Iowa’s Ride FAQ Section

Has anybody else noticed that the FAQ section for the Iowa’s Ride seems to be stagnant. It’s supposed to answer all those questions coming in on a regular basis. It still makes reference to the phrase “It is only October” in a couple of places. It’s well into November now and they still don’t have an answer yet on the all important Iowa State Patrol question nor that promised north route.

35 Replies

KenH, November 9, 2019 at 5:50 pm

I am sure that putting on a new and independent bicycle ride across Iowa is proving to be more difficult than TJ imagined. It could be that he is just too busy to update his FAQ. It could be that the rumors of third parties lobbying for a reconciliation are bearing fruit and he doesn’t want to say anything until that all plays out to its conclusion, whatever that may be. It could be that things are going badly for IR. It could be almost anything. To some extent I don’t care, I am committed to RAGBRAI and IR is just a sideshow. To some extent I still respect TJ and all the good work he did while he was RAGBRAI director and I wish him all the success in the world — as long as that success does not come at the expense of RAGBRAI. But is appears that RAGBRAI will do just fine next year, maybe even better than ever. So I am personally happy and just not that interested in the fate of IR.

Logan Foltz, November 9, 2019 at 6:08 pm

As the upstart, IR needs an avalanche of publicity, positive buzz, and marketing to compete with the big kahuna, in addition to the challenges of the logistics of a new ride. That’s what makes the lack of updates over the last few weeks puzzling, if not telling. Initially, there was a lot of hype about the release of the route in November. While that still gives them a few weeks, they haven’t provided any new updates or teasers. TJ hasn’t given any new interviews on radio stations or the JGB podcast. There is still only one charter (BPP) on the IR site. The FAQ hasn’t been updated. In the meantime, RAGBRAI has been regularly reassuring riders with regular updates and seems to be recovering.

All of this is critical because it is pretty transparent that IR was intended to compete with RAGBRAI, and long-term it appears extremely unlikely both rides can succeed during the same week. This is the all-important window for determining which ride comes out on top. If TJ isn’t already negotiating surrender, his strategy looks horrendous.

Mike Howe, November 10, 2019 at 10:03 pm

Odd, that was one of TJ’s reasons for leaving…. not being able to answer all the questions he was receiving. And now here he is not answering questions pertaining to his own ride. When he/they originally announced IR didnt they say they would announce the route in November? I know theres still a couple weeks left but makes me wonder whats going on over there….

Amanda, November 11, 2019 at 6:04 am

Iowa’s Ride will announce their route closer to the end of November. Around the 23rd.

Joseph Schlau, November 11, 2019 at 7:04 am

Iowa’s Ride will announce their route closer to the end of November. Around the 23rd.

What is the source of this information and can you provide a link?

Around the 23rd seems a little vague.

This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  Joseph Schlau.

Kate Perkins, November 11, 2019 at 8:15 am

I ran a bunch of Iowa’s Ride’s webpages through the wayback machine, and although I didn’t do every page, I found nothing that had been updated after Oct 16th. The wayback machine is an internet tool that allows you to see when web pages have been updated & what they looked like in the past.

Amanda, November 11, 2019 at 8:39 am

No link. I emailed them and asked if the route would be announced on my birthday. They said it will be announced the last two weeks of November. Maybe vague but it helps with the excitement of the anticipated announcement. RAGBRAI used to do that before the announcement party. And at the announcement party, they say the route will be announced at 9:00 but it’s usually 9:30. Anticipation is all part of it! 🙂

Joseph Schlau, November 11, 2019 at 9:28 am

Amanda,

Are you already registered for IR or just waiting to see this play out.

Joseph Schlau, November 11, 2019 at 9:41 am

I ran a bunch of Iowa’s Ride’s webpages through the wayback machine, and although I didn’t do every page, I found nothing that had been updated after Oct 16th. The wayback machine is an internet tool that allows you to see when web pages have been updated & what they looked like in the past.

All that talk about honesty and transparency is in sharp contrast to what we are seeing or not seeing.

Amanda, November 11, 2019 at 10:25 am

I am signed up for IR. This would have been my 22nd RAGBRAI. I am not on this forum to cause trouble. FYI. I have many friends that I see on the ride that I met on the forum. I am not going to try to convince anyone which ride to do. It’s up to each of us to go with the ride that your heart tells you to do.

I guess my official title of RAGBRAI Princess is now up for grabs.

Sandaltan ., November 11, 2019 at 12:05 pm

Amanda, you will always be “The Princess”. And a Happy Happy Birthday to you up in snow country, maybe see you at the 10th Street Pub…

RIDE RIGHT

KenH, November 11, 2019 at 12:42 pm

I agree, while a kingdom can have only one king and queen there can be many princesses and Amanda will always be one of them! Besides, she might come back to us one day….

Joseph Schlau, November 11, 2019 at 1:10 pm

Actually I do not look at any information or opinion as causing trouble. Your posting is about the only bit of information that has come out recently from IR.

After an initial flurry of information in the 2 weeks following October 15th I noticed a growing silence from IR. Some have interpreted this as a hopeful sign of reconciliation, others like myself see this as a sign of trouble. What type of trouble is open to speculation.

At this point my team is still debating which way to go. There is no way for me to predict the outcome since there are strong voices pulling in both directions. If they choose IR, then I need to choose whether to follow them or remain in Ragbrai. Although I have been asked for my opinion, I have no vote in the final decision due in 3 weeks.

I have been trying to keep current on the information so when there is a team discussion, I at least have a factual basis for my opinion.

KenH, November 11, 2019 at 3:33 pm

Joseph, I do not envy your position, I hope it all works out well for you and your team.

There have been people who have registered for IR and who have come here to cause as much trouble as they can. Amanda has not been one of them. People need to make their own decisions about the two rides for their own reasons and no one has to answer to anyone else about the matter. It is personal. Once you make a decision please follow Amanda’s example and leave the other folks alone. Be a princess/prince in other words.

Sandaltan ., November 11, 2019 at 3:44 pm

“There have been people who have registered for IR and who have come here to cause as much trouble as they can.” Ken H, can you name those people and cite posts?

RIDE RIGHT

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015