Join us for RAGBRAI Virtually the Best this spring as a tune up or as your big ride!

I'm out of RAGBRAI

I rode 80 miles Sunday and was just about to our campsite but I decided to stop at Cssey’s. It was a long day for me with the wind and I needed a snack. There was a Suburban parked in front of the store and just as I was passing by it gunned into reverse and took me out. Minutes later I woke up in the ambulance and I couldn’t remember anything except my name. I didn’t know how old I was or what day it was OR that I was on RAGBRAI! I was told my helmet was destroyed and that I was lucky. I started to remember things a little better at the hospital in Spirit Lake just in time to hear I was being life flighted to Sioux Falls SD. After some more scanning my brain was bruised but not bleeding. They kept me overnight for observation and scanned again this morning to clear me to go home. I just got home to Mason City. I’m waiting for my club to show up with my bike and gear Wednesday. I am pretty beat up. I can barely get around. What a shame…I don’t even know the condition of my bike yet. I must have laid there awhile because I’m covered in mosquito bites.

27 Replies

“Bicycle Bill”, July 22, 2014 at 1:01 am

That certainly sucks.  It may be trite, but there’s always next year.
Best of luck to you, and a quick recovery.

Any coverage of the crash in any of the papers?  What became of the driver of the Suburban?

-“BB”-

Michrider !!!, July 22, 2014 at 5:15 am

MRW, sorry to hear of your crash! Hope you’re feeling better soon!!!

mrwonderful, July 22, 2014 at 12:17 pm

I don’t think anyone knows about it. For some reason I thought it would be news worthy but my wife said it isn’t unless I died. Oh well. I don’t know anything about the driver, I also haven’t talked to my club. I am going to make some phone calls today. I can barely move today. Even Oxycodone barely helps.

SFC JKL 2, July 22, 2014 at 12:33 pm

That sucks. Hopefully they are just waiting for you to recover before asking you questions. I know I would have several…

mrwonderful, July 22, 2014 at 12:42 pm

][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/FT62WSO.jpg[/IMG][/URL]” alt=”” />

Tucker, July 22, 2014 at 2:17 pm

The story about the drunk lady hitting two pedestrians got top billing that day.

http://www.exploreokoboji.com/news/7-21-2014/car-vs-pedestrian-collision-in-west-okoboji-injures-two-men/

Everything else got lumped into a general story.

http://www.exploreokoboji.com/news/7-21-2014/ragbrai-generates-heavy-traffic-and-numerous-ambulance-calls/

Glad to hear that you are OK. Feel tree to come back to Boji and try again (For a good time, not another accident)

I was going to say I hope this is the worst that happens, this year, but I just heard about the Medical issue near Grettinger. May all go well from here on. Tomorrow is another day.

mrwonderful, July 22, 2014 at 3:41 pm

I just contacted Arnolds Park police and an accident report was written up along with witness statements, thank goodness. They are mailing me a copy. I talked to my club and my bike is ok.

All the preparation and planning down the drain.

Michrider !!!, July 25, 2014 at 6:57 pm

Mr W., hope your doing well! I’ll see you in Iowa in 2015!!!

mrwonderful, July 26, 2014 at 9:38 am

Thank you. I’m still moving pretty slow but I’m off the painkillers that made me sick. I could finally bring myself to cut my wristband off this morning.

When does the countdown start?

“Bicycle Bill”, July 26, 2014 at 12:29 pm

mrwonderful asked:  When does the countdown start?

Right now!!

As of 12:30 PM CDT today (7/26/2014), there are 358 days, 17 hours, and 30 minutes to the start of RAGBRAI XLIII (using 6:00 AM CDT on the morning on 7/19/15 as the “official” starting time).

-“BB”-

jeffreydennis, July 27, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Get better, try to stay positive

SteveS, July 28, 2014 at 9:29 am

I was in the ER when you came through…glad to hear you are ok!

I got taken out in the last sprinkler a mile before town–bars tangled and down we went, she got up, didn’t say a word and rode away. Me: separated collarbone, and broken pelvis.

Brenn, July 29, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Sorry to hear about your disappointment, MW, but glad it wasn’t worse. Also glad you were wearing a helmet. That could have easily happened to someone riding around town without a helmet. In the safety class given to new riders during the expo, the instructor explained his dismay in seeing riders who wear helmets during the ride take them off when riding around town. He assured us the pavement was just as hard in town as out on the route.

SS, hard to imagine her getting up and riding off without a word.

Hope you both heal up soon.

KenH, July 29, 2014 at 3:42 pm

You have my sincerest sympathy. Something vaguely similar happened to me on Easter Saturday in 2010. I was turning into my neighborhood (my wife tells me based on things I told her shortly afterwards) and I woke up hours later in a hospital bed with four broken ribs, a punctured lung, bruised (at least) tail bone and the Mother Of All Concussions which prevents me from remembering any of the details even to this day. The helmet I was wearing may have saved me from death, it almost certainly saved me from becoming a vegetable. It took a good while but I recovered completely and I hope the same for you. Both of you. And all the others who went down last week.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLII – 2014’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI