IR Could Follow RAGBRAI and Ride Back to Start Town

Instead of competing head to head, the IR could go on the week right after RAGBRAI and ride back to RAGBRAI’s start town. They could call doing both “The Iowa Double Cross” with a special patch for all who did both in 1 year. That way the 2 rides could complement each other instead of battling each other. Maybe some different pass-through and overnight towns on the return trip for some variety. Some riders would love 2 weeks of riding instead of one. Or people who couldn’t make RAGBRAI might get the following week off to do the IR.

This topic was modified 11 months ago by mootsman.

This topic was modified 11 months ago by mootsman.

16 Replies

Luv 2 Ski, November 1, 2019 at 1:16 pm

When this fiasco first unfolded I initially was not in either camp. As time went on and more information came out, and especially the interviews with TJ, it became obvious that splitting from RAGBRAI was in the works prior to the King event, and the reasons he stated for doing so seem very weak to me. TJ states that it is out of principle that he had to do this, well my principles say I can not support someone who seems to be trying to take down an institution that so many have come to love. I cannot support his actions. Therefore I would not support a joint ride between RAGBRAI and Iowa’s ride, and would not take part in TJ’s ride even if it was on a different route and different time.

Every year I would see TJ, shake his hand and thank him and his crew for all the hard work they put in to make the event so great. Never did I think it was his ride that would not be what it is without him. He was hired to do a job, and a job that he did very well, but he was not RAGBRAI. To me RAGBRAI is the combination of the people of Iowa, the towns they live in and the cyclists that ride the event.

I will be riding across Iowa in 2020 with RAGBRAI.

Viewing 16 replies (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015