RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

I-29 DETOUR

What would be the best route going north from kansascity to Glenwood,looks like the interstate as wel as bridges are closed north of St.Joe.Im thinking hope over onto u.s 71 north to Maryville then into Glenwood.Will be in a 40 foot school bus.Whats the road like? Will the traffic be heavy? Need some advise on this.  thanks. 

4 Replies

knees36, July 13, 2011 at 7:52 pm

markgiffin said: What would be the best route going north from kansascity to Glenwood,looks like the interstate as wel as bridges are closed north of St.Joe.Im thinking hope over onto u.s 71 north to Maryville then into Glenwood.Will be in a 40 foot school bus.Whats the road like? Will the traffic be heavy? Need some advise on this.  thanks. 

Using US#71 is a good bet.  I use it often going to KC or coming back from there.  I’d stay on #71 until getting to the intersection of US #71 and US#34, then turning west on #34.  It which will take you right into Glenwood.  There is a shortcut into Glenwood and the camping areas as  you’re travelling on #34 (but it’s easy to miss as you travel on #34) or you can continue on #34 for a mile or two ond then use a business route into town. 

* You should find out just where I-29 is closed past St. Joe…it’s hilly past St. Joe almost all the way to Mound City so  I’d be surprised that I-29 is closed this far south.  It’s very possible that it’s closed from Mound City on north, though, where the highway is flat and built on the Missouri River bottom land.  If I-29 is open up to the US#71 exit, then the following directions should be okay for you.  *You should be able to use I-29 through St. Joe, drive on for maybe 15-20 miles north of St. Joe on I-29 to an exit of US#71.(Don’t take the Savanah exit which is also Business #71 or you will go into Savanah)  but go on north of the Savanah exit then you can get on a four lane US#71 which will be  about 35 miles of four lane road.  Just south of Maryville, US#71 becomes a two lane road for the rest of your trip…almost all the way  to Glenwood.   It’s road conditions vary, but  it’s all driveable,  I believe.  Good luck and have a great RAG.

coach, July 14, 2011 at 3:43 pm

If I-29 closed around Rock Port/Mount City, take the route you talk about. I just came that way the other day. Best route with a bus. Will take 34 west into Glenwood just north of Villisca off of 71. Is no biggie. 4 lanes to Maryville from KC.  Good luck.

BackInTheSaddleAgain, July 14, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Made the drive over 4th of July weekend and it took exactly 3 hours from KC to Glenwood via 29 to 71 to 34.  Was actually very surprised how light the traffic was given the detour and the holiday weekend.  Ragbrai may change that, especially on 34. 

TeamFohty, July 14, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Thanks for the update on the detour

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters