Iowa’s Ride new dates

No longer competing with RAGBRAI

42 Replies

mootsman, November 15, 2019 at 4:15 pm

Still wondering…will there be a RAGBRAI?

There will be a RAGBRAI. This is why they changed the dates.

Don’t forget that RR is just a plant/troll from IR who registered for the forum after the whole issue went viral. But they must be new at it since it is very obvious.

mootsman, November 15, 2019 at 4:24 pm

Let’s hope the rides work together so some can attempt an “Iowa Double Cross” doing both in the same year. RAGBRAI should track IR riders doing both in the same year for a special “Iowa Double Cross” patch. I get bored nowadays by Wednesday and head home so it won’t be me riding both. I like that IR goes first to get the prevailing headwinds out of the way first.

This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by  mootsman.

Joseph Schlau, November 15, 2019 at 4:35 pm

Iowa double cross, that’s funny. Isn’t this what TJ was trying to pull off for the past 4 weeks.

The perfect double cross of his former employer.

Niles, November 15, 2019 at 5:14 pm

Not really want to stir up things. But it’s just too hard for me to rationalize the split character which is so intolerant to electrical bike rider but so cozy to person who double-crossed his long-time employer and is so sleazy about his motivation and intention.

“Bicycle Bill”, November 15, 2019 at 7:41 pm

Why would RAGBRAI create a patch acknowledging/promoting another ride?  And for that matter, you can ask the same question of TJ and the Iowa Ride bunch.

They may be forced to tolerate each other, and maybe even work with each other in the same way that two equally-powerful countries have to work together to avoid mutual destruction, but actual, active co-operation such as arranging the one ride to end in the start town of the other?  Not bloody likely.

BarryTantlinger, November 15, 2019 at 8:27 pm

It will still be a cold day in hell before I ride with TJ.

He’s a snake in the grass.

Chris, November 15, 2019 at 8:33 pm

John Karras has hinted that he might ride RAGBRAI on a recumbent this year. That would be great if he can do it. I assume he would ride only a token amount if he is able to do this at all.

Though I have no idea if Mr. Karras reads this forum, if he does:
You ride as far as you want any given day. A foot, a mile, whatever. When you’re done pedaling on your own, the biggest Tandem and Triple Bicycle Brigade in RAGBRAI history will literally tow you the rest of the distance so you can, once again, ride every foot.

No, I’m not kidding. It would be an honor to organize it.

(you can tow a Catlike recumbent with a tandem. Saw it done once).

KenH, November 15, 2019 at 10:41 pm

Last year there was a woman on a recumbent trike outfitted with a padded push bar for the convenience of those who were willing to help push her up hills. If JK wanted to do that he’d have a line of people 400 miles long patiently waiting their turn!

mootsman, November 16, 2019 at 8:23 am

Why would RAGBRAI create a patch acknowledging/promoting another ride? And for that matter, you can ask the same question of TJ and the Iowa Ride bunch.

They may be forced to tolerate each other, and maybe even work with each other in the same way that two equally-powerful countries have to work together to avoid mutual destruction, but actual, active co-operation such as arranging the one ride to end in the start town of the other? Not bloody likely.

The IDC patch? All in the spirit of cooperation BB. Love, peace and harmony return to the Iowa bike subculture….

Jboz, November 16, 2019 at 8:36 am

So, hypothetically if Iowa’s Ride ends in the town where RAGBRAI starts, AND if both rides have a common overnight or pass-through town in the middle of the week, it would be possible for a rider to partially participate in both rides – latter half of IR & first half of RAGBRAI.

Example: Drive your car to the Iowa’s Ride Wednesday night overnight town and park it. Camp there and ride IR Thursday through Saturday, ending up at the RAGBRAI start town in time for the Expo. Camp there and do RAGBRAI Sunday thru Tuesday (or Wednesday), your car is waiting, head home.

The rider could experience whatever unique elements IR has in store for a few days, jump in on the RAGBRAI fun and craziness, and eliminate the logistics of a one-way ride. I would do this in a heartbeat!

Ken Koprowski, November 16, 2019 at 8:43 am

That is a cool idea. Would make logistic sense for some folks.
I have to fly in – this will be a wait and see moment

So, hypothetically if Iowa’s Ride ends in the town where RAGBRAI starts, AND if both rides have a common overnight or pass-through town in the middle of the week, it would be possible for a rider to partially participate in both rides – latter half of IR & first half of RAGBRAI.

Example: Drive your car to the Iowa’s Ride Wednesday night overnight town and park it. Camp there and ride IR Thursday through Saturday, ending up at the RAGBRAI start town in time for the Expo. Camp there and do RAGBRAI Sunday thru Tuesday (or Wednesday), your car is waiting, head home.

The rider could experience whatever unique elements IR has in store for a few days, jump in on the RAGBRAI fun and craziness, and eliminate the logistics of a one-way ride. I would do this in a heartbeat!

John Richardson, November 16, 2019 at 8:52 am

I can only see this as a win, win and have now gone from not participation in any Iowa rides to riding across Iowa for 2 weeks. A very fortunate turn of events!

Jboz, November 16, 2019 at 8:54 am

That is a cool idea. Would make logistic sense for some folks.
I have to fly in – this will be a wait and see moment

For folks who have to fly in, it would be super easy if the common mid-ride town was Des Moines or a nearby suburb. Fly into Des Moines for the last half of IR, ride back to Des Moines for the first half of RAGBRAI…fly home. Easy peasy.

Logan Foltz, November 16, 2019 at 9:37 am

I’m still on the fence. Really don’t want to support TJ’s vanity project, but I do like the idea of eliminating the logistical headaches of a one-way ride. I also was considering doing Triple Bypass on 7/12 and the timing of starting a loop mid-week would line up perfectly.

The more interesting question to me is if RAGBRAI really wants to legitimize IR. I’m not sure I buy the “everyone wins” line of thinking right now; that is, the relationship between the two rides can be more collaborative than competitive. The way TJ went about this does not exactly foster trust and the foundations of a good partnership. Nor do I think it is likely IR has long-term viability as anything other than a prelude or encore for RAGBRAI. But RAGBRAI didn’t ask for another event to drag on its coattails, and if they want to post a route 100+ miles south of IR that goes through, say, Des Moines, I can’t really blame them for wanting to cut off the head of the snake. They might look like the bad guys this year, but RAGBRAI will still have 15,000+ riders and isn’t going anywhere.

Jboz, November 16, 2019 at 10:07 am

I’m not looking for a pound of flesh, and have no interest in taking sides in any family squabbles.

I just want to ride my bike. If these 2 rides can somehow coexist, provide more options, and improve riding in Iowa overall, then count me in. If they choose to snipe at each other, cannibalize and divide loyalties, and diminish riding in Iowa, then there are lots of other rides I can consider.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015