RAGBRAI LI Weeklong and Day Passes available until 7/5!

Joe Mann, Musactine, Iowa, PBP rider

I was looking at a randonneurs site for the Paris Brest Paris ride and they show a pic of Joe Mann (who I looked up and is from Muscatine, Iowa) and the caption said “Joe from Iowa made it look easy”. He finished the ride in 64 hours 25 minutes, a very good time. I was wondering if any of you folks know him, being from Iowa, and I can’t help but think that he must be a RAGBRAI rider and uses it for training. Just curious. Thanks.

3 Replies

jwsknk, August 29, 2011 at 9:58 am

64:25 is a good time. 2 Skunks were there in France, Jerry was hoping to be in the 70’s , but the rain slowed him down, ended up with 87:10. Vickie bonked and was out at Brest, berween the food lines and what was available it just didn’t work for her.Another Skunk, Scott did his last (6th) in 1999 with a 44:45. He came third in 1979, though at just less than 49 hours he was four hours behind the winners. In 1983 he again came third, this time by only one hour. He won his first PBP in 1987 by breaking away in Brest, aided by a tailwind and a few strong riders from the “touring” group, which that year started many hours before the “racing” group. Dickson also won in 1991 and in 1995. Heres a link to something he wrote about training for it.http://www.rusa.org/newsletter/02-02-06.html

Numbers, August 29, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Hi “Skunky”, wow, 2 skunks there, your team must have some pretty tough riders on it. Diy your two skunks use RAG for training at all? I read Scott Dicksons tips and it sounds like he relied on a support crew often. I don’t know much about it, but I think it would be much easier and faster if you had your own support crew at each control stop. I think alot of riders rely only on what the event offers and probably have a slower time. I think the idea of the event being a randoneuring ride as opposed to a race may have been lost, too bad. Of course, I’d use what ever I could get my hands on just to finish the ride!!! I can’t imagine riding all the way across Iowa and then some in 60-70-80 hours!!! Ouch.

jwsknk, August 29, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Jerry and Scott did it, Vickie didn’t this year but plans on being back next year. Friday before RAGBRAI they usually get together and do a brevet, a 200k maybe.

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XL – 2012’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters