Registration is open for RAGBRAI L!

I haven't ridden RAGBRAI in ten years (2006)

So… The last time I rode RAGBRAI you could get a slice of pie for fifteen cents, (twenty for ala mode). I think a pint of beer cost a quarter and cokes were a dime. I know an ear of corn was a nickle or three for a dime.

My question is have the prices increased much?

Okay just kidding about the prices in 2006, pie was $1 or $2 dollars, corn was a $1 or $2 and almost anything on the roadside was $2, is that still the case or have the prices gone up?

9 Replies

BillSpriggs, May 16, 2016 at 2:16 pm

I rode in 2013 and last year, this will be my third RAGBRAI. Prices were typically $1 for water and $2 for sports drinks. I understand that if it is really hot the price of drinks goes up. Pie was typically $1, breakfast at a church or lodge hall was usually $5.

SFC JKL 2, May 16, 2016 at 8:23 pm

Stick to the high side and you’ll be about right. Each town still has a free water point (normally on the back side of town).

jwsknk, May 17, 2016 at 8:29 am

what do you think the average amount spent per day is now? $30-$40? I know it’s not 10 anymore

sdickes, May 17, 2016 at 9:46 am

I generally budget $30 a day. Although I don’t drink so depending on if and how much you decide to drink, you may have to increase that number a little.

Gypsy Rose, May 18, 2016 at 7:46 pm

I’ve never paid for fluids on RAGBRAI (the non-alcoholic type). There are plenty of opportunities to fill water bottles along the route.

Cheers,
~ Kevin

navychief01, May 19, 2016 at 1:25 pm

I like to eat very little when I ride. I eat mountains of food when I am done for the day. Last year I really think I spent less than $10 a day, 8 of which would typically be on cold Diet Coke. Water is typically free in each town and in one town, right as I rode in, a woman and boy were giving away ice, which was awesome. I do remember stopping for a chicken sandwich one day for some Cub Scouts and getting ice cream outside of Storm Lake and pie in Mt. Vernon (but because we were waiting out some rain), but most of the time my money was spent after I was done for the day.

KenH, May 19, 2016 at 3:37 pm

I might make 50 miles on what I ate last night. After that my body is out of fuel and won’t go any farther unless I shovel more coal into the firebox, and then there will be a delay for the steam pressure to build back up. Water is the same way for me, you don’t dare let the water in the boiler get below the crown sheet, and since it is the money that we all spend while riding across Iowa that is the largest incentive the locals have to put on this show year after year I don’t begrudge those who sell water their fair share. I have no choice but to keep a steady stream of both going into the engine, waiting until the end of the day is not an option! I’ll take the free water too when it is convenient but a dollar a bottle when it isn’t is much better than a boiler explosion! I don’t think prices have changed much since I started in 2012. I was taken aback by the cost of lunch in one small town that year. I mean, they did have a long menu to choose from but still. It was only after I had paid their exorbitant fee that I realized that the “menu” was not the menu but the list of what you got for lunch! I only took two thirds of it….

SunblindSwede, May 20, 2016 at 5:22 pm

I rode in 1998, 1999, and then 15 years later in 2014. I’m doing it again this year. I don’t remember what prices were 16 years ago, but in 2014 I planned on $50. per day, which was too much. But I ate and drank something in almost every town we rode through. If you’re not eating and drinking, you’re not doing RAGBRAI justice. Pies and pork cutlet sandwiches…YES!! (And don’t forget the micro/craft beers. There’s more in Iowa than just Budweiser).

Brian Wallenburg, May 21, 2016 at 9:26 pm

Not much different.

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI