The Great Iowa Fall Ride registration is open!

Join the Marine Corps parents' team, Da'MoMs

I started this team in 2017 in Hope’s to slowly grow it into one big family of Marine Corps parents who ride together on RAGBRAI and display our support for our Marines!! Are you a parent of a Marine? Are you riding alone or just looking to connect with other Marine Corps parents? Then come join us on Team Da’MoMs (Dads and Moms of Marines)!!
Feel free to join my Teak Da’MoMs Facebook group to stay updated on the team, registration, riders, etc…

https://www.facebook.com/groups/273501446368347/?ref=share

11 Replies

Heather Sims, February 18, 2019 at 2:29 pm

I apologize if my title was misleading…
This group is not affiliated with or an entity of the Marine Corps itself.

T. Gap Woo, February 18, 2019 at 9:04 pm

Oorah, Mrs Sims!

Although I ride solo, I’d be honored to ride along side your group at some point. Son Pfc Woo served two tours in Iraq during Operation Iraqi Freedom and Son-in-law Woo served one tour in the Army. I ride in their honor.

Look for me along the route. I’ll be flying US, Pennsylvania, USMC and Army flags on my helmet.

Thanks to all vets for their service. Semper fi.

See you along the I-O-Way in July.

francoisvanzyl, February 20, 2019 at 12:28 pm

Marines only? I have 3 sons in the services (Air force, Army and Navy). The Air force and Navy guys have done RAGBRAI with me but unfortunately none of them will be able to this year. For some reason the military is not too worried about me riding bikes across states. I will be honored to ride with other military parents as well.

Heather Sims, February 20, 2019 at 2:39 pm

I will NOT turn anyone away that wants to proudly support our military and show their pride as a military parent!! I started Team Da’MoMs a couple of years ago as I had observed that the Marine Corps seemed to be the smallest represented branch on RAGBRAI and I wanted to find a way to connect with other Marine Corps parents. However, I won’t discriminate as I feel that all branches are important and it is about showing our supporting for our military men and woman and our pride for them as parents, as well as for us parents to connect with one another and expand our support system!! So you are absolutely welcome to join the group and ride with us. I say “us” loosely, because the past 2 years it has basically been me riding solo. I have had other Marine parents join the team and ride along with me a day or two, but I’ve been the sole week long rider of the group. Regardless of whether you ride the entire week or just a day or two, you are welcomed with open arms to be a part of Team Da’MoMs!! Maybe I should change Da’MoMs to stand for “Dads and Moms of Militarians!” ? Just an FYI, my hope is that someday Team Da’MoMs will grow enough so that it includes team members who don’t particularly want to ride, but would prefer to be the support driver for us all. But each year, if I am not able to secure anyone as a driver through the team itself, I always have a family member or friend ready on stand-by to be the support driver for me and anyone else that rides with me! Last year was a special year for me as my Marine son ended up being my support driver for the entire week!

Heather Sims, February 20, 2019 at 2:47 pm

Oohrah T.Gap Woo! I would be honored to ride along side you as well! I thank your sons for their service and just as importantly, thank you for supporting them and our military! I will be looking for you along the I-O-Way. Be on the lookout for me as well, I’ll be the tiny woman wearing my red Team Da’MoMs shirt, riding my red vintage Bridgestone bicycle (which I hope to have decorated with Wonder Woman gear/colors and a little USMC flag waving behind my seat)! I’ll be watching for you along the route!!

Dizzy, February 21, 2019 at 10:05 pm

Heather,
Best of luck in recruiting new team members.
To those responding on the thread, thank you for supporting Heather and your own children in their service to our country. I’m 3rd generation military and was always supported from home. It makes such a difference.
All the best, D

Heather Sims, February 22, 2019 at 9:03 pm

Thank you Dizzy and than you for.your service!!

Joe Chavis, February 24, 2019 at 5:36 am

Hi kids. Love this idea. I can not ride with you guys as a Da’MoM. However as a Da BeenIn. I’d love to wave at ya and speak if I see you. Served in the Corps 1969-1971. And remember, the Marines are actually a department of the Navy. The “mens” department. Have Safe Be Fun.

Heather Sims, February 24, 2019 at 11:35 am

Hi Joe! Thank you for your service! Love the Da BeenIns!! LOL!! Hope to meet you along the route this year!

Kevin Wright, February 25, 2019 at 10:38 am

i would like to ride in the first 4 days, ending in indianola
i would love to be a part of this group, having 2 Marine sons myself
can you send me some details about what to do
i am a first time rider in RAGBRAI

Heather Sims, February 25, 2019 at 5:15 pm

Hi Kevin! Welcome to Team Da’MoMs and to RAGBRAI!! You will have so much fun! To start, the easiest thing to do is register. When you go to the registration page, one of the steps will ask you if you want to join a group. Type in DaMoMs and our group should pop up. The registration process is pretty straight forward and it walks you through everything in that regard. Once you have registered, feel free to join my Team Da’MoMs FB group. I have found this is the easiest way for me to communicate with people and keep folks updated on what is happening with the group. Each year is different and I never know if I’m riding solo or if there will be a group of us. Once we have everyone registered who is riding, then I start to work out all the details with everyone about support drivers, meeting up with one another, etc. And any questions you have, they can be answered there too! Let me know if you have any questions at this point! Oooh Rah!!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI