PART OF THE USA TODAY NETWORK

I'm missing Orlando's immensely

I’ve been riding some of these trails for decades. I even used to live in Pinewood Apartments, right across Park from “Valley Drive Pub”.
Then Orlando’s bought the place and I thought that was great, because their place up on University (I still live in the Drake area) was pretty darn small.
Orlando’s was a regular stop as I often ride to Cumming and back from the Drake area after work. I’d always have a beer and sometimes pizza or cavatelli. For years and years, I’ve been stopping there.

So Orlando’s has been a great place, great location for me. And I loved most of the staff that I’d encounter (Wendy of course would be my main squeeze).
When I heard Pat was closing the place, I wondered who would buy it. I hoped for the best, and instead I got the worst.

Y’all have seen the news – mogul Gerelman bought it and will open the EIGHTH JETHROS BBQ. So, this will be another sports bar, with BBQ as it’s main food item. Sounds like the building will be huge, and I won’t be surprised – there’s a lot of room to expand right on that corner, clear up to the convenience store.
Just what we needed, another sports bar, and BBQ on top, jeesh.
And it’s going to have a “Bigfoot” theme. WTF? Bigfoot?
Oh, guess who owns the new Chicken place on the trail in Orilla. Yup, Gerelman.

So, I’ll get over it. I’m sure I’ll stop there when it opens. But I’m going to sit in the corner, frowning & scowling while sipping on my beer. Leave me alone.

Man, I’m missing Orlando’s.

6 Replies

Sandaltan ., August 8, 2019 at 10:05 pm

Us too, missing Pat and his pizza, especially when he used to offer the veggie with some of the produce from his little garden in the back. https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/entertainment/dining/2019/08/07/jethros-bbq-opening-former-orlondos-space-bigfoot-park-avenue-bike-trail-restaurant-drinks-bar/1949178001/

RIDE RIGHT

Sandaltan ., August 8, 2019 at 10:09 pm

BTW, we have seen Bigfoot along the Raccoon River Valley Trail. Last 4th of July we saw him wearing an Uncle Sam costume, white beard and red, white & blue top hat. He always waves but never wants to talk.

RIDE RIGHT

Brian, August 9, 2019 at 8:22 am

I’ll reserve judgment until the new place opens, but the pizza and “crack salad” will be missed. The building… not so much.

It will be interesting to see what the non BBQ food theme will be. It would be nice to see a pizza option and a cool nod to Pat would be to offer the orlondo’s salads. There will need to be something other than large portions bbq to get cyclists to stop for dinner on a return trip from Cumming/Martensdale. Maybe Bigfoot is a reference to his Bigfoot Bacon and Brew in Altoona?

FYI, I think the Chicken in Orilla is owned by Full Court Press, and I’m pretty sure Gerleman is not involved with that partnership.

Brady Bisgard, August 9, 2019 at 10:44 am

I’ll reserve judgment until the new place opens, but the pizza and “crack salad” will be missed. The building… not so much.

It will be interesting to see what the non BBQ food theme will be. It would be nice to see a pizza option and a cool nod to Pat would be to offer the orlondo’s salads. There will need to be something other than large portions bbq to get cyclists to stop for dinner on a return trip from Cumming/Martensdale. Maybe Bigfoot is a reference to his Bigfoot Bacon and Brew in Altoona?

FYI, I think the Chicken in Orilla is owned by Full Court Press, and I’m pretty sure Gerleman is not involved with that partnership.

I was going to say I don’t think that Full Court Press is involved with the Jethros owner one bit.

I have nothing against the Jethros owner I just am sick of them all being the same semi poor quality BBQ around the metro. That being said I hope its a nice rooftop spot with good beer and if it has decent quality food I will accept it.

Orlondos was such a dump it will be nice to have a rooftop area there. But I’m sure the food won’t be as good.

Sandaltan ., August 9, 2019 at 3:16 pm

Some friends were visiting from Florida prior to their first RAGBRAI and we all biked to Orlandos for beer and a pizza … our friend Regis said looking at the crowd…”these are my people!”. Ours too.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/picture-gallery/money/business/2019/08/09/orlondos-on-park-iowa-bike-cycling-stops-hot-spots-places-to-eat-on-the-trail/1969507001/

RIDE RIGHT

Jon Bubendorfer, August 9, 2019 at 4:28 pm

Thanks for the correction on Full Court Press, I’ll see if I can edit that post.

And I have to admit, we also lamented the state of the building – but of course, now we know why they wouldn’t put any money into it. I’ve been told today that the building is gutted already and fixin’ to come down – projected to open early next spring.
Ya, I’ll accept it as well – can’t deny rooftop seating might be cool.
But I’ll say it again – Orlando’s had the smaller, old school feel. It will be missed by me.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014