Join Us in July - Register Today!

Iowa Mosquitoes

My memory isn’t serving me too well in the Iowa flying nuisance department. Somebody refresh me. What’s the typical mosquito scene like in Iowa in July? (I realize that there are many factors and it can vary a lot from town to town. I’m just trying to get a general sense.)

Thanks,
~ Kevin

9 Replies

Michrider !!!, March 3, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Gypsy Rose said: My memory isn’t serving me too well in the Iowa flying nuisance department. Somebody refresh me. What’s the typical mosquito scene like in Iowa in July? (I realize that there are many factors and it can vary a lot from town to town. I’m just trying to get a general sense.)

Thanks,~ Kevin

Kevin, it depends on how dry a summer it is.  Since the last few years have been dry, there has not been a problem.  However, if Iowa has lots of rain, look out!

jayb, March 3, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I didn’t use any spray last ragbrai.  In fact I think I only sprayed a couple of times all last summer, just when fishing.  If you are near water or forest of course it is bad, but just like anywhere else.  We have vacationed in northern Minnesota and Wisconsin before, that was much much worse!

Gypsy Rose, March 3, 2011 at 3:55 pm

There’s nothing worse than having to choose the interior of the tent (at 110 degrees) when the bugs get so bad that it becomes the preferable option.

~ Kevin

Michrider !!!, March 3, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Gypsy Rose said: There’s nothing worse than having to choose the interior of the tent (at 110 degrees) when the bugs get so bad that it becomes the preferable option.

~ Kevin

Think hot and dry and we’ll do well!!!

John L, March 3, 2011 at 6:35 pm

hot and dry will require more beer….hmmmm….yeh, yeh hot and dry!

Ragbrai Nation, March 3, 2011 at 6:55 pm

I carry a small spray pump of 100% deet in the bike bag. Skeeters can be  particularily bad in shaded areas or during darkness. The deet works very well and contrary to some misinformation it is safe to use in that concentration. Iowa outdoor venturers must also be careful about the deer tick which carries lime disease. Deet works very well against those, too. Sioux City had skeeters really bad at daybreak on Day-1 last year.

jwsknk, March 4, 2011 at 8:10 am

it;s that hour gefore after sunset/sunrise. another reason to sleep in a bit in the am. the pesky little black no-see-um’s (or whatever you call them) have been worse.

FarleyBob, March 4, 2011 at 10:31 am

Last year in Storm Lake I slept outside under the stars at a house by the lake and had no problem with skeeters. I actually through my air mattress right on the driveway next to my buddy’s motorhome. In Waterloo we stayed at a house by a golf course and I mistakenly tried the same thing! I was fighting the skeeters all night long. I slept out on an open porch and actually slept very little. I should have put the damn tent up and had a little protection.

tjdale, March 5, 2011 at 8:03 am

I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland.  We have mosquitoes that can carry small children away!  In fact, if the Eastern Shore where a separate state, the mosquito would surely be our state bird.  By comparison, Iowa dose not have a problem.  Don’t bring those toxic bug sprays.  You will not need them.

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters