Injuries on the ride – 2019

Are there any available statistics on injuries along the way?

7 Replies

Wendy Fowler, July 29, 2019 at 1:24 pm

I don’t see how there could be, it’d be a HIPAA violation. One of our team members was pushed into the cones in Indianola by another cyclist. She saw two EMTs before stopping for an ER visit 40 miles down the road (broken elbow, out the rest of the wee). She could be counted as two injuries if they counted treatment encounters, ya know?

reedkennethia, July 29, 2019 at 1:26 pm

There were a ton of people who went down on Tuesday from what I saw. Some of those roads were brutal.

KenH, July 30, 2019 at 9:22 am

Statistics are depersonalized summaries of information. I don’t believe they can violate HIPAA since there is no way to tie them back to individuals. We do not get injury statistics for this ride however and I am sure that is because the Registers lawyers do not want it released. I wish we lived in a world where this information could be released without putting the Register in legal jeopardy. If we knew what things riders do or what road conditions we face that causes accidents then we would be better prepared to prevent them.

Wendy Fowler, July 31, 2019 at 10:41 am

That’s true, I just can’t imagine the charting involved to keep accurate yet depersonalized records. I have no first hand account of how the first aid workers documented treatment but as a healthcare worker, I can’t see an easy way to do it in the chaos of RAGBRAI.

On another note, I appreciate your input on the forums, KenH and though I’m not sure I could ID you in person, I wondered if we’d cross paths on the ride. Thanks for being generous with your insight, us newbies appreciate it.

bugs11, July 31, 2019 at 11:00 am

CARE Ambulance provided EMS coverage for the ride. Every time they provided services, emergency or otherwise, a form of some sort was filled out. I don’t know how billing works for CARE, but I’m sure CARE wants to get paid every time they provide services. I’d like to think that CARE supplies RAGBRAI officials with a summary of services; types (trauma vs. medical), severity, location, etc. Then the RAGBRAI officials review and discuss the summary report in order to plan and implement methods to make the next years ride safer.

hnschipper, July 31, 2019 at 11:24 am

My friend was one who had the benefit of an ambulance ride years ago after she went down and broke her arm. The bill went through her insurance, and then she paid her share of the ride. While RAGBRAI may contract with the ambulance service to be there (and I have no idea what kind of payments may happen between RAGBRAI and CARE), if you have to be transported by ambulance, you will be billed for it.

Jboz, July 31, 2019 at 7:18 pm

I got a ride in an ambulance this year, but it was in the evening in Winterset after the ride. Was feeling nauseous, then completely blacked out and hit the ground apparently hard. ER ran multiple tests, and turned out it was severe dehydration…which is strange because I thought I was hydrating properly. They think I just got behind the curve on Sunday, then Monday got me. Bounced back fine though after a bag of fluids. Haven’t seen the bill for the ER visit or my special limo ride yet…ugh!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015