The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

IA Beer Bus and Craft Beer Tent denied licenses on Day 1

Pottawattamie County has (as of June 27th) denied the licenses for the two Iowa Craft Beer Tent locations along the route. Locations were to be between Minden and Avoca, and outside of Marne. They have denied the Beer Bus as well per their response to Facebook questions.

The reasoning is “Potential safety and sanitation issues”. IA Craft Beer Tent says they have agreed to have port a potties (as always) to solve the sanitation issue but they are unsure how to solve the safety “issue”.

This frustrates me as a rider as these are some of the most fun stops on the route and I may be mistaken but I always thought was a very in control smart group of riders enjoying a drink in a shaded acreage.

39 Replies

LawnchairMan, July 6, 2019 at 6:21 pm

I agree with Miss C. Last year when Monona county confined sales to towns I didn’t stop until Charter Oak. That is in Crawford county. I don’t drink beer, so the Iowa Craft Beer limitations don’t affect me. The principal of unreasonable restrictions for vendors, though, still upsets me. I will check the maps and see if I can avoid spending in Pottawattamie county (excepting Council Bluffs). I think that means not stopping until Marnie, but that is doable. Iowa counties need to know that they could be killing the golden goose. I will watch for further developments.

Aaron Williams, July 7, 2019 at 9:35 pm

We will have plenty of beer for you when you get to Marne 13 Days till we see every one can’t wait

“Bicycle Bill”, July 8, 2019 at 1:04 am

Pottawatomie County?

Check this out …. it’s only about 40 years old, but perhaps it still holds true around that area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIIVjj8L3a0

-“BB”-

Mark Hartung, July 8, 2019 at 6:57 am

I’ll pass…Pot county says it’s about safety…but we all know it’s about the money. Don’t tell me having a beer in a town is safer than at a craft beer tent. Getting money is the Board of Supervisors motivation. Too bad

Mark Hartung, July 8, 2019 at 6:58 am

Kevin Remillard, July 8, 2019 at 7:16 am

Marilyn Jo Drake made the motion. Such an interesting phenomena that out of touch administrators make decisions they are, most probably, out of touch with.

https://www.nonpareilonline.com/news/local/drake-and-wichman-elected-to-pott-county-board-i-m/article_83cde604-a644-11e6-8807-d3b0182ba6b3.html

garywilk, July 8, 2019 at 11:58 am

I tried to have a beer in a few of the local bars later on and unless you like rubbing sweating bodies together with total smelling strangers, it is even hard to get to the bar to order. They need to keep options open. I am sure the local bars and stands will sell plenty. Not sure if the organizers are even taking these things into consideration. Sometimes there are way too many open beer lines and other times, you wait 15 minutes in line. I do spread my money around but I know some riders end up dropping a lot of it there but they do have some good beers or at least they did in the past. Please keep options open and list the real reason it is/was denied.

nstill, July 8, 2019 at 12:24 pm

I’m not a big drinker on RAGBRAI but I stopped at the Craft Beer Tent with some friends I met up with. It was delightful! I ended up stopping several more times afterwards. The atmosphere and locations are so much nicer than the overcrowded, unshaded town stops with the same five songs blaring and the same mass market beer. The towns are much larger safety hazards, in my opinion, than some of the on route vendors. I agree that this decision is shortsighted and out of touch.

LawnchairMan, July 8, 2019 at 2:40 pm

Could anyone explain the difference? I see from another posting that there will be pies sold at the same spot that Mr Pork Chop will be. This will be between Neola and Minden. How is that a safer spot than the Craft Beer Tent setup?

Why can’t the Beer Tent set up at the same place? I don’t drink, but I would think beer and chops would go together.

This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  LawnchairMan.

stuckinmizzou, July 8, 2019 at 2:47 pm

Lawnchair Man – you are right – beer and chops do go together! The Iowa Beer Bus is usually set up at the same place as Mr. Pork Chop but won’t be on Sunday because of the Pott County decision (unless Pott County changes their denial :)).

R-Daryl Daryl, July 8, 2019 at 5:29 pm

Memories from 2013 . . . . . . . . .

R-Daryl Daryl, July 8, 2019 at 5:32 pm

Memories

This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  R-Daryl Daryl.

R-Daryl Daryl, July 8, 2019 at 5:41 pm

https://i.imgur.com/IynJPLN.jpg

Sorry to post a link – having issues with the image attachment function

This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  R-Daryl Daryl.

tdubya500, July 8, 2019 at 7:36 pm

One of the pot county supervisors answered on the Facebook thread that he was working on it and had good news to come

jay williams, July 9, 2019 at 6:21 pm

They meet every Tuesday, so I hope they discussed this again.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014