Iowa City idea

I have an idea if it hasn’t been thought of already by the RAGBRAI crew, any possible way to have the route go past the Children’s Hospital on our way through town so the kids can get a wave from 15,000+ bike riders? Logistics might be a nightmare but they shut down that area for every home football game so a lot of the same logistics would apply. Or at the very least have some cameras right on the edge of town with big signs telling people to wave to the kids and have a live feed on the stadium board or right into the hospital televisions? Just a thought, I’ve heard T.J. reads the forums so maybe this will put a little bug in his ear.

20 Replies

MadRanger, January 28, 2018 at 11:41 pm

BRILLIANT idea! Also would love to invite any kids or families to join the ride – as they are able – by riding or walking along with us while passing the Children’s Hospital. Perhaps an adjacent, safely separated lane or on a special loop around or near the Hospital – Hawkins Drive? or thru the parking lot for Kinnick Stadium?

Bob Kidd, January 29, 2018 at 6:17 pm

Sounds like a great idea!

jelly0317, January 29, 2018 at 6:41 pm

The Wave at the end of the first quarter is a great new tradition, but I don’t see how it would work on RAGBRAI. It lasts several minutes, and involves 70,000 people. Spread out over hours, and with limited sightlines for the kids, it wouldn’t be the same. Plus, as a previous poster pointed out, there are enough crashes on the ride without everyone looking up and waving while riding in a crowd.

Groeny82, January 30, 2018 at 10:38 am

Realistically everyone would be walking past the hospital so I don’t know if crashes would be a big concern. The early and late riders may be able to ride through. Since it would be an all day parade of bike that would give more patients opportunities to watch, even from their own lower level room if it faces the street, something they can’t do with a football game. And for the kids that are well enough they can actually go outside (weather permitting) and interact with the riders. Also something they don’t get to do at a game. I think it would be a shame if we didn’t at least try. If RAGBRAI, the hospital, and the city think logistics and safety for riders and the kids are too big of a concern then at least we know they discussed it and tried to make something happen.

lm m, January 30, 2018 at 3:10 pm

I think that block we should all dismount and walk our bike in respect for the children.

Viewing 5 replies - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI