Registration deadline extended to April 15 for weeklong rider, weeklong non-rider, and vehicles passes!

I'm out of RAGBRAI

I rode 80 miles Sunday and was just about to our campsite but I decided to stop at Cssey’s. It was a long day for me with the wind and I needed a snack. There was a Suburban parked in front of the store and just as I was passing by it gunned into reverse and took me out. Minutes later I woke up in the ambulance and I couldn’t remember anything except my name. I didn’t know how old I was or what day it was OR that I was on RAGBRAI! I was told my helmet was destroyed and that I was lucky. I started to remember things a little better at the hospital in Spirit Lake just in time to hear I was being life flighted to Sioux Falls SD. After some more scanning my brain was bruised but not bleeding. They kept me overnight for observation and scanned again this morning to clear me to go home. I just got home to Mason City. I’m waiting for my club to show up with my bike and gear Wednesday. I am pretty beat up. I can barely get around. What a shame…I don’t even know the condition of my bike yet. I must have laid there awhile because I’m covered in mosquito bites.

27 Replies

mrwonderful, July 30, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Thanks Ken! Though I’m still in pain but back to work and I feel more like myself today. I was sorry to hear of all the incidents and injuries of others and I wish everyone well.

Pdiddly, July 30, 2014 at 8:22 pm

Sorry to hear of the trouble MrW. It sounds like you will be riding again. And SteveS, does this mean you won’t be riding in the Marin Century this weekend? Crap, sorry to hear of the incident. I guess we don’t all get through unscathed. I’ll wear my Corn Camo Jersey for ya!

SteveS, July 31, 2014 at 9:28 am

Pdiddly- no marin century for me! I’m crutch bound for at least 6 weeks! Shoulder is coming along nicely, but the pelvis is a BITCH

I’m thinking maybe, just maybe i can do the sept tahoe grand fondo…that’s a stretch, but we’ll see.

TimD, July 31, 2014 at 12:46 pm

I was in the ER same time as you. Medicine change by doctor dehydrated me on Sunday after 50 miles. Had to take Monday off, stopped taking the medicine, and finished the rest of it. Rode with my RAGBRAI and hospital wristband all week.

So glad you are doing okay.

SteveS, August 1, 2014 at 9:34 am

Boy, maybe next year we need a Team ER! Sounds like the three of us were in ER at same time…I know there was one more separated clavical from Omaha in Spirit Lake as well

mrwonderful, August 1, 2014 at 10:29 am

Funny…Team ER. Before I left for RAGBRAI my bike mechanic said he wouldn’t do RAGBRAI because it was too dangerous. I just laughed at him. I’m trying to avoid him now. Hopefully he didn’t see me on the news.

I hope to get on my bike again soon. I have to buy a helmet though. I can’t believe how gun shy I am now.

“Bicycle Bill”, August 1, 2014 at 12:40 pm

There ain’t a bike that can’t be rode or a cyclist who can’t be throwed — or something like that.

Get back up on that hoss just as soon as you can, pardner, and ride!!

-“BB”-

“Bicycle Bill”, August 1, 2014 at 12:42 pm

“There ain’t a bike that can’t be rode or a cyclist who can’t be throwed”
— or something like that.

Get back up on that hoss just as soon as you can, pardner, and ride!!

-“BB”-

SteveS, August 1, 2014 at 8:39 pm

I now actually agree- ragbrai is the most dangerous cycling event i’ve been to- even more so than Bike Polo tournaments.

way too many people that can’t hold a line to save themselves, can’t ride up a 20 foot incline, are riding drunk…

That said, i’ll probably go back to finish it. Way way too many nice people in Iowa and on the roads.

Kerry kohl, August 3, 2014 at 9:22 am

I think given the circumstances we as the Ragbrai family should as a example of our solidarity offer to chip in and buy MWF a new helmet. Is anyone with me on this? MWF, please leave an email to contact you. This could have happened to anyone of us.

mrwonderful, August 3, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Thank you for the thought, it was very kind. I am meeting with an attorney from my bike club tomorrow after work about the incident. Hopefully everything will be taken care of eventually. In the meantime I dug out my old helmet that doesn’t fit well and made some adjustments to it to fit a little better. I am building the nerve to ride right now. I’m still in pain but I think I can manage a leisurely ride.

Here’s my email anyway:
gcturns@yahoo.com

Dave

Sandaltan ., August 3, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Good to read you are healing and are nearly ready to ride MRW. The fall is my favorite time to ride. We arrived on the scene of your accident at Casey’s just in time for the police to block traffic both ways so that you and your ambulance could get out on US 71. The Little Stoker saw the Mexican restaurant at the point we were stopped and rolled into the parking lot. She looked inside and saw three empty tables and thought it would be a good place for dinner, no crowd yet, hopefully fast service and probably cold beer. The beer was cold, food was mediocre and despite being early the service was horrible. We were there about an hour and half, the tables on both sides of us arrived, were served, ate and left while we sat. On the plus side it was the only bum meal of our nine day odyssey.

RIDE RIGHT and be careful out there.

Viewing 12 replies - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLII – 2014’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI