Join Us in July - Register Today!

Iowa’s Ride new dates

No longer competing with RAGBRAI

42 Replies

mootsman, November 16, 2019 at 10:38 am

[quote quote=1313131]So, hypothetically if Iowa’s Ride ends in the town where RAGBRAI starts, AND if both rides have a common overnight or pass-through town in the middle of the week, it would be possible for a rider to partially participate in both rides – latter half of IR & first half of RAGBRAI. [/quote]

Like this idea. With cooperation both rides they could promote it also and arrange for week long parking in the switch over town. Day passes in each direction and charters could promote their PBV like half-hog registrations. But half on a RAGBRAI charter and the other half on an IR charter. And the rides could provide a joint week long registration wrist band. And both rides would be better off for it. Riders win!

klkoopman, November 16, 2019 at 2:13 pm

This is all getting very complicated.

Jose Medina, November 16, 2019 at 2:22 pm

There is nothing messy or complicated about all this. If you have done Ragbrai before,nothing has to change . I am looking forward to my 31st and more. That is the only cross state ride I will do.

Ken Reed, November 16, 2019 at 2:38 pm

Vendors and bike shops are going to want numbers before they decide to invest any time and money into Iowa’s Ride. From the people I’ve talked to and from what I’ve seen from other cyclists, they aren’t excited about riding into headwinds and the sunset. I have my doubts TJ can get the numbers in order to make it worth while for vendors and bike shops.

jelly0317, November 16, 2019 at 3:20 pm

I always get a kick out of people talking about encountering headwinds when riding West. The predominant wind direction in Iowa in July is some variant of Southerly; it is as likely to be SE as SW.

Paul H, November 16, 2019 at 11:13 pm

I live in the Kansas City area and I’m also thinking about the Triple Bypass. It looks like a good challenge and would be a great experience!

Ken Koprowski, November 16, 2019 at 11:37 pm

I lived in Colorado the last 6 years triple bypass is a hard one. The biggest problem most out of staters deal with is the altitude – it can kick your butt.
I got sick a few times and I lived there ( beer might have helped )

Logan Foltz, November 17, 2019 at 5:23 am

I’m in Utah so I can handle the altitude, and I did Ride the Rockies last year. Wasn’t too hard for me. Triple Bypass would be a nice challenge and it would make the drive out to Iowa a lot less painful.

Joe Chavis, November 17, 2019 at 7:30 am

Well, this decision is almost perfect.Living in NC and traveling to Iowa (LONG DRIVE) for what will be my 24th consecutive ‘rag’ ride -I have been quiet. Until now. I have opinion galore but no sayso on the recent rift. I love Iowa – the state, it’s inhabitants and RAGBRAI(obvious?) .. but.being just another visitor -Mr.TJ hasn’t the slightest hint that I exist. I do know who he is.

I am officaly an old man now and have the luxury of being retired. If I can borrow $5 _ I should be able to ride BOTH rides now. YAY!!!! Mebbe I should have entered MY perfect solution earlier. ? Having Iowa’s Ride the week before RAGBRAI , using the same route BUT traveling EAST to WEST would be absolute HEAVEN…For me. That would have made it a Me ME memememe ME ME ride. Long drive to Iowa, ride Iowa’s ride…..turn ’round ride RAGBRAI…then long drive
home. Maybe next year?
PLUS ev’y year there is that pesky little (nevergonnahappen) rumor that RAGBRAI’s going to travel East to West. That’d end that speculation. I’m ’bout happy as a hog in mud…Thank you Mr. TJ thank You Iowa Thank you RAGBRAI

gas gas, November 17, 2019 at 7:59 am

2013 RAGBRAI Forum talking about East to West route . https://ragbrai.com/forums/topic/my-pitch-for-east-to-west-route/

Ken Koprowski, November 17, 2019 at 8:09 am

[quote quote=1313163]I’m in Utah so I can handle the altitude, and I did Ride the Rockies last year. Wasn’t too hard for me. Triple Bypass would be a nice challenge and it would make the drive out to Iowa a lot less

painful.[/quote]

Sweet you get it and you are a strong rider!!!!! That triple bypass is for those who are not right in the head!!!!!!!!!

Logan Foltz, November 17, 2019 at 9:12 am

[quote quote=1313166]

I’m in Utah so I can handle the altitude, and I did Ride the Rockies last year. Wasn’t too hard for me. Triple Bypass would be a nice challenge and it would make the drive out to Iowa a lot less

painful.

Sweet you get it and you are a strong rider!!!!! That triple bypass is for those who are not right in the head!!!!!!!!![/quote]
Well there are a plethora of tough canyons out here, but honestly from what I can tell RTR has softened quite a bit the last few years. I’ve heard ridership has dropped off and looking at past rides there were much tougher climb days than they had this year. Honestly I felt more spent after the 125 mile RAGBRAI century day than any of the RTR days in 2019.

Viewing 12 replies - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters