Iowa’s Ride FAQ Section

Has anybody else noticed that the FAQ section for the Iowa’s Ride seems to be stagnant. It’s supposed to answer all those questions coming in on a regular basis. It still makes reference to the phrase “It is only October” in a couple of places. It’s well into November now and they still don’t have an answer yet on the all important Iowa State Patrol question nor that promised north route.

35 Replies

Joseph Schlau, November 11, 2019 at 5:17 pm

There have been people who have registered for IR and who have come here to cause as much trouble as they can. Amanda has not been one of them. People need to make their own decisions about the two rides for their own reasons and no one has to answer to anyone else about the matter. It is personal. Once you make a decision please follow Amanda’s example and leave the other folks alone. Be a princess/prince in other words.

So what exactly do you mean that I should leave other folks alone? I can hardly fill the role as a princess.

This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by  Joseph Schlau.

Jose Medina, November 12, 2019 at 10:39 am

KenH I have been following your posts and you are a true gentleman.I would sometime like to have a beer with you. I am a 30 year Ragbraier and met my wife on Ragbrai. You probably have seen my posts.
All riders need to get along and set an example. No need to get nasty. I am doing Ragbrai but I respect other decisions. I am more concerned about safety.

KenH, November 12, 2019 at 11:21 am

Joseph, I was not singling you out for bad behavior, that comment was directed at everyone. I think that you are just asking questions that interest you and posting information relevant to the situation. Neither you nor Amanda are troublemakers, as far as I can tell. But there have been a few here who have posted in other threads and who have made comments on the Register’s posts on the main page who clearly are here to promote that other ride and who like to taunt anyone who thinks that anyone other than TJ can organize a successful bicycle ride across Iowa. I am sorry that I have not taken names and dates but I haven’t. You can look through other threads if you are interested but the Register may have deleted some of them and some of the user accounts for all I know.

My advice to everyone is to make your decisions and respect those who have decided differently. The other ride may eventually have a forum of its own and if they do then please do not go there to make trouble. If people who have decided to stick with RAGBRAI want to do a little venting here about the situation (and we all know that I have!) that is fine. Just don’t cross post those comments to the other ride’s forum, should they start one. And keep in mind that everyone “over there” is our friend, no matter how much we may disagree with them on certain issues.

KenH, November 12, 2019 at 11:25 am

Jose, if we should bump into each other next summer then by all means let’s have a beverage together! The rest of you are welcome to join us. I was raised by Baptists so I do not have much of a taste for alcohol and when I do I favor cider over beer. But cider and beer drinkers can get along just fine together.

Jose Medina, November 12, 2019 at 11:53 am

KenH. Thats fine, I am not much into beer drinking either. I might have one a day on Ragbrai . I guess it was just a form of expression of getting together. Although I remember sitting on a curb one morning having a beer and chomping down on a turkey leg at 9:00 in the morning. I never do that all year , but you know after riding all morning , you lose track of time and 9:00 feels like 3:00 in the afternoon. Cider and a turkey leg will do. I will buy.

Papa T, November 14, 2019 at 2:33 pm

Well, I respect (worship is too strong a term) the princesses stature and also Ken H and Sandaltan. But Papa T would appreciate a chance to enter the fray.

The main thing to remember about the “rules” of Ragbrai (and I cant say this strongly enough)Is that there are NO rules :~). so If Ragbrai wants this to end well, They will wait till the Iowa Ride announces their route (late November) and then (wonder of wonder) announce that they have decided, after due deliberation, to use the same route (DUH). If they do this then everything starts to fall into place (Highway patrol, Anbulances, local police support, etc.)
If Ragbrai doesn’t do this then the whole shebang collapses. I really dont know, but I am doubtful that rural Iqwa has the human resources to pull it off.

klkoopman, November 14, 2019 at 8:23 pm

The nearly half century old RAGBRAI institution is going to collapse if it refuses to cow-tow to TJ and his merry band of 450 hard-core Iowa bike club members? It has to ask permission to tag along with his ride? Three quarters of the thousands of RAGBRAI registrants don’t even know there is some sort of controversy, or don’t care. Registration numbers may be down 5 to 10% in 2020 and the new staff will probably make some mistakes. So what?

mootsman, November 15, 2019 at 9:11 am

The nearly half century old RAGBRAI institution is going to collapse if it refuses to cow-tow to TJ and his merry band of 450 hard-core Iowa bike club members? It has to ask permission to tag along with his ride? Three quarters of the thousands of RAGBRAI registrants don’t even know there is some sort of controversy, or don’t care. Registration numbers may be down 5 to 10% in 2020 and the new staff will probably make some mistakes. So what?

It will be a transition year. And one person’s mistake could be just our adventure to adapt. Cyclists always adapt. Ex: Tree down across the road, hop off the bike and walk around (happened once). Possible example on RAGBRAI: too few Kybos?, knock on a door and (awkwardly) make a new friend.

Joseph Schlau, November 15, 2019 at 9:52 am

The nearly half century old RAGBRAI institution is going to collapse if it refuses to cow-tow to TJ and his merry band of 450 hard-core Iowa bike club members?

The IBC may have 450 members, but just because their executive board decided to jump from Ragbrai, does not necessarily mean that all their members will follow in lock step.

This thread was started 6 days ago to call attention to the silence on the IR website. Since then, their website has not been updated and no official news has emerged.

The only thing coming close was a posting was from Amanda, stating she had an email claiming the IR route would be announced “around November 23rd”.

When TJ split from Ragbrai he immediately took to the interview circuit reminding everyone with his bolstering statements about his honesty, transparency, and charitable intentions. Now after a month, still just silence. If I were one of the 450 faithful that gave their money in the name of honesty, transparency, and charity, I might be a bit anxious about the future of his ride or the fate of my money.

I know the IR site is offering reassurance by stating “It’s only October”, but the calendar says otherwise.

If anyone from IR or IBC has any facts, (not the endless reconciliation/ride merger speculation), I would like to hear it.

Sandaltan ., November 15, 2019 at 10:34 am

“If anyone from IR or IBC has any facts, (not the endless reconciliation/ride merger speculation), I would like to hear it.’ John, the ‘endless reconciliation/ride merger speculation’ you lament originates right here in this forum …. nowhere else. That endless conjecture is a disservice to RAGBRAI and the cyclists of Iowa. An out of state rider considering RAGBRAI for the first time and reading this forum would very possibly reject RAGBRAI because of all the turmoil and uncertainty. I am a member of the Iowa Bicycle Coalition, have spoken with the Director and can tell you that the organization has not chosen between the two rides and never will.

RIDE RIGHT

Joseph Schlau, November 15, 2019 at 11:02 am

Check out the Iowas Ride facebook, they just changed dates to run a week before RAGBRAI and will run east to west. They will refund anyone who can no longer ride. Said they heard feedback the parallel scheduling of IR and RAGBRAI was actually splitting teams which they did not intend.

This was a good decision for the riders.

That answers that question.

stuckinmizzou, November 15, 2019 at 1:32 pm

Although I guess it can be interpreted one way or another, it seems the Iowa Bicycle Coalition has made a choice (nowhere in the post did they mention that there could be 2 choices). An excerpt from the Iowa Bicycle Coalition’s Facebook post on October 17th: “The Iowa Bicycle Coalition and Iowa Bicycling Action Fund are endorsing the newly formed cross-state ride known as Iowa’s Ride (http://iowasride.com). Our organizations’ participation in and involvement with a large-scale, across-Iowa, weeklong bicycle tour has for the past 16 years been integral to advancing our mission of promoting safe end enjoyable bicycling through education, events, better policy, and a growing community of supporters. Supporting Iowa’s Ride will enhance public understanding and awareness of the Iowa Bicycle Coalition, promote bicycling culture overall, and contribute toward the state of Iowa’s reputation and economic vibrancy. All of these things align with the Iowa Bicycle Coalition’s strategic direction. We believe that Iowa’s Ride will be the most successful way to continue the iconic annual bicycle ride across Iowa, not only in 2020 but for many years to come. The team that has formed Iowa’s ride and that will be organizing and managing it have unmatched experience and success in doing so. They are the best hope for continuing this proud tradition. We also believe that a cross-state ride will be best operated and most likely to succeed as a stand-alone and independent entity. This is what Iowa’s Ride offers.”

Joseph Schlau, November 15, 2019 at 6:14 pm

“If anyone from IR or IBC has any facts, (not the endless reconciliation/ride merger speculation), I would like to hear it.’ John, the ‘endless reconciliation/ride merger speculation’ you lament originates right here in this forum …. nowhere else. That endless conjecture is a disservice to RAGBRAI and the cyclists of Iowa. An out of state rider considering RAGBRAI for the first time and reading this forum would very possibly reject RAGBRAI because of all the turmoil and uncertainty. I am a member of the Iowa Bicycle Coalition, have spoken with the Director and can tell you that the organization has not chosen between the two rides and never will.

RIDE RIGHT

Iowa Bicycle Coalition, and its spinoff Iowa Bicycling Action Fund, has endorsed a competing ride planned next summer for the same week as RAGBRAI called Iowa’s Ride, according to a statement from coalition director Mark Wyatt.

Maybe you should view this article published in the Gazette on October 17th

The endless ride merger/reconciliation speculation has ended since neither the ride nor former director will be part of Ragbrai.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thegazette.com/subject/news/iowa-bicycle-coalition-ragbrai-iowas-ride-mark-wyatt-20191017%3ftemplate=amphtml

just randy, November 15, 2019 at 6:36 pm

When was it announced that the IBC does not endorse RAGBRAI as an event that safely promotes cycling in Iowa? Or do a few individuals feel that the IBC is choosing one side because of our current society’s “us vs them” mentality where everyone must take sides?

I suspect that once the RAGBRAI leadership team is announced, the IBC Board of Directors will do their due-diligence and issue a similar press release about RAGBRAI.

Seems to me that there are more peace-loving cycle riders who prefer to live in peace with true Iowa kindness. I’m sure that is what the IBC hopes for along with its other safety initiatives.

jelly0317, November 15, 2019 at 6:52 pm

Call me crazy, but naming Iowa’s Ride as “the best hope for continuing this proud tradition” sounds a lot like making a choice.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015