Registration deadline extended to April 15 for weeklong rider, weeklong non-rider, and vehicles passes!

Iowa and Missouri River Flooding

For those of us who live in far away states and countries, can someone please give us an update on the flooding from the Missouri River.  Will this have any impact on this year’s ride?  Thanks.

11 Replies

Tony, June 1, 2011 at 8:23 pm

I live in Davenport. We had the the 6th highest flood on record. Credit Island ,where the main camp ground will be at, was totally under water. It is still closed to the public. All the river front property was under. The Mississippi has since gone back into its banks. It is under flood stage, but still a bit high. Davenport has done an excellent job cleaning the city. In particular the dip site and Credit Island. It all will be ready for RAGBRAI. Most of the rivers and streams in Iowa are below flood stage. Some are at normal levels. I see no impact on the ride from flooding. I’ve heard no flooding issues mentioned during committee meetings for any of the towns. Some bike trails in our area have sand and yuck from the flooding. But the park services have been working on getting them cleaned up. Again I see these all cleaned up way before the ride. There is no predictions for further river cresting at this time. to monitor river level go to the following link.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ia/nwis/rt

Ragbrai Nation, June 1, 2011 at 9:11 pm

The river is expected to crest 1 ft. over flood stage Monday at Omaha. I don’t know what the effect of the Missouri River flooding in eastern Montana will have downstream but all of this is a long ways off from ragbrai week. 

knees36, June 1, 2011 at 10:37 pm

deantheo said: For those of us who live in far away states and countries, can someone please give us an update on the flooding from the Missouri River.  Will this have any impact on this year’s ride?  Thanks.

Well, we might not have to go clear to the Missouri River to dunk our tires, but  I’d be very surprised if the river will flood as far from the river as Glenwood.  The town sits a little higher than the bottom land of the Missouri and there’s thousands of acres of that flat bottom from Sioux City to the state of Missouri for the water to spread out over.  In addition, Glenwood sits on the very edge of the loess hills with a lot of the homes in the hills and businesses down lower where it’s flatter.  Roads coming into Glenwood could concievably (sp) be affected but it would take lots and lots of water for it to swamp I-29.  Lastly, our ride takes us immediately into the Loess Hills rather than on a low land route. The last time the Missouri flooded to this extent was in the 1950’s,  I believe, and the state has taken precautions with levees, etc., to prevent a recurrence.  I think we’ll be just fine.  Cheers.  

John L, June 2, 2011 at 3:44 am

And the ride is 7 weeks away. All should be well by then.

jwsknk, June 2, 2011 at 6:55 am

I’s worry if it was a Sioux City start, Dakota Dunes, across from SC in S. Dakoya is evpecting flooding there to last 6-8 weks. Council Bluffs is expecting heavy flooding around the airport and probably the trail to the Kerry  ped bridge over the Missouri. If you are flying into Omaha and was planing on that route better check it outas the ride gets closer to make sure its open. But like Knees said, Glenwood should be fine.

benherr, June 2, 2011 at 7:20 am

Whatever flooding occurred or will occur, The towns will do everything possible to “clean it up”. Last year we stayed at ,I believe Manchester, on Friday. Just a few days prior, main street was flooded. But it went down, they cleaned the heck out of it, and you never would have known if you didn’t see the pictures. Which they had up on main street. I am always very impressed with the effort that all the towns, pass-thru and overnite, do to make things look nice and comfortable for us. I thank you Iowa.

ben

Tony, June 2, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I would like to add. It has always amazed me how resilient Iowans have been to adversity. Towns that have been hard hit are cleaned up within a year. The twin twisters that hit Charles City. Parkersburg was leveled by a tornado. Waterloo, Cedar Rapids, and all the towns flooded in 2008. All the towns flooded in 93. as example. The people work together, clean it up and rebuild in short order. Manchester is a prime example of positive community involvement. They didn’t bat an eye. They just fixed it. when you look at other areas of the county that have been effected by disasters. Like Katrina, its been almost 5 years and nothing has been done. It makes you feel glade you live in communities the pull together and get er done. I know when you get to Davenport. You will never know the downtown was under water a couple of months before.

John L, June 2, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Tony, I have to disagree.  Tons has been done post Katrina.  Yes there are areas that are not rebuilt and won’t be because it is not smart to do so.  Yes some areas are not as strong as others and many Louisianans have rebuilt.  I have been to New Orleans 3 times since Katrina and it is thriving.

jwsknk, June 3, 2011 at 7:00 am

Should read as across the river from the airport in Council Bluffs, Epply in Omaha looks to be protected by levees.

flip18436572, June 5, 2011 at 10:08 am

There are towns near glenwood that will be underwater until possibly late August according to what they are telling the residents and businesses near Hamburg, IA.  Yes, I-29 has been shut down in past years south of Glenwood, because of the flooding from the Missouri, and that is not 20 years ago, but less than 5 years ago.  That being said, the interstate and everything should be clear long before RAGBRAI comes to Glenwood.

flavorflav, June 7, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Ragbrai starts in Glenwood, east of the Loess Hills and thus protected from Missouri River flooding west of the Loess Hills. It’s unlikely that any Missouri River flooding will affect the ride.

The greatest impact to riders, sadly, is that they may have a shorter ride to dip their rear tires in the Missouri River.

Riders would have had to bike 11 miles each way from Glenwood to the Missouri River and back (and not avail themselves of the tanker truck in Glenwood with trucked-in Mo River water).

Instead, if the worst-case scenarios hold true and if flooding persists into late July, they will have just a three-mile ride west over the Loess Hills. The river is predicted — again, worst-case — to inundate Pacific Junction and the eight miles between the main channel and the Loess Hills .

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI