Iowa State Patrol – What's the Latest?

I’ve read 3 different things about the ISP and Iowa’s Ride. All could actually be true at the particular time they were reported but maybe someone has more current info:

1) No one from IR has contacted IR yet.
2) Someone from the ISP said they can support both at the same time.
3) Someone from the ISP said they cannot support both at once

Obviously #1 would change with time. Then the person, even TJ’s normal contact, could have said they can support both (#2). But someone higher ranking later could have said no way, we can’t do both at once (#3).

Anyone with more current information?

28 Replies

Sandaltan ., October 27, 2019 at 3:59 pm

How many Iowa Highway Patrol would be required for a ride of say……..700? I have been on rides in several other states with that number and more and can’t remember seeing a significant highway patrol presence. We rode with traffic and obeyed traffic signs. What was nearly always necessary was traffic control leaving each overnight community.

RIDE RIGHT

mootsman, October 27, 2019 at 6:01 pm

RAGBRAI is far bigger of course. One of the posters on another thread reported that the ISP says they have 40-80 officers a day. Not just on the route itself where some intersections have 2-3 at a time plus those that rotate with them (meals, work rules, etc.) but also some at intersections off the route to redirect most traffic to alternate routes.

This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  mootsman.

KenH, October 27, 2019 at 9:02 pm

I don’t think that the number of riders affects how many officers it takes to control traffic on the route each day. Two routes will generally mean twice the number of officers. There could be a lower cutoff for ISP involvement however. I’ve seen rides up to 1500 people in Illinois that had no police help whatsoever. Not local, not county, not state. Who knows how many riders either ride will have this year? It could be that neither will be large enough to warrant help from the ISP. There have been days and moments where I have said to myself, “let’s just call the whole thing off.” What if 8000 of the people who were going to register were to look at this giant mess that TJ has created and think the same thing and actually follow through on it? TJ’s ride could fail or TJ’s ride could kill off RAGBRAI or TJ’s ride could kill off both rides.

Personally, I think the ISP and the Iowa legislature should tell both rides that if they want to run the same week this year then they have to run the same route and use the same towns. I would also tell both that if they want to run the same week every year then they have to use the same route every year and the Register gets to pick the route. Otherwise if they run different weeks they are free to do what they want but the Register gets the last full week of July because they were there first.

mootsman, October 27, 2019 at 9:16 pm

All speculative personal opinion but I was hoping for someone who had heard the latest directly from the ISP.

Anne Lawrie, October 27, 2019 at 10:37 pm

Hi All,

Anne Lawrie from RAGBRAI here. Jumping in with details. I have been in contact with the Iowa State Patrol several times over the past 15 days. We typically don’t sign contract terms until spring for each years ride once we have a good idea of total number of registered riders. Our typical registration surges in March as we near deadline for the lottery. We will follow that same process this year.

mootsman, October 28, 2019 at 7:12 am

Thanks Annie but I was more interested in anything that people heard about the ISP’s commitment to IR as I think they might just say no, ending the conflict with RAGBRAI. I’d assume the ISP already plans on supporting RAGBRAI but the question will be is if they will also support IR at the same time. Maybe the ISP just overrules IR and says no conflict with RAGBRAI.

hnschipper, October 28, 2019 at 7:16 am

IR addresses the ISP issue on their new FAQ page.

Janie Gunn, October 28, 2019 at 7:23 am

@mootsman…sounds like wishful thinking on your part. Iowa’s Ride has a ride director who is busy making plans, working with teams, securing the support of organizations like BikeIowa, etc. What does RAGBRAI have? You’re gonna be disappointed, Hoss. Gannett is managing this like it’s a newspaper.

hnschipper, October 28, 2019 at 7:41 am

From the IR FAQ page:

Have you talked to the Iowa State Patrol?
Yes, we have had conversations with the Iowa State Patrol. They are our friends and help save lives throughout the state of Iowa everyday. They help cyclists and motorists in Iowa safely navigate our roadways along with the fine men and women that wear a badge everyday in the local police and sheriff departments across our state. Out of respect for the Iowa State Patrol, we will not drag them into the conversation, but know that they have NOT said they will not support IOWA’S RIDE, as some people are mentioning. It is only October, so you will have plenty of time to know the full safety team in place before the ride takes place.

mootsman, October 28, 2019 at 8:23 am

Very far from wishful thinking at all if you read the subject of the post. Not hoping they just say no. And yes we already knew at least at one point the ISP said they have not talked to anyone from IR. But subsequent posts on other threads talked about points 2 & 3.

Looking for the latest information from the ISP here, not personal opinions. And the ISP being our friends, thanks for the lecture about the obvious but not really needed.

I doubt anyone will be disappointed by either ride. It would still be cool if IR would be the following week and ride back to the start town. The “Iowa Double Cross”.

I checked the IR FAQ page again also and it still has nothing on the ISP subject.

hnschipper, October 28, 2019 at 8:27 am

I copied and pasted from the IR FAQ page directly above your post.

mootsman, October 28, 2019 at 8:43 am

This is the URL for IR FAQ I checked that is basically blank. Are you looking at a different URL?

https://iowasride.com/faqs/

Not sure what you mean about the IR FAQ above my post. Maybe you’re looking at the RAGBRAI FAQ?

hnschipper, October 28, 2019 at 8:46 am

I copied and pasted directly from this link.

https://iowasride.com/faqs/

Do you not see it upthread?

hnschipper, October 28, 2019 at 8:49 am

Here it is again:

Have you talked to the Iowa State Patrol?
Yes, we have had conversations with the Iowa State Patrol. They are our friends and help save lives throughout the state of Iowa everyday. They help cyclists and motorists in Iowa safely navigate our roadways along with the fine men and women that wear a badge everyday in the local police and sheriff departments across our state. Out of respect for the Iowa State Patrol, we will not drag them into the conversation, but know that they have NOT said they will not support IOWA’S RIDE, as some people are mentioning. It is only October, so you will have plenty of time to know the full safety team in place before the ride takes place.

mootsman, October 28, 2019 at 8:49 am

Janie Gunn became a registered forum member at about 7am today (10/28), so likely someone from IR trying to derail RAGBRAI I’d guess. But a fake identity in any case.

Maybe a fan of actress Anna (Annie) Gunn from Breaking Bad??

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015