Transfer details now available!

I want to go back to RAGBRAI!

I’ve missed the last two RAGBRIAs, but I am determined to get back in 2018.
Any thoughts on what part of the state next year’s ride will cover? I’m thinking it’s time for another ride through Des Moines.

22 Replies

Luv 2 Ski, August 29, 2017 at 4:31 pm

My son had the time of his life on his second RAGBRAI and he is trying to get a group of his friends to go. We will both be back in 2018. We have continued to cycle with new groups we have become acquainted with. I think that has helped both of us with the RAGBRAI withdraw. Just this past Sunday I did an 84 mile out and back ride that stopped at 6 breweries on the return trip. We started out with 15 riding the whole distance, and we picked up others along the way who opted for shorter distances. Probably had 30 or so by the time we got back to the start/end Brewery. I normally do not drink alcohol during the day on RAGBRAI but after Sunday I may alter that some next year. I only had 2 beers and one 12 year old Irish Whiskey along the way but the hanging out off the bike was fun just like at RAGBRAI. I got an ever so slight feel of RAGBRAI. It did make for a much longer day out on the road though.

I have also recruited 3 new riders for our RAGBRAI team through this new group of friends. We shall see if they come through and go. My bet is 1 out of the 3 will actually commit.

Luv 2 Ski, August 29, 2017 at 4:39 pm

To answer the first question, my bet is the route will be the middle of the state.

Ed Kanitra, August 30, 2017 at 6:57 am

Nothing against Perry but I was thinking of Pella when I said it was the prettiest city in Iowa.

Evin Thompson, August 30, 2017 at 5:45 pm

If you would like to try and get a feel for Iowa sitting in your current location and experience RAGBRAI and Iowa, I would recommend reading “The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Ked, A Memoir,” by Bill Bryson. In particular Chapter 10.

Bill Bryson, most known for his book a “Walk in the Woods,” is a native of Iowa and writes a fantastic account of growing up in Des Moines and visits throughout the state. Chapter 10 recounts seeing his grandparents in Winfield, IA. A particular good quote from the book, “God, but Iowans are happy souls.”

This book was a perfect way for me to get through the post RAGBRAI doldrums. As a native of Des Moines and Iowa that has not lived there for 40 years, it was an excellent refreshing book.

cyduke, August 30, 2017 at 8:43 pm

Nice! Glacial Drumlin is a great trail. I haven’t taken it all the way to Milwaukee yet. If you like beer, Tyranena Brewing is in Lake Mills close to the trail. Have fun.

Ken Reed, August 31, 2017 at 10:46 am

Cyduke: Thanks, we haven’t gone all the way to Milwaukee yet either. We usually make it to Pauwakee Lake and turn around. I think the trail comes out near Miller Park. That might be a goal for next week. Beers will be had by the truckload. :)

Jerry Lang, September 1, 2017 at 11:25 am

Finished my 30th RAGBRAI – the last one was my favorite!
I’m at a school in Oklahoma. We are selling an activity bus that would be perfect for turning into a bike bus. It’s a 1990 Chevy big block gas engine, with 45,000 actual miles (we didn’t go on a lot of activities). If I had room, I would buy it. Anyone interested?

Viewing 7 replies - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI