PART OF THE USA TODAY NETWORK

I need beer for the ride, how have you gotten beer in the past?

Hello All!

This is my first ragbrai and I am wondering how I can get beer and have it ready for me when I get to the campsite. I know quite well that when an event comes to town, especially a small one, all of the stores sell out of beer and I’d like to support some towns along the way by selling out of their beer too ;). I am not looking to do a charter service and I know they sometimes do this for their customers but I’m wondering if there is something similar but only for beer? Are there many people that are willing to help out in this way? Can you or do you know someone who can help out in this way? I will pay in order to have this done, just not sure how people have done it in the past.

20 Replies

Chad Frana, June 5, 2018 at 7:27 am

One thing about Ragbrai, you never run out of BEER!!!! It’s everywhere you want to be.

jwsknk, June 5, 2018 at 8:12 am

They stock up quite well for the ride. and have a hotline to the distributor just in case.

Sam, June 5, 2018 at 2:02 pm

Getting beer is easy, keeping it cold is hard. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Casey’s out of beer, and we’ve tried.

W Fanning, June 5, 2018 at 2:25 pm

Run out of food or pie.. maybe.. BEER.. Never..

mootsman, June 5, 2018 at 2:46 pm

and your waiting until after the ride, skipping all the places along the way because????

As far as the campsite goes, that depends on if you’re going with a group (RAGBRAI team) or RAGBRAI general services. Most teams usually have coolers full of iced beer.

This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by  mootsman.

reedkennethia, June 5, 2018 at 3:03 pm

If you can’t find beer on the ride, you are in the wrong place pal. 🙂

James Bond, June 11, 2018 at 12:20 pm

Ragbrai riders drink beer? ??

Cyclehulk, June 17, 2018 at 8:21 pm

Your first RAGBRAI, I assume? 😉

This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by  Cyclehulk.

Laura Chichester, June 21, 2018 at 8:48 am

Finding other beverages is a wee bit of challenge but beer it’s everywhere. And James Bond I nearly spit my coffee!

Van, June 21, 2018 at 10:51 am

ROTFLMAO. Sorry Mitchell, clearly your first RAGBRAI. My team tends to ride in the back of the pack and linger in pass through towns. We show up late in the overnight towns as well. Trust me, there have been may times when pass thru towns are selling beers for $1/can because they bought too much. You will NEVER have a problem finding beer on this ride.

patrsnw, June 21, 2018 at 12:44 pm

Do a bit of research ahead of time to find out what local establishments have decent beer and you should be okay. If you really and truly NEED beer, you’ve more serious problems – and there are AA meetings in most towns. (grin)

Peggy Kerr, June 23, 2018 at 9:08 pm

Interesting question I never considered until this year. We are riding with Pork Belly Ventures for first time and didn’t realize until months after registering and paying they don’t offer adult beverages for sale in the evening. I thought it was odd. Anyone else have PBV experience?

Nico ZZZ, June 24, 2018 at 8:25 am

This will be my 4th year with PBV. Do not fret! There is lovely draft beer waiting for you every evening at PBV. Yep, when you sign in on Saturday at camp, you will be given a lovely PBV commemorative mug that you will cherish and guard with your life! You will pack it at the top of your bag for immediate access upon arrival into camp every afternoon, or, as many pro PBVers do, they carry the mug on their trusty ride, so, upon arriving into camp, they can ride right up to the beer dispensary and grab a cold mug o’ brew (two choice craft options) or two before even going to your tent, no currency need be exchanged.
Yes, PBV camp is a magical land!
Ride On!

jeffreydennis, June 25, 2018 at 10:46 am

Back pocket brewery is your friend during the ride

Calli Lauritsen, June 27, 2018 at 5:53 am

I run a bar in Ames, Iowa, The Corner Pocket. Were located right on Main Street where all the live music activites are taking place. I came upon this forum while I was kind of trying to gather what to expect. What riders appreciate? Accomidations I need to make… but the one thing i kknow and can promise you is we wont be running out of beer OR booze!! Normally we open at 2 pm but tentativly we are going to get our asses to work at 8am on Tuesday and even open at 7am on wednesday with a kick ass bloody mary bar! I have liquor reps coming in to give away novelty stuff like absolut fanny packs, jameson cooling towels, tshirts, stuff like that. Were gonna have lots of drink specials, special shirts made up to sell, and i am OVERstaffing so there wont be any wating on the good stuff.. I know you riders will be parched 😉
I guess this is a good time to ask….
What is it I can do to make your stay in ames as fun and easy as possible??
Hopefully we see ya’ll there!!

oh, btw… since i do all the beer orders, we have a pretty decent selection 🙂
https://www.beermenus.com/places/52814-corner-pocket

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014