I’m almost 100 percent sure RAGBRAI will get cancelled

I wouldn’t be surprised if it does…what are you going to do in place of RAGBRAI? It would be cool to go from the starting point in Iowa’s Ride (it’ll get cancelled) and go all the way to the west coast…hmmmmmm, many states over 2 weeks?? Anyone down to do this??

71 Replies

Jboz, April 2, 2020 at 8:21 am

Based on research that I’m following closely, I am of the opinion that the curve will have bottomed out by mid summer. While the powers that be might still be inclined to cancel large gatherings like RAGBRAI, I suspect the panic portion will be over by then. So I’m still planning on riding somewhere that last week in July since I already have that week off. Probably a self-made loop route and either camping or budget hotels. Maybe Iowa…maybe another state.

As far as trying to read the tea leaves on whether RAGBRAI will happen, MLB will probably be a good proxy to watch. They hav much bigger $$$ at stake, and they are investing far more resources into the detailed analysis of the risk/reward tradeoff. If MLB reopens baseball by mid June (and that totally remains to be seen), then RAGBRAI will likely happen.

Like others here I’m watching closely. But unlike many commenting in this forum, including the OP, I’m not locking into any certainty at this point. Others are saying 50/50, and while I don’t want to speculate or set odds, that sounds about right. I will trust that the decision path will be clearer for RAGBRAI organizers (and MLB for that matter) about 4 to 6 weeks from now. But in the meantime, getting (solo) training miles in is my contingency plan…I can see no downside to that. I’m getting in 25 miles today as a matter of fact.

PS, a good site to monitor: https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

Be safe everybody.

mootsman, April 2, 2020 at 9:21 am

Jboz: Couldn’t agree more. Odds are useless.

I do like the first day of Iowa’s Ride with The Field of Dreams loop. I thought about riding that and riding back to the start after completing the loop.

This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by mootsman.

John Richardson, April 2, 2020 at 9:46 am

I’m trying to remain positive, but if our rides are cancelled and you’re like me and have cycling in your DNA, It’ll just be a matter of finding another way of getting our cycling fix in.

Jboz, April 2, 2020 at 10:26 am

I’m trying to remain positive, but if our rides are cancelled and you’re like me and have cycling in your DNA, It’ll just be a matter of finding another way of getting our cycling fix in.

I love RAGBRAI, but it’s nowhere near the only way to spend a fun week on a bike.

Plan A: RAGBRAI: Beer, food, music, camaraderie and miles on the bike…and having a damn good time.

Plan B: A small, informal group of riding friends (less than 8 to 10) doing a makeshift route: Also beer, food, music, camaraderie and miles on the bike…just in a different form. And also having a damn good time.

jeffreydennis, April 2, 2020 at 11:17 am

If Wimbledon is any indication..

SFC JKL 2, April 2, 2020 at 10:11 pm

I was supposed to have landed in Paris this morning and would have been at the finish of Paris-Roubaix next week. I was able to push that trip back to the fall. If Ragbrai gets cancelled, I’ll have two weeks of riding around the house (or somewhere else) since that vacation is locked in. Hopefully cooler heads will prevail because we should be out of this mess by then.

mcpartla, April 3, 2020 at 5:21 am

UPMC Pittsburgh announced a vaccine to cure the Corona virus and as soon as the testing is complete they can provide the massive doses needed. Say this happens within two months and not the usual 12-18 months to roll this out everywhere would you still want to ride Ragbrai in July and roll the dice that everyone you come in contact with is also protected and you might pick up the virus and carry it to someone? If yes then I suggest reading one of the stories about the experiences of E/R doctors right now dealing with the infected people flooding our emergency rooms.

cyduke, April 3, 2020 at 8:57 am

SFC JKL, I was supposed to have landed in Brussels yesterday to ride the Tour of Flanders sportiv tomorrow, and then hang out in the area to watch Flanders, and then Roubaix. Nope.

Jboz, April 3, 2020 at 10:53 am

I think everyone is craving getting back to “normal”. I know I am. The green light to go back to our regularly scheduled lives will come in the form of a combo of the curve bottoming out, effective treatments available, and promise on the vaccine. We will get there…just a question of when. I’m hopeful. And I’m getting in my miles regardless.

Mike Howe, April 3, 2020 at 11:22 am

Is it a vaccine or a cure? They are two different things. Either way, we couldnt handle getting toilet paper in a orderly fashion, I cant imagine how big of a cluster #$%^ it would be to try to obtain a vaccine or a cure.

Amanda, April 3, 2020 at 11:34 am

I have been furloughed 25% at my job, so I will have 2 extra hours to ride after work. That is good. Money wise, not as good. LOL

Uncle Kraig, April 3, 2020 at 1:09 pm

No full route announcement, not a single overnight town has a website up and running let alone a simple FB page that can be created in 3 minutes, the news is worse every day. The number of cases grows every day. The body count grows every day. Suffice it to say, the indicators are not good that we will be in Le Mars on July 18th 🙁 Stay safe my friends.

John Richardson, April 3, 2020 at 4:38 pm

The Nebraska,and Kansas state rides have been cancelled. They are in early June but, It’s not looking good for RAGBRAI.

Steve Medanic, April 3, 2020 at 5:01 pm

There is no doubt in my mind that this years RAGBRAI will be cancelled. There is always next year.

bigbrad2008, April 3, 2020 at 6:47 pm

The chance it will be cancelled is 66.23%. That number has a 3.24% margin of error.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015