Indianola Camping

What is the deal with Indianola requiring a two part application and processing fee for camping in the city?

29 Replies

LawnchairMan, May 24, 2019 at 7:48 pm

Hey Uncle Kraig,

How did you learn where the main campground will be in Indianola? I don’t see it on their webpage. Did you go to their planning meetings or something? Just curious.

So the advantage of the paid campground is just showers and bathrooms. Won’t there be shower trucks and porta-potties in the main camp? If not it could get ugly!

Indianola needs to give us the whole scoop.
What facilities will be in the main camp?
Where are the paid campgrounds?
How do we get there. . .and back?
Are the showers in the paid camps free or coin-op?
How many campers per camp site?
How many campers per shower / pottie?
Are there fire rings? with wood?

At this point there is no motive for using a paid campground.

Uncle Kraig, May 24, 2019 at 8:38 pm

The small local Indianola paper has had a few articles with some of the details of the planning committees, among other things like the local route, the entertainment venue, etc, the campground was listed in one of those articles a couple weeks back.

LawnchairMan, May 24, 2019 at 8:51 pm

Thanks UK! Now I can sleep tonight.

jwsknk, May 26, 2019 at 9:00 pm

wording has been updated on the website: Riders that do not reserve campground space prior to arriving in Indianola will be placed in a campground area with no services. You will be required to use showers in another location for a fee. We hope you enjoy your evening with us!

so, does this mean a group that registers and pays $5 all shower free? And if you are in the main campground you pay for a shower so mn replace like it’s been for a long time. And the bathroom thing? Does that mean indoor accommodations? There had better be kybos at all camping sites.

Uncle Kraig, May 27, 2019 at 1:37 pm

I was out of town for the weekend and just got back. Anyone get any answers on this issue yet? I know there were a few notes sent to various Indianola groups, just wondering if anyone got the answer to this question yet:

Do RAGBRAI riders need to pre-register online with Indianola and pay $5 to camp in the general/main campgrounds in Indianola?

sho531, May 27, 2019 at 1:48 pm

Uncle Kraig. I haven’t seen a clear answer. The only response I got was that they were updating the website.

hnschipper, May 27, 2019 at 11:21 pm

No one responded to my question on the Indianola RAGBRAI Facebook page.

Scott Garner, May 28, 2019 at 2:49 pm

To offer some clarification on the RAGBRAI campgrounds in Indianola, the Campground Housing application was intended to give groups a way to get placed with a campground spot for their group in advance, rather than search for a spot once the support for that group gets to town. Some groups like to arrange for their campground space ahead of time. The intent was not to charge everyone for camping in the official campgrounds in Indianola, just a fee for help in finding a spot ahead of time.

The committee has decided to remove the Campground Housing application option. No fee will be charged for any registered group or individual looking to camp in the RAGBRAI campgrounds in Indianola. There will be plenty of camping space available. Sorry for the confusion.

hnschipper, May 28, 2019 at 4:31 pm

Thanks for the explanation, Scott.

jwsknk, May 28, 2019 at 10:19 pm

Thanks. That clears things up for this year. But I can now see towns doing this in the future for charters/teams/clubs contacting the committes about space for groups looking outside the main campsite. Groups of 10 up to Pork Belly size. Like the fee for private housing in volunteer homes for singles and small groups.

LawnchairMan, May 29, 2019 at 8:21 am

I’m still a bit confused. How were they going to provide showers and bathrooms? It sounded like they had brick and mortar buildings. I don’t consider a porta-pottie a bathroom.

Tricia Martin, May 29, 2019 at 11:46 am

questions can be directed to: nolacampgrounds2019@gmail.com

hnschipper, May 29, 2019 at 12:27 pm

Would it be possible to answer the questions here so we can all see the answers?

Tricia Martin, May 29, 2019 at 4:20 pm

I am not on the committee and don’t have the answers – simply passing along the email address to those who wish to reach out.

Viewing 14 replies - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015