ers who made comments and suggestions on my earlier thread about this ride as preparation for Ragbrai. They were very helpful.

I’m sending a special shout-out of appreciation to two individuals (whose names I cannot readily locate, but they know who they are!): one provided a spreadsheet of places to stay along the way (Mrs Woo has an easier time finding accommodations for the night); the other recommended that we try the Queen City Creamery in Cumberland (you were right; their ice cream is TDF!).

I hope the C&O ride is as pleasant as the GAP ride was. I can’t wait to ride Ragbrai again next year.

See you along the I-O-Way in 2020.

andytetmeyer, July 1, 2019 at 4:27 pm

really great, 1007 more than this time last year. have not ridden in any hot weather yet. that’s coming in the next 3 weeks I think.
I have good sensations in my legs and the fitness is coming around.

igor, July 1, 2019 at 9:34 pm

1100 for me. A lot on the smart trainer/Zwift this year due to rain and late spring here in the Midwest. Not sure I’ll be able to add too many more miles before the ride.

Brandi Bresson, July 2, 2019 at 7:59 pm

I am just over 400 for the year, and my daughter less than that. This is our 2nd year and we only ride a few days. Looks like I better kick it in gear for the next couple weeks!

nocoloco, July 14, 2019 at 10:24 am

13 July Report:

Chose a new training loop yesterday. And having encountered no less than 5 decorative, antique, wood-sided manure spreaders in < 15 miles.. I declare myself “Ragbrai Ready”.

POP QUIZ-
Can anyone on the forum guess the County that is awash in these flower-laden, antiques ?

SFC JKL 2, July 14, 2019 at 5:56 pm

I rode a metric that got up to 95 degrees today (it wasn’t supposed to be that hot). We had to ride 4 miles on a melting blacktop into a headwind. Heat sucks and hopefully we’ll spend most of the time on concrete. It was like riding thru pudding with a hair dryer in your face. We had a beautiful Spring, but Summer has arrived with a vengeance.

LawnchairMan, July 14, 2019 at 6:28 pm

Haven’t trained as much this year as last. Should still do OK, but may have to ride slower.
One of my discouragements was a mechanical. I kept hearing a hollow clicking like the bike was on the verge of shifting, but I couldn’t find the cause. It got so I didn’t want to ride. I now have it narrowed to my rear hub, so I will have to open it and make sure all is proper. I suspect a spring was flipped when it came apart a few months ago. (Water tube dropped between spokes and cassette) Worse comes to worse I can use a different wheel. Two training rides left and I’m off to Iowa!

Jboz, July 14, 2019 at 7:09 pm

Just north of 800 miles. Got in 50 today, and still had plenty of gas in the tank. Would have done another 20 or so, but needed to get some stuff done at home.

Viewing 14 replies - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014