The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

I broke my thumb yesterday

Not sure if I’ll be able to ride this year after all. ? I had an accident yesterday on my training ride. I’ll find out more when I see the orthopedic surgeon on Tuesday. I’m pretty bummed.

17 Replies

Amanda, May 29, 2016 at 10:47 pm

That is too bad. Just wait until Tuesday and hopefully you can still go!

This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by  Amanda.

hnschipper, May 30, 2016 at 7:51 am

Even if I can’t ride, I’m still going to go as support crew for the rest of our group.

“Bicycle Bill”, May 30, 2016 at 3:38 pm

Back on July 21 2006 I took a fall from my bicycle, breaking my right humerus (upper arm bone); the knob broke from the shaft, and then the shaft penetrated the knob causing it to shatter into four pieces.  It required surgery, involved metal plates and a dozen screws to re-assemble everything.  I was back on my bike beforee the end of August… although I wasn’t doing anything near the distances necessary to do RAGBRAI.

Depending on the severity of the damage you did to yourself, you might be able to make it; I would definitely discuss this with your orthopedist and subsequent physical therapists.  My biggest concern is that it was the thumb, which is necessary to allow you to grip things like shift levers, handlebars, and cold cans of adult beverages while seated on various curbs across the state.  Play it by ear, take it easy, and remember — if you find you can’t make it this year, hopefully you will have the 2017 version to look forward to.

-“BB”-

Jordan Decker, May 30, 2016 at 9:55 pm

email me if you want to give away your ticket. My email address is jordec2016@gmail.com. Thank you, Jordan Decker

SFC JKL 2, May 30, 2016 at 11:07 pm

You can do a lot of healing in 54 days. You may not be 100% but it’s a ride, not a race. You’ve got time to work with it.

Tom Young, May 31, 2016 at 10:06 am

I agree with the above. Plenty of time to heal. Also, I had a medical issue that precluded me from riding my carbon fiber Trek 5500. I bought and road a catrike expedition (trike recumbent) and had a blast and it is now my choice of wheels whenever I ride (daily). I have been on 4 Ragbrais’s with it and have seen more trikes and recumbents on the ride every year. Just a thought.

hnschipper, May 31, 2016 at 11:01 am

I haven’t given up all hope of riding yet. I can’t get into the surgeon until Thursday – we’ll see what he says. I do have a bike trainer -while not ideal way to get in training miles, it’s better than nothing (and a recumbent is not in my budget right now.) This is my first serious riding injury.

Nico ZZZ, May 31, 2016 at 11:45 am

Hnschipper,
I missed last Ragbrai when I broke the holy heck out of my ankle in late April 2015 (see photo). As they were taking me to the hospital in the ambulance I asked if Ragbrai in July 2015 was possible. Everyone said: “Oh sure, no problem.” I talked to the surgeon a week later and he said “Ragbrai? What year?” I then realized…Ragbrai 2016 would be my finish line of recovery and come back. I was on my couch, Percoset and morphine coursing through the veins in late July 2015, teary-eyed, as my teammates sent back photos from Ragbrai hoisting a Bloody Mary in my honor.
But now I am back! Didn’t walk for five months in 2015, a year of PT and training and I am stronger than before, carrying nine screws and a plate with me across Iowa this year. Ragbrai 2016 was always my goal, gave me the drive during those countless hours of recovery work. I credit Ragbrai, along with my great surgeon and my amazing PT team, with bringing me back.
I wish you luck and best of news when you meet with your surgeon.
Ride On!

Juan Medium Moose, June 1, 2016 at 1:19 pm

@hnschipper: Very sorry to hear it. Can you get into your TARDIS and pull the parking break until you heal up? If not, I’ll be sure to wave when I see the blue box.

Early April I was thrown off my bike (my own fault) and got scraped up fairly badly, but the only things badly damaged were my handlebars and my ego. Then, also by accident, the doctors found an enormous Schwanzstucker growing in my chest. I will probably still hurt come RAGBRAI.

Daunting season, so far.

Best of luck for a quick recovery.

Brian Wallenburg, June 1, 2016 at 7:39 pm

Impressive image Juan Medium Moose! Hope everything is getting better for you.

Amanda, June 2, 2016 at 8:08 am

hnschipper – how did your appt. go on Tuesday? Any new news?

Juan Medium Moose, June 2, 2016 at 12:49 pm

@bike33:

Impressive image Juan Medium Moose! Hope everything is getting better for you.

Thanks!

I was sure impressed when I saw it! I had no idea it was in there. Doc says it had probably been growing for 10 years…and I did my first RAGBRAI two years ago on a mountain bike. Healing is slow, but it doesn’t impact my riding much.

@hnschipper: We’re all hoping for the best for you. Let us know…

hnschipper, June 2, 2016 at 5:08 pm

I will need a pin, surgery is Monday. 🙁 The surgeon is confident I will still be able to ride! Yay! He thought I could be back on a bike in a few weeks.

Nico ZZZ, June 3, 2016 at 6:22 am

Hnschipper,
Congrats! Good luck with PT and see you in Iowa!
Ride On!

Juan Medium Moose, June 6, 2016 at 4:05 pm

@hnschipper:

The surgeon is confident I will still be able to ride! Yay!

Yay, Yay! Congratulations!
Best of luck with whatever challenges your recovery may bring.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014